Interesting thought

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

Interesting thought

Post by Robomusic »

Everyone's raves about Reaper on so many of the other forums. I have downloaded it three or four times to take a look. But i can not see the advantage over MTS. even though it has a ton of features to me it still lacks a lot.

1. It is reletively complicated, compared to MTS, even Cakewalk is easier to use. there are so many things to figure out just to route things that are right in front of your nose here.

2. there are many missing features or at least they are hidden, but i can't find them.

a. midi is woefully lacking, no piano roll, no staff view that i can find.

b. adding synths is twice as hard, and far less obvious.

3. effects are more confusing, and less well defined. no presets (enter mac on presets) but they are a good starting point to learn the product.

4. Who wants to fool with a program that is changing everyday, you spend most of your time upgrading and not recording.

5. lanes, there was a ton of talk about lanes over at audiominds, while nice this can be done here very easily, just do a second track and cut and paste the good parts over the bad, i do it all the time i do three takes of a vocal and then cut and paste better parts over bad ones and get on complete track

Conclusion, I am still amazed at what lengths folks go to avoid the simplicity and productivity of this software. I have found very few things this program will not do, and most of those are better kept in a second product anyway. What is it does this software just look to simple to be as complex as it is? I felt that way at first, until it sunk in.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I hear ya bro, but you?re preaching to the converted here. But you?re right, it is only image that counts with most people. Otherwise how can you explain why folks buy Ferraris, Porsches and the like. They?re loud, uncomfortable, but they?re sexy, and they have the image. Just look at the Hummer, a crappy old Jeep ersatz. Put the Terminator behind the wheel and pimp it up a bit, up the price, and you have a winner.
There is nothing as weird as folk. :wink:
NystagmusE

MTS is cool

Post by NystagmusE »

I tried to install Reaper on my computer and it crashed every time during loading up of VST and DirectX modules. I couldn't be bothered with trying to figure out which VST plugin was causing the problem because I have a few hundred VST's. Also, it's not easy to remove DirectX plugins from the computer system because they are registered in the registry. And some other programs depend upon certain DirectX plugins to be present on the system.

The nice thing about MTS is if a plugin fails, it just keeps working. And MTS doesn't try to load up every single plugin like Cubase or Reaper does. So you aren't limited to how many VST's you can have in your plugins folder.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I installed it and it ran, but i could not find anything on it everything was hidden. The bussing everyone talks so glowing about is so confusing.

Here in MTS you want a reverb buss, drag an effects return, right click and add reverb, dial in the desired amount to each track. You want to send to groups fine drag a group buss clcik and route any and all to it or another. and everything is right in front of your face.

And as far as midi editing MTS has some very interesting midi tools, they are a tad different i might add, but you can take a midi note and turn it into a chord with a mouse click, you can type in chords and turn it into a backing track.

But the killer for me in MTS is still the sampler, i have used SFZ, Jeskola, and other font players, and they all drove me nuts. i have read post after post of folks struggling to make decent midi tracks that sound good. With the sampler i can make quality backing tracks from free midi files in minutes, i did one start to finish the other night in 15 minutes for a little show my brother in law and i are doing for my parents anniversary party. I am shocked still i guess at how few actually give this program a whirl. I have shown it to so many people and they chose to use other things that do not work half as well. There was a guy i know who had the cakewalk MC program, and it was causing him some level of grief, i e-mailed him and he took a look at this and then promptly dropped $300 bones to upgrade to Sonar, now he has expensive problems.
tmon

Post by tmon »

Yeah, the sampler is fantastic, but "Cycle Recording" is what has closed the door on me thinking of moving to another app.

MTS is elegant in its simplicity and reliability.

Not something the "masses" are interested in, unfortunately.

I would like to see a bit more behind the marketing plan and budget for MTS, just to keep the developer happy, tho. He certainly deserves it.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

That is really all i wish for, that the user base would grow at a decent rate, that way the development will continue.

Over at audio minds they talk about all the deep and complex features in Reaper. Most of which i can't find or even begin to figure out how to use.

I want to record music and finish projects not spend my time digging deep into a program reinventing the wheel and creating my own effects. the ones here are very good. Since i really used the effects here i very seldom use anything else from outside, i just have no need. i seldom use VSTi except Sampletank 2 free, PS-fretted, Jamstix, because the sampler does it all. The only area i need to upgrade is strings and brass sounds.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Then why concern yourself about it?

I don't.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Mac, I guess you are right as usual, i do not know why it bugs me must, be a wierd quirk of my own i guess.

Back to making music.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Yeah the sampler is great for instruments. My computer isn't so powerful, so I can't run some VST instruments without using up most of my CPU time. But I can still record them and use them as samples.
I do use some VST instruments too of course, just not the processor hogging ones.