New user could use some help

Post links to songs you recorded using MultitrackStudio.
dsultzbach

New user could use some help

Post by dsultzbach »

I'm trying to record music on the computer for the first time and am having some trouble getting set up. Everything seems to be ok, but I can't hear any sound when I try to record.

Could I get some suggestions on what to look for so I can correct whatever mistake I have made?

I have a Yamaha keyboard with one midi in/out connection. I purchased an M-Audio Midisport Uno 1x1 and connected it from my keyboard to a USB port on my computer.

What do I need to do now to hear the sound?

Thanks for your help.
Diane
John MacIntosh

Welcome To M.T.S.

Post by John MacIntosh »

It is of the utmost importance to read S L O W L Y , when it comes to all things MIDI. Step by step and be prepared to research a little, within MTS and Yamaha. Both have set precedence when it comes to simplifying! It sounds like you have researched quite a bit already! Pay close attention perhaps to MIDI/ Monitor and Input Select. Read, Understand and Be Patient! You'll Get it! Happy Recording! PS . . In some instances, you will not hear live playback unless the channel is set to RECORD and the recording ( TRANSPORT BAR ) is actually running! JOhnny
dsultzbach

Post by dsultzbach »

I've checked everything I can see. I have no idea what is causing this problem. Can you give me an idea of how the sound is heard when you use this program? I mean, since I have hooked my keyboard into the computer using a USB port, should I be all set to hear the music as I record and playback or do I need to do something else directly into the sound card? This is for a midi recording not an audio...does that make a difference?
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

If you're looking for help post in the discussion forum, this is only for showing off your finished work
dsultzbach

Post by dsultzbach »

Ok, thanks. I'm new to this forum and didn't realize I was in the wrong folder.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

You are recording midi, which is just data. To hear what you record you need either to connect audio to the line in, or have a synthesizer convert the data to sound. If you repost this in the discussion forum you'll get the right answers from the people in the know.