Any way to filter out an echo?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
HDK

Any way to filter out an echo?

Post by HDK »

Hello folks,
I'm in Morocco for a year working at a English language school and one of my tasks is to record dialogs for the students. Not exactly stunning work, but I do want to do a good job, and the recording conditions are not great. I close mic the folks talking, but there is still an echo from the rooms I have to work in (concrete floors & plaster walls!). I understand the basics of sound editing but wondered if there was a way to "dry" up the sound in MTS.

Suggestions? (Yea, I know, get a carpet...)

Regards,
-HDK
Mac

Post by Mac »

I have never found anything that can totally eliminate an echo or reverb that is already on at track.

Have tried Gating, with some small success, but if someone else talks before the Gate releases, or if one person is talking kind of fast and the amplitude of their voice drops between words, you lose the word.

But the Gate concept is the only real thing to try there, other than treating that room somehow.

You might find joy by using a Pressure Zone "flyswatter" type of microphone against a flat surface like a tabletop, the Shure "conference" mics do a pretty decent job for recording meetings and conferences and the joy of the Pressure Zone concept is that you really only need one mic to pick up all sound in the room.

--Mac
HDK

Post by HDK »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm using Shure WL-183s (lapel mics), but the school does have a boundry mic and I'll give it a try. I think you are right, the best thing would be to treat the room not the recording. I wonder if they will spring for half a dozen carpets, even one for the floor would help!

-HDK
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

This doesn't work, I know that - but maybe someone can tell me why it won't work (*)

You have a recording from a room with a reverb and echo problem. OK, so place the same mic in the same position as the recording and use an impulse signal from a speaker to get the reverb response of the room.

Now (in some way) invert the reverb response and use it to add anti-reverb to the original recording and hey! all the echo vanishes :D

Pete

(*) If it does work and no-one has thought of it, I invented it, OK?
Mac

Post by Mac »

snaarman wrote: Now (in some way) invert the reverb response
And therein lies the rub as they say.

When you figure out the "in some way" part, you're rich.

--Mac
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

Hmm. So its duvets and carpets then...

P