On Windows 7 64bit, should I install 32bit or 64bit MTS?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
ad1mt

Post by ad1mt »

Hi,
I know both will work in theory... I'm thinking about reliability and compatibility with VST plugins, etc.
Thanks, Mark.
Saz

Re: On Windows 7 64bit, should I install 32bit or 64bit MTS?

Post by Saz »

Hello Mark!

I've been using 64bit MTS on Windows 7 64bit for several years with no problems.

32bit and 64bit(mostly) VST plugins work fine together here.
ad1mt

Post by ad1mt »

Saz wrote:Hello Mark!

32bit and 64bit(mostly) VST plugins work fine together here.
So when you say "mostly" do you mean there are fewer 64bit plugins, or that there are a higher percentage of 64bit plugins that have problems?
Saz

Post by Saz »

I mostly use 64bit plugins because they are newer, more developed and I have more of them.

Still, there's a few 32bit plugs I can't live without that aren't available in 64bit and they work fine together with the 64bit ones.

A very small number(maybe 4) of the many plugins I've tried over the years have had problems - and they were easy to live without.
Dijon

Post by Dijon »

The only reason to run a 32-bit DAW application on a 64-bit O.S. is if you have 32-bit VSTs that are both:

1) Indispensable to you, and the dev doesn't offer a 64-bit native version.

and

2) The built-in bridging in MTS Pro isn't working right with those VSTs, making it difficult or impossible to use them in your projects.

Otherwise, the benefits of 64-bit far outweigh any considerations I can think of for 32-bit.
ad1mt

Post by ad1mt »

Dijon wrote:The only reason to run a 32-bit DAW application on a 64-bit O.S. is if you have 32-bit VSTs that are both:
1) Indispensable to you, and the dev doesn't offer a 64-bit native version, and
2) The built-in bridging in MTS Pro isn't working right with those VSTs

Otherwise, the benefits of 64-bit far outweigh any considerations I can think of for 32-bit.
So, based on your experience, what percentage of plugins exist in 64bit versions?
And what are the benefits you see using the 64bit MTS?

As far as I'm aware, the benefits of 64bit vs 32bit are mainly to do with being able to address more memory (which becomes an advantage if the program uses a lot of memory); or if the program does a lot of 64bit arithmetic.

Final question... could I install both the 64bit and 32bit versions in Windows 7, and use whichever I like? E.g. if I started a project with the 64bit MTS, then needed a 32bit plugin, could I then open that project in the 32bit MTS to do some work using the 32bit plugin, then re-open the same project again in the 64bit MTS?

Thanks, Mark.
Dijon

Post by Dijon »

Most, if not all, plugins being developed (ie. still getting updates) should have 64-bit versions available.

The main benefits of 64 bit have already been mentioned here (Still in development by the dev; Can address more memory, etc).

Yes, you can install both 32 and 64-bit versions of a plugin on Win 7, but I'd strongly recommend that you keep them in separate, dedicated folders. That said, if you have more than a few 32-bit plugins, it can get confusing keeping track of what is what. I'll go out on a limb and guess that most users stick with one version or the other for the most part.

I don't know if the MTS bridge allows 64-bit plugins in the 32-bit MTS... jBridge, the 3rd party bridge utility, does allow it.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I use the 64 bit version and have had no problems with 32bit vst's. There are so many plugins around today, that should a problem arise, which I don't expect, there is bound to be an alternative plug available. And loads of them are free :mrgreen:
moxol

Post by moxol »

I have been using MTS x64 on Windows 7 x64 and Windows 10 x64 with no problems at all.
Only issues I have is with The Grand 2 VST 32bit from Steinberg. It works ok, but for some reason it won't save changed parameters in VST itself, for example changing reverb amount, so I have to reconfigure every time I load song. And on Windows 7 x64 when I load The Grand 2, there is a bug which wasn't resolved, with windows that won't show.
Other then that, MTS is working perfectly.