Not enough effects slots!

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Frusciante

Not enough effects slots!

Post by Frusciante »

Hello everyone,

I have a vocal track in which I use a noisegate, a compressor, then an EQ in the 3 only effects slots available for the track.

How can I add chorus, reverb, exciter and other effects available when I don't have other effects slot available?

Should I record the track and then apply the new effects? (it lessens my flexibility to adjust the three prior effects)

I thought sending the track to a group and apply the new effects to the group track created. I think it's the best solution.

Is there any other/better way ?
Frusciante

Post by Frusciante »

Oh and I forgot,

what's your favorite order of effects for vocal?

Should the compressor be before of after the noise gate? Should the EQ be at the beginning or at the end of all the effects?

I know it might depend on the result that you're looking for... if you have tested things that did the result you were looking for, maybe you want to share it with us?

thanks!
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

First i do not generally place that many effects on one vocal, i usually place them in an effects buss, then dial in the amount i need to each track. one buss or send for each effect. but however if you need more on one track just add a multi effect plug in the last slot and add up to 6 more i believe.
Frusciante

Post by Frusciante »

OK, sounds interesting.

Yeah I've found the Multieffects. Now I can have 18 different effects for a single track!! BUt I know Less effects is better.
I guess it's allright for effects like echo and reverb to be sent to an effects buss since it uses the original signal to make the effect afterward. THe vocal track doesn't need any changes by itself. However, If i need to EQ the vocal, would this same arrangment work?

For example, If you turn down the fader of the vocal track while keeping the effects return fader all the way up, you only hear the reverb, so the reverb is not being applied onto the vocal track, it's only being send out to the master. (If I understand correctly)

What do I do for EQ ? SHould I do the same and turn the fader down on the original track and keep the effects send of the EQ up inorder to hear the EQ'd track?

One final question, what about post effects? Let's say I use Chorus and reverb each on seperate effects send, if I need to EQ the sound after these effects, how should I arrange the ins an outs?

I guess I'm simply an EQ freak, trying to be sure every instrument will have their place in the frequency range. I want pre-effects EQ and post-effects EQ. THat's why I need so much of these slots.

Let me know if i'm being a pain in the ass!
Mac

Post by Mac »

You can set the amount of "Wet" or "Dry" for an effect placed in a group.

Usually when using an effect on a group you want to set it for complete 100% Wet and then use the sends and receives to apply the amount of the effect. If the effect is still bypassing itself as in the way it would be used on a single track, your group effect is likely to sound very watered down even at high send settings.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I usually place an EQ in the first slot of the main, the next a spectrum analyser and follow that with a master liniter to fill the master buss, the adjust the EQ using the SA and the remove it after i like the sound.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

I don't know about your other questions, but a noise gate should go before a compressor. Otherwise the gain of the compressor might make the noise too loud to be gated properly. However, it's probably not much of an issue most of the time either way.