a routing question about sidechaining

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Grajnd

a routing question about sidechaining

Post by Grajnd »

Hello, i have been tryed out sidechaining the kick/bass with great results, but i wonder how to keep the drums as a whole unit, as i dont know how to route the drumkick.

i'll try to explain it like this..

my drumkit goes to "group 6" but when i sidechain my kickdrum (through effect return) the kick goes to (for example) "group 5" where it meets the bass guitar. how can i route the sidechained kickdrum back to group 6? or is it not possible within MTS?

i hope i made myself somehow clear, btw im quite new to sidechaining.
thanks in advance- Rolf
Saz

Post by Saz »

Hi Rolf - I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding your routing and whether you are "ducking" or "triggering" the bass guitar with the kick.

Do you have the bass guitar going to a group?

Hmmm - is there any way you could post a screenshot of your project?
Grajnd

Post by Grajnd »

hello, sorry for the delay, and thanks for your concern. i've uploaded a pic of my problem here- *removed*

the open compressor, is the basschannel which is triggered by the kick.

my question is still, can i route the sidechained drums (OH sidechains with snare/toms, bass sidechain with kick) to ONE group after that?

anyhow, this thread made my try out this method. http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/show ... 56&page=15

just scroll down a bit, where it says, "Part 5: mixing"
the guy, "Oz" who wrote the article, will elaborate more about sidechaining.

ok, done for now, thanks, and have a great weekend. im gonna go and watch Superman at the cinema soon. :)
Rolf

edited removed the clipboardpic
Saz

Post by Saz »

Saz wrote:Hmmm - is there any way you could post a screenshot of your project?
Wow! There's an old saying here - "be careful of what you ask for, you just might get it!" :lol:

Seriously, you're project is using much more routing than I've ever used. I've had up to 30 tracks, but with no more than 2 effects sends and 2 groups. When I have separate drum tracks in a project, I'll do processing on/in each track and then send them to one group.

I may be missing something here, but I can't see a way to bring all your groups back to one group(without creating some phase problems). This looks like a job for Giel. If no one else replies, send him an email at MTS Support and point him to this thread.

Oh - some good info to know if you don't - for best results(less chance of glitches), render all midi tracks to wav and use only wav files for the final mix. Learned that from Mac a few years ago. :)
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I have nothing to add except that this is the most flexable software i have ever seen when it comes to routing and work flow it blows the competition away.
Grajnd

Post by Grajnd »

I think i have to go with youre advice saz, bouncing the drums to its own track and then i can have totally control of the kit. (but then i dont know how the bass will sidechain with the kick, oboy another headache upcoming ;-)

I tryed before like you said to not use much groups and sends, but i came to the conclusion, that I used way to much fx on every channel, so therefore i do like this. (i if i remember right, i liked the sound of it more) the groups are lead song, background song, bass, guitar and drums.

but hey, I learn as long as i live, im trying to track stuff right at the beginning so i dont have to use much fx etc.

anyway, i've read several topics at kvr about sidechaining, and you read about quadro and sub-groups here and there, is that possible with MTS? i guess it comes down to experiance and how to solve problems, to bad that i have to be a scientist when you only will make music :? but trials are to be overcome!

ok, enough of the filosifia, time to relax (play music)
(btw the movie Superman returns was quite cool, but not better then Batman begins! :wink: )

thanks Rolf
Support

Re: a routing question about sidechaining

Post by Support »

Grajnd wrote:how can i route the sidechained kickdrum back to group 6? or is it not possible within MTS?
That's currently not possible.
Grajnd

Post by Grajnd »

support, thanks, then i know!

Rolf
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

What would happen if you took an Effect Return 8 and fed the drums and Group 6 through it? If that was a stupid question feel free to give a stupid answer :lol:
Grajnd

Post by Grajnd »

sinbad:
i actually thought about your tip, but never tried it, until now. the good is that I can put vst in the Effect Return 8 slot for the drums, as a unit, but the bad, the return volume fader doesnt affect the group volume levels.

if there isnt a workaround for that?.. well to bad i dont know a crap about real mixingboards? i'll just tweak around until it sounds right.. :wink:

Rolf
Mac

Post by Mac »

Perhaps you could google up a free VST compressor that has a sidechain on it and try using that instead.

I remember finding one once, but there are so many out there now that I couldn't find it quickly or would have posted a link for you, but there certainly should be some out there, try the KVR site for one place where there are more effects than you can count.

Over here I would just patch one of my two UREI rackmount hardware comps with sidechain on them and do it "outside the box" (grin). If you are seriously into sidechaining and ducking, you might consider a hardware unit investment. I bought mine used for next to nothing, a matched pair that a band had bought and found out they didn't use much in the live PA rack. Careful shopping is a must in this game IMO.

--Mac
Grajnd

Post by Grajnd »

ok, time to wrap up and close this "animal". i have bought this plugin http://www.db-audioware.com/dB-D-dynami ... r-more.htm which does Sidechain, and its soooo simple that even me can use it!! :wink: :)

Mac
i guess you thought about Slim slide slow's plugins?
i have a hardware compressor, but it doesnt have sidechain functions.

ok, thank you everyone for your contributions, and being a nice and helpful forum!

-Rolf
(i have removed the clipboard picture)