Headphone jack

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
ravenmusic

Headphone jack

Post by ravenmusic »

Hi there, its been quite a while since I have done some serious recording, just been too busy with not much spare time. At last I have been able to afford some decent monitors and a power amp, they arrived yesterday, previously I have relied on my old hi fi amp and speakers. The new monitors are Tannoy 6 and the amp is an Alesis. Immediately on setting up these new goodies to my computer I noticed the difference in the sound coming from the monitors, so much more clarity in every sound, could hear the subtleties that my old hi fi just simply missed. It will no doubt be another learning curve as my ears and brain adjusts to this new set up.

However, there is one little issue, I didn?t think to check the spec on the amp for a headphone jack, the Alesis does not have one. I did a search on the forum earlier and found a thread that suggested using an A/B switch this connects two amps together but allows for switching between the two amps??? just when I thought I had got rid of my old hi fi amp??? the hi fi does of course have a headphone jack. I?ve done a quick search on the internet and the only type of A/B switch I could find were of the guitar foot peddle type, perhaps this could work. This is not a huge problem but I find headphones useful for checking mixes. Would appreciate any suggestions though.

Thanks
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Here is a switch from Radio Shack that you can use on two audio sources with RCA connectors: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search (if that link doesn't work, try below)

http://RadioShack.com
( Look in Home >> Home Entertainment >> Accessories )

2-Way Audio/Video Selector Switch
$15.99
Model: 15-1982
Catalog #: 15-1982

There is also a 4-Way Audio/Video Selector Switch on the site.
Mac

Post by Mac »

You can also simply daisy chain the two.

Soundcard line output to Record Input or AUX (CD) on stereo.

Record Out of stereo to the new speakers.

Use the Record switch on the stereo as your AB switch.

Quite okay to run transistor output stereo without speakers attached. No harm.

--Mac
ravenmusic

Post by ravenmusic »

MrHope, I checked the link to audio shak but they are not shipping internationaly at the moment. Now I know what to look for there are stacks of switches on ebay, thanks.

Mac, sounds like a quick and easy solution, I'll try this out first before forking out on a switch, thanks.
ravenmusic

Post by ravenmusic »

Mac, your suggestion worked fine.
Mac

Post by Mac »

You may just want to keep the old system and speakers hooked up and be able to A-B compare for awhile.

This can come in real handy for more than one reason.

You can do your mixes on those new monitors and then give 'em a quick check on the kind of system your audience may have...

--Mac