Thanks for downloading/listening-Which format do you prefer?

Post links to songs you recorded using MultitrackStudio.
astroidmist

Thanks for downloading/listening-Which format do you prefer?

Post by astroidmist »

I just wanted to thank anyone and everyone who has downloaded and listened to my tunes. It means a lot to me.

Just so you guys know, I may be making future downloads 16-bit FLAC's instead of 24-bit FLAC's. I have discovered recently that the 24-bit format won't play on some portable media players but the 16-bit kind will play.
Please let me know if you prefer downloading 16-bit WAV files or OGG's instead. While I liked providing better than CD quality downloads, perhaps it is not worth it if not many people can play such downloads. Let me know what you think.
Just bear in mind that I'm discouraged from using MP3's as the format due to bad past experiences with it and after reading articles about how MP3 degrades the sound. If you do still think I should switch to MP3, please let me know what codec settings you would suggest to avoid quality issues. I might be open to 320 kbps constant bitrate MP3's if they truly sound good and are popular and can be played anywhere. Just let me know either way.

Peace.

--Apophenia Confabulation
Saz

Re: Thanks for downloading/listening-Which format do you pre

Post by Saz »

Hi Apophenia,

When browsing music, I want something that opens fast in WMP - usually mp3's. If I have to wait or jump through hoops to listen, I usually move on. For critical listening, once I'm hooked on someone's music, I want the highest quality possible.

Making it easy for a listener to get hooked on your music would seem like a logical path to me. Offering higher quality as well, would be icing on the cake.

BTW - as far as mp3's, I've had good results with the Lame Encoder (v3.93), even at 128k/CBR.
astroidmist

Re: Thanks for downloading/listening-Which format do you pre

Post by astroidmist »

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Saz. I asked the same set of questions at another site also. Based upon responses, I'm beginning to think that I should just offer 16-bit Redbook audio WAV's no more, no less. If I remember correctly they are nearly the same size as their equivalent 24-bit FLAC's and everyone can play WAV's with no issue. Also of course they can be converted to any of the other formats. It would be a relief to me to not have to worry about metadata also, even though the tags are nice to have.

I'm really not fond of MP3's even at 128 k, but I too have had SOME tunes sound OK at 128 k. I just prefer not having to worry about quality though. Anyways thanks for your response. It has a bearing on what I'll decide.