Some general audio recording questions

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
412_drums

Some general audio recording questions

Post by 412_drums »

Hello, I currently have a trial verisoun of Mixcraft, not mts, but i have run into a problem. With mixcraft, anything that is run thru ur mixer and is recorded is put as 1 track. When we recorded in a studio, everyone recorded together so i could finalize drum tracks, everyone else just recorded scratch tracks along with me. those tracks of drums were saved but the rest of the bands tracks were deleted and recorded over. is there a way on any program to seperate the induvidual tracks without recording them serperatly? so that we can save those drum tracks and then mute or delete the rest of the bands tracks and record them again later.
Mac

Post by Mac »

If all the instruments are recorded together on one mono or stereo track, the answer is easy enough: "No" sorry.

There is no known code or program able to sort out and separate instruments and voices from the audio PCM digital track.

Maybe someday, don't hold your breath, computing power plus what we know has a long way to go before it could do that.

--Mac
412_drums

Post by 412_drums »

how would u suggest we record? the only thing we can think of is to run only my drums thru the board and pray it doesn't pick up any other instruments playing in the same room as me. (they'll be going thru amps)
Mac

Post by Mac »

You should look into a multiple input soundcard first, unless you already have one, also a mixer that features INSERTS so you can route each channel separately to one of the soundcard inputs.

What are you currently using for a soundcard?

Bleedthrough is going to be a problem. Solved in some studios by using an isolation room for the drums, which have to be mic'd, a separate room for the amps etc. Using direct input for the guitars, as in through a digital amp/cabinet simulator can obviate the need for the separated and soundproofed rooms, though. The guitars listen through headphones to hear themselves, the mics only hear the drums in the room.

But you are in for more problems. Timing can usually be a problem when multitrack recording. Use of a CLICK TRACK is the glue we use to be able to hold it all together. Musicians who are not used to working with a metronome/click track will likely have problems with this -- at first. But it solves many many problems further down the line and I heartily recommend using a click track from the beginning. Especially if your goal is to overdub parts later.

If you don't have a multiple input soundcard, you may want to try your hand at recording the whole shebang into two stereo channels at once. This doesn't give you many mixdown options but can often be done with what you have on hand. Remember that many many great vintage recordings were done in this fashion "back in the day". And you gain recording experience doing this. Later on that experience will show itself when you have more capable soundcards and the like.

--Mac
amith

Post by amith »

hello....
I'm Amith here.....

I too have the same problem.....
Actually,i want to record 4 or 5 instruments at a time and also such tat each instrument goes to a different track...
The recording is done in my room...
Is it possible to do this...???

If yes,wat r the things required....

I already have an amplifier,a mixer and mics.....

Where do we get multiple input soundcards as mentioned here.....n also,wat is a mixer with inserts......i have a normal mixer with 12 inputs for mics.........is tat enuf??
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

It is all up to the sound card is it has multiple inputs then a mixer or interface will make it happen, but you need that , or a firewire interface.
teej813

Post by teej813 »

What you're talking about is multi-channel recording. Most basic soundcards are stereo. You need a sound card that will handle more than 2 tracks.

To get an overview of the equipment you need and how to get it working, check out http://www.audiominds.com.

teej