Punch In/out

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
KenHardy

Punch In/out

Post by KenHardy »

Punch in/out in MTS for ipad is a necessary feature. One typically relocates some distance upstream of the punch-in point then starts the recording and plays along with the old audio up to, and through the punch-in and punch-out points to overwrite errors. Prior to starting the punch in recording itself, the input instrument's sound can be monitored from the iPad's headphone jack as long as the input monitor and track record buttons are both activated. However, as soon as I hit the start button, the recording instrument's input is no longer outputted into the earphones until the recording reaches the punch in point. Thus when I try to play along with what I've already recorded prior to the punch-in point, I have no sound returning from my instrument at all to cue with. This makes no sense..I must be doing something wrong. Can you please advise me on this?

Dr. K
André Giroux

Re: Punch In/out

Post by André Giroux »

Hello Ken,
That is the way punch in is meant be. I don't have the IPad version but in windows at the top of MultitrackStudio there's Rec menu button and I also see it in the IPad picture provide in MTS webpage. In window under Rec menu we have the option of full punch in/out monitoring and that's what I assume you're looking for.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Hiya Andy,

Thank you so much my friend!! You are exactly correct. Unfortunately the on board MTS iPad user manual is so abbreviated it doesn't even mention the Rec button's window options....another of this otherwise superb program's development shortcomings. I was having to split the output signal from my keyboard into my ipad and send a feed into a separate mixer which also had an output from the ipad in order to headphone monitor my input keyboard's sound during punch in's.....I knew I was doing something wrong. Thank God for this forum. Trial, error, and user/developer feedback seems the only viable alternatives to a really well thought out, comprehensive user manual.

Thanks again,
Dr. K
Support

Post by Support »

KenHardy wrote:Trial, error, and user/developer feedback seems the only viable alternatives to a really well thought out, comprehensive user manual.
The manual may be a bit too short.

That said.... welcome to 2014 ;-)
Virtually nobody reads the manual - especially in iPad land - so it's important to (try to) make the user interface explain itself. The Rec options menu is discoverable, and an explanation appears in the bottom left corner if you put a finger on an item.

Giel Bremmers