The MTS for ipad Track Zoom Feature Is A Disaster!!

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
KenHardy

The MTS for ipad Track Zoom Feature Is A Disaster!!

Post by KenHardy »

Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to track edit audio using MTS for iPad, and again finding myself exporting my tracts to GarageBand for editing. Only now I understand the central problem.....MTS's poorly functional track pinch-zoom feature!!. It either doesn't zoom at all, or it wildly under/over zooms leaving you who knows where afterwards. Come on Giel, this is truly pathetic, and we still have no zoom button to help us out at all. PLEASE JUST DO ME THIS FAVOR: Simply move an identical audio track from MTS into Garage Band and try zooming in on it. In GB the pinch zoom/expand feature works perfectly. It is completely smooth and reliable, and the zoom point remains visible at any level of zoom. You don't have to go searching again under high zoom for your old audio edit point. This is a complete deal breaker for me and a SERIOUS UNWORKABLE FLAW IN MTS for ipad. Related, no matter how compressed and visibly neat all your tracts are when you exit/close MTS, when you reopen the App, every track opens into a fully zoomed view. Thus the screen is filled by the fully zoomed audio of every track. To start working with individual tracks again, one must go through each track, one by one, and zoom them all the way down again. Just to reopen a twelve track song to where it was when you exited MTS is a lengthy, frustrating experience. This program seriously needs updates within its most basic of features, including a comprehensive user manual. Related, and perhaps of interest, I submitted a very thorough (and supportive) review of this App to the iTunes App Store (4/5 star rating) objectively highlighting its strengths and weaknesses....and it was NEVER posted (and I tied 3 different times). Seems honesty may not always be the best policy after all in the world of Apples.

Dr. K.
Support

Re: The MTS for ipad Track Zoom Feature Is A Disaster!!

Post by Support »

It's being worked on. Development takes time.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Giel, I really don't mean to be rude, but what we have here is a beta software app, still completely sub-optimal in its most basic features, yet being sold as a fully-approved commercial Apple product. This level of basic feature operation should have been completed and beta tested by professional musicians long before the product became available to the general public. Further, Apple's App Store continues to hand pick naive, positive reviews for its advertisements, omitting anything objective if they feel it might effect their button line. As a clinician/analyst, I sense a strong disconnect here between software development and musician utilization/feedback. This isn't major product development needed here, it is bare bones functionality. :(
Support

Post by Support »

I'm sorry to hear that. As I said, the zooming behaviour etc. is being worked on.

As an engineer I think you're overreacting a little bit to be honest. Recording and mixing work just fine, and editing the odd mistake isn't too hard either.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Truthfully, recording and mixing do indeed work fine in MTS (especially from the perspective of a recording engineer), and the idea of developing MTS for an ipad is nothing short of brilliant!!! Now all the program needs are the absolute basics......functional Zooming, Splitting, Merging, Rewinding, Timing Location, and a comprehensive manual (from the perspective of a seasoned user who is also a music writer/performer/producer, scientist, physician, pilot, classic automobile restorer, engine mechanic, computer builder.....and software reviewer!). Musical mistakes are not odd...they are ubiquitous, especially in your biggest market, home multitrack recording studios. In that setting in particular, editing is every bit as important as recording/mixing. The MTS program could easily become the best in the world for the iPad...and could even change digital recording history entirely!! Mobile studio's everywhere would want it, not just for straightforward front end recording and mixing, but also for complex post-production editing and mixdown, all from the comfort of a bedroom. You've got a real winner here...... please, please prioritize its development! :wink:

Ken Hardy, M.D., Ph.D.
Mgmg4871

Post by Mgmg4871 »

Wow. A lot of hats, and even bigger ego. Chill out.
Support

Post by Support »

KenHardy wrote:from the perspective of a seasoned user who is also a music writer/performer/producer, scientist, physician, pilot, classic automobile restorer, engine mechanic, computer builder.....and software reviewer
Busy man! You can't afford to waste any time on editing indeed :-)
KenHardy wrote:please, please prioritize its development!
No worries.

Giel Bremmers
Harold_Hill-MusicMan

Post by Harold_Hill-MusicMan »

KenHardy wrote:from the perspective of a seasoned user who is also a music writer/performer/producer, scientist, physician, pilot, classic automobile restorer, engine mechanic, computer builder.....and software reviewer!

Ken Hardy, M.D., Ph.D.
:shock: OMG!!! It's Buckaroo F****** Banzai, right here in this very forum! Can I have your autograph?
Support

Post by Support »

For the record: the zoom feature disaster has been fixed some time ago:

http://www.multitrackstudio.com/forum/v ... f=4&t=2025

:mrgreen:

Giel Bremmers