Question about lap top recording

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Tjrich12

Question about lap top recording

Post by Tjrich12 »

Hey board! Long-time MTS user but my PC just died and I want to try to use my older ThinkPad T-410 before buying a new PC or Laptop.

My old singer/songwriter hobbiest set up:

SM 57 and 58 Dynamic mics > M-Audio DMP3 pre amp > M-audio Audiophile 2496 sound card > MTS

The DMP3 has two 1/4" TRS Balanced line "outs" and I used a 1/4" to RCA adapter to the sound card.

I'm thinking about trying one of the following but I've never used a laptop to record before:

Mics > DMP3 > Behringer 1/4" to USB out adapter cable > laptop

Here's the cable:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... ductDetail

Second possibility:

Mics > DMP3 > Behringer U-Phono UFO 202 Interface > Lap top.
This has RCA "ins" so I think I can use the same 1/4" to RCA cable from the DMP3. The Interface would be set to line "input" not phono.

Here's the U-Phono:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ice-engine

One other question...does a laptop need a sound card upgrade like I had with my PC? Maybe an external one???

If none of this works I'll probably go to a new laptop or PC and interface but cheaper fixes like the above will be better if they work!
sinbad

Re: Question about lap top recording

Post by sinbad »

The usb cable can only do 32 bit (LINE 2 USB works with virtually all popular 32-bit compatible recording software.) If that's no problem then it's worth a try.
Take a look at the Behringer U-Control UCA222, it's a tad cheaper and has a S/PDIF output.
Tjrich12

Post by Tjrich12 »

Thanks Sinbad...I like it! It comes with free software so I might steal a few plugins from it to use with MTS.

I'm also looking to add drums. Do you make your own loops or use something else?
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I use jamstix and anything I get free off the net :mrgreen: