isolating vocals from music

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
skulli

isolating vocals from music

Post by skulli »

hello and please have patience since im just starting my adventure into this area.

i was looking for a program to isolate the music from the vocals and even go as far as isolating the different types of instruments.

does this product do this? i tried read the FAQ's and the list of stuff it does but to a cat just learning about this its a bit out of my league.

any help or suggestions would be great ty again
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Generally speaking, isolating a sound from a completed mix is not possible. There are VST plugins called vocal removers that claim to do it, but there are always issues with it.

What most vocal removers do is filter out the mono center-panned at frequencies where voice is prominent.

Because voice is most often panned to the center, cancelling out the center at those frequencies results in music with less voice.

However, in many situations vocals are processed in stereo so it would not work. Furthermore, other instruments overlap in frequencies with the voice, so they would get filtered out also.

Some people say vocal removing is like trying to take the eggs out of a cake after you bake it.

The proper way to remove any element of a song is during mixing, before the multitrack mixes the tracks down to stereo. Aside from that, the best thing you can use is a parametric EQ to notch filter out some sounds such as power suppy hum/buzz. The parametric EQ works best for sounds that remain at a fixed pitch so you can set a narrow filter just wide enough to get the sound. There are of course VST parametric equalisers you can download for free.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Currently (and likely for the forseeable future) there is no way to separate instruments or vocals cleanly from a mixed down stereo or mono track.

Even if the equipment/software to do so were obtainable, there would be considerable legal hassles in doing such to consider, too.

--Mac
skulli

isolating

Post by skulli »

what would you recomend for possibly just getting some guitar or musical tracks from music?
Mac

Re: isolating

Post by Mac »

skulli wrote:what would you recomend for possibly just getting some guitar or musical tracks from music?
"getting from music" as in off of prerecorded CDs, etc. is not recommended and doesn't work.

There are companies that sell "backing tracks" -- that might be the way to go for you, if you intend to do target songs that are already written. Search online for them. Other companies make MIDI backing tracks, you can also download a lot of free MIDI files of popular songs, with a good midi synth or the sampler you can use those in MTS and record vocals, etc. on new tracks to go along with them. Study. That's the key.

--Mac
tbradfish

Post by tbradfish »

Take at look at Goldwave (ww.goldwave.com) It's free and it has voice removal tool that's pretty good.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

tbradfish wrote:Take at look at Goldwave (ww.goldwave.com) It's free and it has voice removal tool that's pretty good.
MTS is a professional recording software. Your comparing a Rollsroyce to a bicycle here. I have been to few talent shows where karaoke music was the backup music and let me tell you that its no hard to tell the differences between a well recorded karaoke that was done in a studio vs one where a vocal remover software was applied to it. If you want quality use MTS to record your tracks or do what Mac suggested, you can search online or bye them. Vocal remover don't cut in my book whether its free or not. Quality comes first, and that's what MTS delivers.
tbradfish

Post by tbradfish »

Geeze! Sorry I mentioned it.......