MTS - Moog Modular V and Korg Legacy M1 "Softsynths&quo

Post links to songs you recorded using MultitrackStudio.
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

Did those Moogs have tude rectifiers? :idea: Not exactly the perfect way to regulate.
Mac

Post by Mac »

No-no, the Mini Moog was all solid state.

It is just that the original circuit design didn't use voltage regulation that would not change with temperature, and in an analog synth that is all voltage controlled, well. Don't know if Bob Moog actually knew about the problem at the time or not. Likely he didn't, he wasn't a musician really. But resistive voltage dividers? Hey, I'm sure he learned about the pitch control demands of musicians soon enough!

Later models did have some things to help the situation out a lot.

Still, pros would pay dearly for the precision mod. Series pass darlington transistor controlled by zener diode with capacitance multiplication was what I did to them at first.

--Mac
nickb2009

Post by nickb2009 »

"theremin - thermionic valve".....Not too worried about that on this side of the pond. Although I am concerned you are using aluminum inside of aluminium :D

Bob Moog......Saw a great documentary on the Performance Channel earlier this year where he mentioned they wasn't even sure about adding a keyboard to their devices, but he was persuaded into it.

Theremin.....Actually saw a great documentary as well about him. A modern performer (not sure who, about the late 1990's) was interested to know what happened to him. He couldn't find out when he died. And was shocked to discover he was still living in Russia. The programme followed his journey to meet him and talk about his earlier electronic instrument

"MidsummerNachtstrum".....We had a quick Moog Mod V stab at it. My partner Krissy are the dumb and dumber of the recording world. I can't read a note and have to listen about 200 times to any piece to work it out, she reads music better than English but only plays guitar. But from her former music college can get hold of ths sheet music for almost anything. So we get there in the end. Just a quick laying down of early tracks and ideas for further experimentation and work. Done in a Wendy Carlos style.....

http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/msndtest001.mp3

Nick B
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

That's what I thought, solid state, that is. I could only imagine the problems one would encounter with a tube.

Bravo Nic!!

May I take a bow?

Let's say, that I only play guitar and the keys, well, let say I become very lost on the first try.

I think I'll tell our keyboard player, Bill about the Moog VST. He'd have a hard time letting it go.

Cheer,

Mike
nickb2009

Post by nickb2009 »

Hi Mike,

Wish I could play the guitar. Tried it a few times but with very little success (and some sore fingertips :shock: ). I think it's having to do 2 different things at the same time. I had spacial visuaisation issues with the way notes are accessed. The strumming thing is what I feel is lost to keyboard players. Just no convincing way to recreate it. Anyway us plastic keyboard players are probably just glorified switch throwers :D

"Bill - Keyboard Player".......The Moog Modular V is certainly different as a VST instrument and is well worth checking out. It was officially sanctioned by Bob Moog who worked with Arturia in it's creation. It can look a bit daunting at first, but the concepts are pretty simple to master after a while, and half the time you create a good sound completely by accident.

Nick B
Mac

Post by Mac »

Yeah, nickb, that's the kind of sound I was thinking about for this one, although, of course, taking the time to sculpt the Moog away from the dated Carlos sounds would be the ticket. Ya dumped a midi file of the tune and then used the presets in the synth, right (wink).

But still, like I thought, this would make an underscore almost as-is.

The Classical/Romantic song compendium is full of great stuff for that kind of work that is little exploited IMO, we just keep hearing the same few songs from that era over and over it seems.

Go get 'em.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

I finally got around to listening to the tunes. My favorite is the Fanfare euro2007 one. I can imagine hearing it on the BBC.
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

MrHope: Does sound like a BBC spot. That is, quite so. Sounds like he may had some influience on his little brother's music move.

Mac: Many fortunes for your "little brother". He has had a rough way to go if he's like most misicians. He has done what few have done. Did he take the covers off the Moog?

Nick B: This is Tennessee, USA. Everyone seems to play a guitar. May have something to do with Nashville. We had to get a Detroit Motown keys player to get a decent sound (he has that certain rythm we need and like).
Mac

Post by Mac »

meveridge wrote:Mac: Many fortunes for your "little brother". He has had a rough way to go if he's like most misicians. He has done what few have done. Did he take the covers off the Moog?
Not likely. Marshall didn't take to nuts 'n bolts 'n electronic components, good thing, or he likely would be an engineer in some hole or cubicle, too, typing on forums instead of touring the world half the year with some the best known jazz big bands. :shock:

--Mac
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

Mac wrote: You think that's crazy, I actually restore and recreate original tube driven theremins, too. Sorry, "thermionic valve" for you across the water. Better name for it than the colonies' "tube" if you ask me. Dentifrice comes in tubes...

--Mac
You mean you can still find tubes to repair those!!! Does it have a complicated circuit? Two simple oscillators and what else?

Cheer,

Mike
Mac

Post by Mac »

The original theremin circuit was actually an RF control circuit and oscillator, what we hear is the beat frequency between two RF oscillators.

Don't know how "simple" something like that is, guess that depends upon what you know about electronics. By today's standards, these analog oscillators would be "simple" in the sense that they are typically one stage amplifiers with positive feedback of some kind.

Tubes are still available, though some certain types are unobtanium today, most being the tubes used for television circuits, though.

Fortunately for the Theremin enthusiast, there are still a wide number of vacuum valves that can be pressed into service if you are designing from scratch. Restoring one of the original Theremins, you may have to do a bit of searching to find new old stock for certain tubes but they are still around.

One thing about the Theremin circuits is that the tubes are not stressed in these configurations hardly at all, unless the envelope loses vacuum or the tube is physically damaged, they typically will last several lifetimes in there. It is the other components, mostly capacitors and resistors, that usually need replacing first. These are still available, although maybe not in the original compositions. Usually doesn't matter.

Listened to your radio recordings on the other thread, meveridge, I'm an old Amateur Radio Operator who cut his young teeth listening to radio shows like that as a kid on my home made crystal sets. Grand Ole Opry, etc. Good stuff. Loved the biscuit commercial, seemed like every other show back then had some brand of biscuit mix as a sponsor (grin). BB King's first job as a DJ in Memphis, King Biscuit was the sponsor. "In the powder blue box". heh.

--Mac
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

Mac wrote:The original theremin circuit was actually an RF control circuit and oscillator, what we hear is the beat frequency between two RF oscillators.

BB King's first job as a DJ in Memphis, King Biscuit was the sponsor. "In the powder blue box". heh.

--Mac
"King Biscuit Flour Hour". Hey, I loved that show. It was still running heavy in the 70's.

Found a schematic of the theremin (transistor) circuit. Looks like a buildable project. My grandson would have hours of fun with that thing (two and a half), including myself.