Voice sound mastering

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Vaidas

Voice sound mastering

Post by Vaidas »

The main problem I have. If I form the recorded voice to a pleasant warm hearing throw headphones, finaly from the other acoustic systems I have too fat (I meen the efficiency of low frequencies) sound.
I thing it is necessary to narrow the primary scale of voice record frequencies and after try to get final comfortable result. But I fear that in this way a lot of original sound characteristics would be lost. What is the best way for voice sound mastering?
What an order of actions must be applied: noisegate, normalising, equalising or etc or, may be something otherwise?.
May be, somebody experienced in Voice sound mastering would help me with an advice how to start work with a rough voice records and in which order I can reach final results, comfortable enough for any acoustic systems, using MTStudio.

Additional information (if usefull): voice I record with a dynamic TDK microphone through Phonic mixer (whithout use of any effects) to a PC at 16 bit rate.
Usually I record only an acoustically "mainained " songs. So the main problem for me is the mastering of accoustic sound.

I should appreciate for any answer. Thanks in advance.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I don't think you should be using headphones for this purpose at all.

A good set of Nearfield Monitors plus a lot of reference listening on them before attempting to Master is the only way I know how to do it properly.

As for recommended plugins or settings, again, the only way I know how to do this properly is to get to know the two main devices, which would be the EQ, both Graphic and Parametric, plus the Audio Compressor as much as you can. Then practice with them, trying to match your sound to your target reference recordings.

"Reference Recordings" are any commercially mixed an mastered recordings you have that are of about the same genre as what you are attempting to make yourself. Often, going back and forth and A-B comparing your mix to the Reference Recording can lead you to determine what is different about your mixes.

These words may disappoint, but I can only tell you the truth from my experience.

--Mac