Virtual MIDI HowTo

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
markomatic

Virtual MIDI HowTo

Post by markomatic »

I bought MTS after reading gushing reviews about how great the MIDI editor is on the iPad version (the one area where iOS is still in the prehistoric era IMHO). There seems to be a LOT of depth & promise here, but I really just wanted a great MIDI editor and Virtual MIDI master.

I have almost every single MIDI editor/control app available for iOS like Genome, and also most of the DAWs like Cubasis. So, I've been able to get Virtual MIDI going under a huge variety configurations. However, I can NOT get MTS to send MIDI to another synth app on my iPad (Air running iOS 7). This is frustrating because this is what I bought MTS for!!!

Could you please add a detailed HowTo to your manual discussing say the following steps:

- How to create a new MIDI track (you cover this in a video)
- How to record and edit some MIDI for that track (also in the vid, but nice to have in one place)
- How to send that MIDI out to say, Nave, NLog, Sunrizer, Animoog, iSEM, etc.
- How to import/export that MIDI to/from other sources (I know, in the future! Might be nice to use AudioShare's MIDI share capability)

MTS does offer some unusual features, and is a great addition to the iOS toolset.

Thanks,
Mark
Support

Re: Virtual MIDI HowTo

Post by Support »

markomatic wrote:How to send that MIDI out to say, Nave, NLog, Sunrizer, Animoog, iSEM, etc.
1. Tap the Studio button, then tap Devices. Now pick the app you want to use in the 'MIDI Output Device' box.
2. Press the MIDI track's Instrument Slot (it reads 'MTSi' by default) for a second and choose the "External: " option.

Giel Bremmers
markomatic

Post by markomatic »

There it is! Awesome, thanks. Off to play with MTS now.
sm7x7

Post by sm7x7 »

My question re. above mentioned:
Why not all MIDI capable apps are shown in the list? As of now, having a good bunch of those apps on my iPad Mini, I have just a BS-16i on the list of external Virtual MIDI apps. No other apps appear there. I tried either open those apps first and then MTS, and vise versa. Nothing shown but a BS-16i. Are there any specifics to it?
Support

Post by Support »

If you tap Studio and then Devices you can pick the Midi Out device. All running apps which accept MIDI should appear in that list.

A MIDI track lets you use an 'external' MIDI device. That's the Midi Out device from the Devices pane.

Just one MIDI out device I hear you ask? That shouldn't be a problem in an Inter-App Audio world I think. An IAA enabled version of MultitrackStudio can appear in an app store near you any minute now! :mrgreen:

Giel Bremmers