Using Control Surfaces

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
NystagmusE

Using Control Surfaces

Post by NystagmusE »

I was thinking about getting this control surface: http://www.fruity-loops.com/item--EM.MA-9900-40851-00

What kinds of things could I do with this and control surface settings ?
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

From the manual "The Studio menu's Control Surface option pops up the Control Surface Settings window. Here you can assign control surface knobs to specific functions using the Learn function. Ready to use presets for the TranzPort (Frontier Design Group), the BCF2000 (Behringer) and the UC33 (Evolution) are provided." Other may and will work but most likely will need to be mapped.
mcairenius

Post by mcairenius »

You can manipulate midi sounds like adding realtime pan change
the way midi sounds sound, it basically adds more fun than rather
adding effects to a midi track by hand. I have keystation pro88
and it has a built in control surface, realtime is the key word here.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

mcairenius wrote:You can manipulate midi sounds like adding realtime pan change
the way midi sounds sound, it basically adds more fun than rather
adding effects to a midi track by hand. I have keystation pro88
and it has a built in control surface, realtime is the key word here.
I just looked up your KeyStation Pro 88 controller on the M-Audio website. That's an amazing looking controller. I didn't know such a thing existed.

Thanks for your comments.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Today I got the Evolution X-Session USB MIDI control surface in the mail.
It is compact and lightweight. I had some trouble with the installation program, but I was able to install the drivers manually into the system folder.

I fired up MultitrackStudio and assigned some functions to the X-Session with the Learn button. Everything is working just fine.

I recommend this control surface for anyone who needs one compact and easy to use. The other nice thing about it is the knobs are not continuous dials. That way you can turn the knob from minimum to maximum without it jumping back down to minimum again if you turn it too far.

http://www.m-audio.ca/products/en_ca/XSession-main.html

It has 16 assignable knobs, 10 assignable buttons, and one assignable DJ-style fader.

If anybody needs to know how to manually install the drivers I can tell you how.