Feature requests EDITED

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
maarten

Feature requests EDITED

Post by maarten »

Hello,

I bought Multitrack Studio for iPad recently and I'm very impressed with the workflow and high quality effects. I do have some features I'd like to see implemented in a future version of the app:

- When I want to add midi notes, I have to reactivate te "add note" button after every note I've entered, which is very
annoying. Is it possible to change the behavior of the mentioned button so that I can keep entering notes until I select
another function, for example the "select tool"?
- I have a bunch of drum loops in the Audioshare app that I want to build a drumtrack with. Inserting a drumloop in
Multitrack Studio works fine. However, if I open a second loop, it is pasted in a new audio track. I know I can copy/paste
the second loop in the first audio track, but I'd prefer to load consequetive loops in one and the same audio track.
- More audio/midi tracks, more effect sends and insert effects.
- Although there are inter app audio apps that handle soundfonts (sf2 and sfz) I'd love to see the on board sampler from
the desktop version in the iPad app. Particularly because there is a very nice free orchestral sfz library available called
'Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra' (http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/)
- I know there is an update on the way that fixes some of the inter app audio problems. Does the fix also correct the
problem that midi data copied from an inter audio midi app into an audio track, results in a silent wave form?

Finaly, I'd love to see a gradual development of the Multitrack Studio app to include features from the desktop version. I'd gladly pay for these (in app purchase). Any plans for making the iPad version more than just a kid brother of the desktop version? High Quality apps like Auria prove that music production on the ios platform is not childs play anymore. I really think that your app has amazing potential in this regard. It would be a pity if Multitrack Studio for iPad would stay restricted the way it is. Why not participate on the Audiobus forum? It is one of the most active and constructive ios music platforms. The folks over there really appreciate it when a developer chimes in. Lots of good suggestions are given there.

Well, that's it for now. Thank you very much for this great app. I'm looking forward to future updates.

Best regards,

Maarten (fellow dutchman)
Support

Re: Feature requests

Post by Support »

Thanks for your suggestions!
maarten wrote:When I want to add midi notes, I have to reactivate te "add note" button after every note I've entered, which is very annoying. Is it possible to change the behavior of the mentioned button so that I can keep entering notes until I select another function, for example the "select tool"?
Yes, that's annoying, but so is the alternative IMO: you add a note, you see it's not quite OK so you try to move it, and now you have another incorrect note because 'add note' is still active.

Note that you can switch to 'add note' mode by swiping to the right over the left hand part of most editors (ie. the pianoroll's vertical piano for example). You can switch to 'add note' mode using the left hand thumb, and add the note using the right hand.
maarten wrote:More audio/midi tracks, more effect sends and insert effects.
Out of curiosity: what would you use additional effect sends for?
maarten wrote:- I know there is an update on the way that fixes some of the inter app audio problems. Does the fix also correct the problem that midi data copied from an inter audio midi app into an audio track, results in a silent wave form?
Yes. The current version doesn't use the right MIDI channel, so if you app doesn't respond to this channel there's no signal
maarten wrote:Finaly, I'd love to see a gradual development of the Multitrack Studio app to include features from the desktop version. I'd gladly pay for these (in app purchase).
That's good to know :mrgreen:

Giel Bremmers
maarten

Re: Feature requests

Post by maarten »

Note that you can switch to 'add note' mode by swiping to the right over the left hand part of most editors (ie. the pianoroll's vertical piano for example). You can switch to 'add note' mode using the left hand thumb, and add the note using the right hand.
Hey, I didn't know that. That's a nifty trick that solves my 'problem' with entering notes.
Out of curiosity: what would you use additional effect sends for?
Ooops, my bad. I just discovered that the effect send has more than one effect slot :oops:

By the way, I love the amp sim. It sounds as good or even better than BIAS!

Best regards,

Maarten
maarten

Re: Feature requests EDITED

Post by maarten »

I forgot to mention in the previous post that I have some more feature requests:

- option to choose higher latency settings (I'm using an iPad 2 and have to handle the cpu with care :lol: )

- factory and user presets for effects

- effect automation

-better looping option: SET LOOP TO SELECTED PART

- ability to select (part of) a wave file in an audiotrack and save the snippet for later use. I jam a lot with my guitar and would like to build a library of riffs that I can use in songs later on. It would be cool if the same could be done with midi tracks too.

Maarten
Support

Post by Support »

maarten wrote:option to choose higher latency settings (I'm using an iPad 2 and have to handle the cpu with care :lol: )
In which situations do you run into issues? Do you think playing the Guitar Amp or software MIDI instruments 'live' is still doable with a higher latency?

Giel Bremmers
maarten

Post by maarten »

In which situations do you run into issues? Do you think playing the Guitar Amp or software MIDI instruments 'live' is still doable with a higher latency?
I mainly put the CPU under pressure, when I have multiple editors open. I noticed this really increased the CPU load a lot, which probably has to do with the rendering of the graphics (waveforms). Although CPU limitations aren't too big of an using when recording, it would be nice to switch to a higher latency setting on playback.
Support

Post by Support »

maarten wrote:I mainly put the CPU under pressure, when I have multiple editors open. I noticed this really increased the CPU load a lot, which probably has to do with the rendering of the graphics (waveforms). Although CPU limitations aren't too big of an using when recording, it would be nice to switch to a higher latency setting on playback.
Yeah, graphics performance isn't very good if multiple track editors are open. I hoped nobody would notice, but I guess it's difficult to keep it secret :mrgreen:

A higher latency wouldn't reduce CPU usage for playback. Only things that really need to be low latency are run at a low latency. Playback doesn't need low latency, so processing uses much larger buffers.

Giel Bremmers