Korg Sound Module For iPad

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
KenHardy

Korg Sound Module For iPad

Post by KenHardy »

Several months ago Korg introduced several MIDI controlled sound modules for iPad which sound absolutely amazing ($29 App Store). Using an old YAMAHA MIDI DIN-to-USB adapter plugged into a USB-to-Lightning CCK adapter, I am easily able to transmit MIDI from my Korg M1 Synthesizer and trigger/record general MIDI sounds within MTS for iPad. I am inclined to purchase the basic "Korg Sound Module for iPad" mainly for live performance. However the sounds are quite remarkable and I would like to know what is the best way to use/trigger/record it's sounds within the most current version of MTS.
Thanks,
Dr.K.
KenHardy

Re: Korg Sound Module For iPad

Post by KenHardy »

More specifically, the Korg Sound module's specs state that both IAA and AudioBus 2 are supported. If I insert a MIDI track into a MTS song in progress, and then open IAA in an effects box, MODULE is shown as a viable choice, but the Korg Module hangs and doesn't open when clicked. If I pre-open the Korg Module before opening MTS, then open MTS AND IAA, MODULE again appears as a choice and does open when clicked, showing play/pause/record buttons in the MODULE window which will start other prerecorded tracks in MTS. But pressing the graphic keys of the keyboard in Module does not produce any sound, and recording the track while pressing keys in Module does not produce any recorded MIDI info. What am I doing wrong? Also text info appears at the bottom of the GUI when pressing various buttons in MTS, but the sentence is attenuated, so the message is incomplete. Is there any way to read the entire message?
Dr. K.
Support

Post by Support »

KenHardy wrote:But pressing the graphic keys of the keyboard in Module does not produce any sound, and recording the track while pressing keys in Module does not produce any recorded MIDI info. What am I doing wrong?
The app's keyboard should generate sound if either the MTS transport is stopped or the MIDI track is recording.
An instrument app's onscreen keyboard can be recorded if you make the app send its MIDI output to the 'MTS IAA Recording' destination.
KenHardy wrote: Also text info appears at the bottom of the GUI when pressing various buttons in MTS, but the sentence is attenuated, so the message is incomplete. Is there any way to read the entire message?
Dr. K.
You can maximize available space by not showing the disk space and cpu usage indicators (see the Preferences pane). Most texts should fit I think.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Thanks for the prompt reply, Giel.

The Korg module responds to incoming MIDI from an external instrument perfectly, but to the best of my knowledge is not capable of outputting MIDI at all. Thus there are no options within the Korg Sound Module App to "send MIDI output to the MTS IAA recording destination". When actively linked via IAA TO MTS, the MODULE's graphic keyboard visually responds to touching the iPad screen (i.e. keys depress), but neither sound nor MIDI data is outputted from the iPad or into MTS, even when the MTS transport is stopped and/or the Midi track is recording. If I look under MTS's Devices tab, Both Midi Input Device and Output Device lists only Network Session 1 and None as choices (MODULE is not listed), and yet under "Midi Clock to Apps"' both "MODULE" and "MTS MIDI CLOCK" appear as options. Any suggestions on how I might access MODULE for recording to MTS. Alternatively, how can I direct pre-recorded MIDI data from MTS's Midi tracks into The Korg Sound module App for playback? This Module seems fairly dynamic, I must be doing something wrong.
Dr. K.
Support

Post by Support »

KenHardy wrote:The Korg module responds to incoming MIDI from an external instrument perfectly, but to the best of my knowledge is not capable of outputting MIDI at all. Thus there are no options within the Korg Sound Module App to "send MIDI output to the MTS IAA recording destination".
If it doesn't output MIDI you can't record the app's MIDI keyboard, so you'll have to use the MTS keyboard or an external keyboard in order to be able to record it to a MIDI track.
KenHardy wrote:When actively linked via IAA TO MTS, the MODULE's graphic keyboard visually responds to touching the iPad screen (i.e. keys depress), but neither sound nor MIDI data is outputted from the iPad or into MTS, even when the MTS transport is stopped and/or the Midi track is recording.
You're using Module in a MIDI track's instrument slot, right? That's the first slot, which has yellow text.
Have you tried killing Module and MTS (using the multitasking bar), and starting again?
KenHardy wrote: Alternatively, how can I direct pre-recorded MIDI data from MTS's Midi tracks into The Korg Sound module App for playback?
That should just work.

You can try using Virtual MIDI instead of IAA. First kill Module (using the multitasking bar), then longtap the MIDI track's instrument slot and pick Module from the Virtual MIDI Apps section.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

It seems the Korg MODULE FOR IPAD simply does not want to play nicely (at least via IAA) with MTS. Initially I was unable to identify MODULE as an option at all under the Virtual Midi Apps section of MTS. But after playing around, I found I could open MODULE from the IAA Instrument track first slot By REloading it (it never opens on the first click) once the RELOAD option appeared. Clicking on the Module IAA slot then changes the GUI back to the MODULE app with a track start/stop/record option and a button on it to change back to MTS. Clicking that latter button returns you to the MTS screen, and long clicking on the MODULE IAA slot reopens the various MIDI instrument options, this time with MODULE appearing under the Virtual MIDI App section. It can be selected and opened, apparently inserting MODULE as the destination for Midi output from MTS. However, depressing MTS's midi keyboard still produces no sound. Oddly, if that midi track's record button is depressed and keys are pressed, the midi track recording bar shows strong output but the ipad produce no sound. If the keystrokes are actually fully recorded and played back, again the midi notes seem to trigger digitally recorded sound on the recording bar, but no actual sound is produced by the track (while ALL other recorded tracks are being outputted normally. It seems that linking the Korg Module App to MTS (either via IAA or as a virtual midi app), inactivates the sound generating capabilities of the MORULE FOR IPAD completely, and nothing I do will restore it except unloading it from MTS, at which point it again operates and outputs sounds perfectly in response to either an external Midi keystroke, or a keystroke on the Module App's virtual keyboard. Korg customer telephone service is non-existent and their website support base says nothing useful about the IAA AND/or AudioBus features of their MODULE. Anybody have any idea what might be going on?? The sounds on the Korg Module blow general Midi out of the water....now if only I could record them.
Dr. K.
CyrillPhilippoff

Post by CyrillPhilippoff »

Hello,
maybe it will help.

Open Audiobus. Load Korg Module in "input" and Mts in "OutPut".
In MtS add midi track1 -> Virtual Midi-> Module.
Add track 2 (Audio, Stereo) -> rec AB.
When Track 1 (midi) in Practice mode you can play on MtS midi keyboard with sound from Module, when Track 1 in record mode you can record midi.
You can record Audio from Korg Module in track 2 (Audio) when midi track 1 in playback mode (green).
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

I will give this a try if I am unable to get Korg MODULE working via IAA or virtual MIDI in MTS (I don't have experience with audiobus or even have it loaded in my iPad). I'm still hoping either Giel or Korg will give me some advise that will enable me to use the Korg Module with MTS via IAA or virtual Midi, as I have experience with both of these, but not with AudioBus. I probably need to get more comfortable with all three of them, and will try that next as necessary.

Thanks for the heads up.
Dr. K.
CyrillPhilippoff

Post by CyrillPhilippoff »

KenHardy wrote:I will give this a try if I am unable to get Korg MODULE working via IAA or virtual MIDI in MTS (I don't have experience with audiobus or even have it loaded in my iPad). I'm still hoping either Giel or Korg will give me some advise that will enable me to use the Korg Module with MTS via IAA or virtual Midi, as I have experience with both of these, but not with AudioBus. I probably need to get more comfortable with all three of them, and will try that next as necessary.

Thanks for the heads up.
Dr. K.
Yes, I agree. After release inter app audio AudioBus looks very uncomfortable. The problem in Korg app, they all are Generator App (not Instrument App).
" ...generator' type apps, ie. apps that don't expose MIDI or audio inputs when used as IAA...."
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

I've downloaded AudioBus and am learning to use it. Not at all intuitive.....my earlier aversion may have been well justified. But it is clear that it will probably solve the problem associated with "generator" apps like Korg Module, exactly as you've suggested. So many technologic learning curves for musicians these days......but the payoff is phenomenal! Thanks again for the insights.
Dr. K.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Just wanted to follow-up with thanks to Cyrillphilippoff. Nothing I tried would allow MTS to work with the excellent Korg Sound Module generator App via IAA. So after fooling around with AudioBus for a while I began to understand it a bit more. I set the Audiobus input/output Apps and the MTS Midi and Audio track assignments exactly as Cyrillphilippoff suggested, and whallah....I could play, hear, and record Audio from my Korg Sound Module, as well as Midi data from my M1 keyboard directly into MTS for iPad. Importantly, this was accomplished by connecting my M1 to my iPad air via a MIDI DIN-to-USB cable plugged through an Apple USB to lightning CCK to my iPad. Per my most recent forum post, it was also easily possible to trigger, hear, and record the Korg Modules's Audio (but not any MIDI data) completely wirelessly from my M1 keyboard using the Quicco Mi.1 wireless Midi Bluetooth devise. If Giel adds Bluetooth to MTS, the entire process of Midi DIN transmission during playing, recording and playback can be handled wirelessly. Awesome!!
Dr. K.