USB interface

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
axman

USB interface

Post by axman »

Several weeks ago I bought the pro version Multitrack and used it a couple times and was impressed. About the same time, I bought an Aardvark USB interface with several lines in/out and headphones to hook to my laptop (since the laptop with Windows XP ) has a standard sound card with just an 1/8 inch in and out. Along with the interface was a free copy of Cubase LE (i assume means Light edition....afterall it is free).

It took me a while to learn the Cubase, but as of recent I am multitracking about 6 tracks (jazz standards), since I play the piano, drums, sax, and flute. Of course the USB interface connected right up to cubase in the devices. One of things I dislike about Cubase is that everything is in layers of recording and "projects"...where the project name is in a folder under a .cpr extension, then the actual wav files for the tracks are somewhere else. AND, what I can see, there is no facility to mix down to 1 final wav file, without using my soundforge recorder?

I tried briefly to fire-up MTS as an alternative, but it didn't recognize the USB interface and I gave up too quickly at the time.

Now I'm back reading and trying to interface with MTS. Does anyone have a USB interface setup using MTS. From what I can read, possibly if I select "devices" Winsound.....and have the USB interface connected, it should recognize it and be useable....or is there another method?

Thanks for any help for the amateur
axman

USB interface

Post by axman »

well, as I suspected , and as the instructions seem to imply, even though not specific about interfaces, when I clicked on "devices" , selected "winsound" and then "settings" , sure enough, the USB input and output deviced showed up for selection.
So I answered my own question through experiementation and now a happy camper.
now i can record using MST and an external usb interface with m laptop providing me mic and guitar inputs, headphones, 1/4 inch in/out , etc...
this Direct Mix USB3 (made with a rugged steel case) had great reviews and has been around for 2 years.
Saz

Post by Saz »

Glad you got it sorted out axman! You answered your question before I could reply. :)

In my case, I'm using an Oxygen8 keyboard connected to my PC via USB. Also, I'm using the AsioSnd driverset.

Yep - MultitrackStudio Rocks! 8)
axman

Post by axman »

I noticed in cubase when several tracks are added, there is a few milli-seconds delay in getting all instruments synchonized. i was wondering if this happens in MTS as well AND is just something with the monitoring.

Also I notice you said that you use Ansio sound settings....
seems like when I first fired-up MTS, it was only the Ansio settings that would allow monitoring of the tracks?
Saz

Post by Saz »

I noticed in cubase when several tracks are added, there is a few milli-seconds delay in getting all instruments synchonized. i was wondering if this happens in MTS as well AND is just something with the monitoring.
I've never had that problem with MTS, but I'm not using midi that much. I'm really not a keyboard player - just use the Oxygen 8 for percussion and synth pads.
Also I notice you said that you use Ansio sound settings....
seems like when I first fired-up MTS, it was only the Ansio settings that would allow monitoring of the tracks?
I believe the only way you can get "Tape Type" or "Live" monitoring through MTS is to use the Asio drivers.