Future development (MTS users please chime in!)

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Support

Re: Future development (MTS users please chime in!)

Post by Support »

maarten wrote:Also, would you care to give us an indication of what you're aiming at with the iPad version of MTS?
It's not supposed to be the desktop version's little brother, no worries ;-)
The iPad version will get the features it needs, regardless of the desktop version. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

The iPad version's user interface is very important. It's not supposed to be a desktop program running on iPad.
maarten wrote:I'm volunteering to do some in depth tutorial videos for the ipad version of the app.
That would be cool, thanks :-)
I don't have any brilliant ideas right now, I'll send an email if something pops up.

Giel Bremmers
maarten

Post by maarten »

I would like to share some more suggestions I have for future updates of MTS

- an arpeggiator that can be applied to all of the available keyboards (piano, bass, guitar, etc.)
- a preview option for the 'expand to chord' option in the midi editor. It would be a great help to hear
the chord you select before actually putting it in the midi editor.
- an x-y pad in the automation editor that lets you record automation in realtime when recording.
- the option to play scales on each of the available keyboards (like Thumbjam for instance)
- a proper track freeze function for audio tracks. Now when you bake in the effects in an audiotrack,
there is no fast way to revert to the original setup and tweak the effects some more. You have to set
up each effect again like on the original track. In addition to this, I would like to request a preset
system for the effects again.
- a 'strum' option in the midi editor. When entering a chord, the strum option would enable you to turn
the chord into an arpeggio. This feature is very nicely implemented in FL studio as the following video
shows:http://youtu.be/BS6pX5gh9F0. I don't know if this is possible as I'm not an app
developer, but maybe the relative position of the notes in the strummed chord could be controlled with
a pinch gesture or by placing one finger of each hand on the screen and pulling them outwards in
opposite directions.

In general, FL Studio has a host of very musical midi editing options like inverting notes, etc. Features like this would really be a nice addition to MTS.
Support

Post by Support »

maarten wrote:- the option to play scales on each of the available keyboards (like Thumbjam for instance)
What exactly would you like to do? Use 24 notes per octave scales and things like that?

Giel Bremmers
maarten

Post by maarten »

What exactly would you like to do? Use 24 notes per octave scales and things like that?

The following video of the app Looptical shows what I'm talking about better than I could word it myself. i hope this helps to clarify my request.

http://youtu.be/heHkPMFsA_A
Support

Post by Support »

Ah, got it. Thanks.

Giel Bremmers
StormJH1

Post by StormJH1 »

I'm a new user, so I'm cautious to recommend too much before I know all that the app can do. But there are a few things I noticed that seem to be design choices.

(1) Adding MIDI notes - the MIDI editor is GREAT; probably the main reason why I spent $30 on another DAW. But it has one annoyance in the way you add notes, which is that it seems to make me do it one at a time. Say I want to open a blank piano roll/MIDI track and just write something. Do I have to click the little "+" icon each time I want to add a note? I think if the "+" icon is engaged, you should be able to keep adding notes until it is unengaged. Or, more ideally, combine the different modes so that notes are added with a single click and deleted with a double click (or vice versa). And then "drag and slide" could be used to extend the length of the notes. There's a lot of different approaches to piano roll editing in apps like Caustic, Gadget, etc., and some of those other apps just have a feature or two I would love to see in MTS.

(2) AudioPaste implementation. It's great that MTS allows you to past in .wav and other media files into DAW tracks - that is a critical feature. But is the option to paste each new file/loop as a new track? That's contradictory to how many people do their work flow. For example, let's say I have an audio track called "Drums". I may have some loops saved in AudioShare from another app. I will want three measures of the main loop, and then I'll copy a different one as the 4th measure or "fill". In that same track, I may have a different loop for intro, verse, chorus, ending, etc. But each time I post, MTS is dropping it in a new track, rather than "Drums". Unless I'm missing the feature, I'd like to see an AudioPaste button within the "Edit" screen, instead of as an "import" option at the top of the menu. This would be consistent with MTS design choice to make you focus on "one track at a time".

Those are more tweaks than "new features". But, overall, this is a very impressive app, and I love how efficiently it runs!
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

As an aging vocalist/instrumentalist I tend to make lots of slightly off-pitch note errors. Therefore I absolutely adore the new pitch correction/transpose feature of update V1.4.1. What would be enormously helpful to me would be the ability to immediately "hear (i.e. audition)" any pitch-corrected note by just touching the highlighted area after the pitch correction is made. Currently to hear your corrections you have to scroll the timing bar back to some point ahead of the edit, then hit Play and listen for the corrected note(s) in the context of the adjacent uncorrected notes. While the latter is of course inevitably vital, the ability to hear a single note repeatedly sounded after consequetive pitch corrections (until it is perfect), would obviate the need for repetitive backward scrolling and interval playback to hear what the pitch correction will sounds like after it is made. I also don't understand what "preserve format" and "monophonic vs polyphonic" mean when using the new pitch correction/transpose option. Aside from this suggestion and request for clarification, I am very satisfied with MTS for iPad in its current version. Dr. K.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

The one thing that keeps me from using MTS for my composing needs is the Looping. Having to reset the loop after every stop is a PITA. All other apps allow you to set the loop and it stays unless you move it or click to not loop. This keeps MTS just sitting on my HD. I use Nano Studio the loop stays.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Oh yeah, I just remembered my final "wish" for MTS for iPad.....a note extender. Currently individual audio waveforms can be easily shortened, faded in- or out-, copied and pasted, pitch corrected, volume adjusted, or deleted entirely, but they cannot be made to sustain (without copy/pasting leaving nasty clipping break points). It would be wonderful if a prematurely terminated note/waveform could be extended in length (i.e. sustained) indefinitely. This addition would bring MTS TOTAL CONTROL over individual audio wave form editing....and a much needed feature to both vocalists and instrumentalists. Commmooon Giel...please give us this one!! DR. K.
Support

Post by Support »

uncle808us wrote:The one thing that keeps me from using MTS for my composing needs is the Looping. Having to reset the loop after every stop is a PITA.
Note that you can longtap the transport counter and choose 'Cycle last cycled part'. It's only available if cycling has been used.

Giel Bremmers
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Support wrote:
uncle808us wrote:The one thing that keeps me from using MTS for my composing needs is the Looping. Having to reset the loop after every stop is a PITA.
Note that you can longtap the transport counter and choose 'Cycle last cycled part'. It's only available if cycling has been used.

Giel Bremmers
How do you long tap on a Mac Book?
Support

Post by Support »

uncle808us wrote:How do you long tap on a Mac Book?
This is the iPad forum ;-)

You can press F8 in the desktop versions.

Giel Bremmers
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Support wrote:
uncle808us wrote:How do you long tap on a Mac Book?
This is the iPad forum ;-)

You can press F8 in the desktop versions.

Giel Bremmers
On My Mac Book F8 opens the reminder sidebar. But Shift F8 works. Thanks
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

More effects slots per instrument channel, please. When using midi with soundfonts there often isn't enough slots for me to add an EQ!

Speaking of EQ, the notch cut filter really needs to be able to drop greater than -12db. Often when shaping guitar distortion, more than this will be cut out at 3.2 kHz. Also the LPF and HPF should have the option for making a steep cutoff.

Thanks!
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

In the piano roll it can be difficult to lengthen a note. Highlighting an eighth note and then trying to touch it with the end of your finger which is three times the size of the note. It'll take a half dozen tries every time before I get it. I much prefer the way this is handled in Genome where you highlight a note and then get a button menu to click on instead.

Also, is there a way to use AudioCopy/AudioPaste within the app without it creating a new track? This would be useful for adding a loop onto the end of an existing loop in a track.