Dedicated to Bev Smith - "Groove Smith"

Post links to songs you recorded using MultitrackStudio.
NystagmusE

Dedicated to Bev Smith - "Groove Smith"

Post by NystagmusE »

Groove Smith - [404 - sorry the tunes you are looking for are no longer available from this address]
simeon psimian

Post by simeon psimian »

very very nice atmospheric track - rare for an instrumental groove to stand up so well on it's own for me, i usually need some words somewhere to define a piece's character
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

Hey Mr hope,

This is different from the others I've listened to . . . less "electronic" with more form . . . and a very decent sound. . . not to say this is more or less than the other sounds . . . just different . . . and good.

Hey look . . . another positive feedback!!! :D

"Bev Smith is a media voice to be reconed with. On the air for two decades, she's appeared on NBC's "The Today Show," ABC's "Good Morning America," CNN's "Crier and Company," and "Larry King Live." Well recognized throughout the nation, Bev Smith has received more than 200 awards for her contributions to outstanding broadcasting achievement."

WOW . . .

Mike /..
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Thanks very much! :)

I appreciate the feedback and comments and listening.

Yeah this tune is a bit different. I may do more tunes of that sort. If I can figure out how to record in 12/16 or something like that, I'll do some swing tunes.

Bev Smith is a pretty amazing lady. I didn't know about all those awards. Wow!

Thanks
Mac

Post by Mac »

Give the piece some dynamics.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

I hear ya Mac, that is one department most of my music is lacking in. :)
Often I turn off the velocity sensitivity of my synth/controller and forget to turn it back on for the next tune.

One of these days I'll make a piece with some dynamics.
Mac

Post by Mac »

When first starting out, it appears like music has infinite possiblities.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

We have a very limited pallette in the sonic spectrum, actually, don't be misled by the "twenty to twenty" audio spec ( 20Hz to 20KHz) -- for the reality is that we mortals can only really hear sounds within an even smaller part of that spectrum. We deal with notes ranging from about 40Hz or so on up to about 12.5KHz. Or so. --And most of the time, we reduce that range even more in order to say what we have to say. Most good melodies fall within a two octave range or less, good reason for that, it is because the human voice, even the trained ones, can't typically sing outside that range very easily. Give or take a few exceptions.

So we have a limited note range.

We have rhythm.

Rhythm comes in two parts, one being the beat or underlying pulse, the other being the note durations or timing.

All we have left then is the magical world of the dynamics.

And they are powerful stuff.

The exact same passage can be played again, if at first you play it soft, then when you repeat it, you play it louder. Or the inverse. A loud piece that suddenly gets softer creates ear candy, too.

Nevermind the effects, we have three basic tools to accomplish our goal:

Frequency (Pitch)

Rhythm

and

Dynamics

Use them well.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

thanks mac. good points.