Broke my MTS asio4all

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
DavidFord

Broke my MTS asio4all

Post by DavidFord »

Hi Peeps
Been buying your stuff forever and today I realized you have a forum LOL. Ok, I broke something an I cant figure it out. So Im going to go nice and slow. (ps: Just bought the Pro 2 days ago, but either way Ive always had everything working)

First let me explain how I have gear attached. I have my guitar. Then the chord goes to a little plastic box from Line 6. It has capabilities to connect by USB, or Line in. Since Ive been using USB for over 10 years, I dont use the line in, just USB. So in behind the computer to USB in.

Second, I use the line 6 software. This has chorus, flanger, reverb, this is the heart and soul of my sound (its like my guitar amp with attitude) . Dont need MTS to work this. I always have this on auto settings. MTS did work with it fine. This part was not touched. I believe it uses the adio4all as well.

Third. MTS its self. I will give you the set up that DOES work. Lets go Studio>>Devices. Ok, now this is where I get confused. (this is the part thats broken LOL) So I'll give the settings

Audio Driver Type: Windows XP (NOT RECOMMENDED)
Audio In Device: Digital Audio Interface (Line 6)
MIDI In Devices: None
Audio Out Device (High Latency): Speakers (Realtek High Definition)
Audio Out Device (Low Latency): Primary Sound Driver [Latency 3072]samples
MIDI Out Devices: None

Those setting DO work, guitar can record, the track can play ALL at the same time. So Im going to go over how the recording process goes for me:

Track 1: energy 160 beats per minute guitar backtrack (this has bass, drums, rhythm guitar all in one track)
Track 2: Lead 1 solo (this is my guitar track the I record too)

Some of my work, has multiple tracks, but I made is simple. I can click record on track 2, while playing track 1. When Im finished, I can go back to beginning, and play both tracks, and it works. Problem is it sounds like sh* (*looks at forum rules) shtupid music LOL.

I think default is "Windows" Driver type. Cant remember, as I broke this LOL. I will give you my possible options for that setting.

Audio Driver Type: Windows
Audio In Device: None, Default, Digital Audio Interface (Line 6 TonePort GX)
Midi In Devices: None, Line 6 TonePort GX (same for a 4 columns)
Audio Out Device: None, Default, Speakers (RealTek High Definition Audio). [latency 12]
Midi Out Devices: None, Default, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, Line 6 TonePort GX

With the above setting, I can either use Line 6 alone, or MTS alone. They wont work together. Now I did press record, on MTS, on track 2, strum the guitar, and see the needle move (not sure if right term) this means MTS can hear it, just not me.

I have an Asio4All driver type as well. Not sure what to press with these either. I'll show those options.

Audio Driver Type: ASIO
MIDI In Devices: None, Line 6 TonePort GX (same for all 4 columns)
Audio Device: None, ASIO TonePort GX, ASIO4ALL v2,
MIDI Out Devices: None, Default, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, Line 6 TonePort GX

Personally I dont know what a MIDI devices is. The only input I use is a USB as stated above. If it is the same thing, please let me know.

And finally, all my options for the ASIO4ALL settings Im aloud.

Under WDM Device List I Have in order:

Realtek High Definition Audio
Realtek HD Audio Stereo input
Realtek HD Audio output
Realtek HD Audio Mic input
Line 6 TonePort GX
Out: 2x 44.1-48k Hz, 24Bits
In: 2x 44.1-48k Hz, 24 Bits

ASIO Buffer Size = 512 Samples

I think that might be all that matters there as Ive never really touched this thing. I dont know what to turn on or off on this. Im believing I have all the settings, let me know, what else is needed. I also added my YT video I just uploaded using MTS last week to show it does work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgFMY1lYhCU
Support

Re: Broke my MTS asio4all

Post by Support »

DavidFord wrote:Audio Driver Type: Windows
Audio In Device: None, Default, Digital Audio Interface (Line 6 TonePort GX)
Midi In Devices: None, Line 6 TonePort GX (same for a 4 columns)
Audio Out Device: None, Default, Speakers (RealTek High Definition Audio). [latency 12]
Midi Out Devices: None, Default, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, Line 6 TonePort GX

With the above setting, I can either use Line 6 alone, or MTS alone. They wont work together.
If you're on Windows 10 you can switch on 'Shared mode (Windows 10)'. This allows other programs to use the audio playback device while MTS is running.

If you're using an older Windows version you have to get Asio4All working.

Giel Bremmers
DavidFord

Post by DavidFord »

Thank you Giel Bremmers, but thats not the only prob Im having I dont know what MIDI in, MIDI out, or any of that is. I dont know how to set up any of it, cause the manual kinda speaks like a robot. Thats why I gave ALL of my choices LOL. For example:

Audio in device: Would this be what Im using for the guitar itself? For example (Line 6 TonePort GX)
midi in: none
midi out: none
audio out: Speakers? (I would think this, but what do I know LOL)

I dont speak software, and dont get all of the mapping and connections. I hope I cleared up my frustrations LOL/
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

You can brush up on your midi here: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/midi-tutorial/all
Support

Post by Support »

DavidFord wrote:Thank you Giel Bremmers, but thats not the only prob Im having I dont know what MIDI in, MIDI out, or any of that is. I dont know how to set up any of it, cause the manual kinda speaks like a robot. Thats why I gave ALL of my choices LOL. For example:

Audio in device: Would this be what Im using for the guitar itself? For example (Line 6 TonePort GX)
midi in: none
midi out: none
audio out: Speakers? (I would think this, but what do I know LOL)

I dont speak software, and dont get all of the mapping and connections. I hope I cleared up my frustrations LOL/
Thanks for the report you've sent.

Using the Windows driver type there's just one audio output device (Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)), and only audio input device (Digital Audio Interface (Line 6 TonePort GX)). So these are the ones you should use.

You don't need any MIDI devices.

Perhaps all you need to do is engage the Mon button (at the top of the main window), so you can hear the guitar while recording?

Giel Bremmers
DavidFord

Post by DavidFord »

Ok Giel this is what ive discovered (we r getting there LOL) On my way back today from New Hampshire, I remembered I still had an Audacity on my computer. When I got home, I turned on my line 6, open Audacity, and was able to record a track. This meant my line 6 is still working, no prob

I then opened MTS, read your reply and did what you said. So its set to your suggestion. It still didnt work. So I then created a whole new track after the other current tracks. I thought maybe, the tracks were no good or something. At FIRST this seemed to be the case. I pressed record, and there, the guitar could be heard. I pressed record-play, to record on the track. It did do everything it was supposed to do.

But here is where the problem now is. If its in record-pause, or record-play, you can hear the guitar. When your done, the guitar is gone again. Thats why. For some reason, the play (green) mutes it, but when getting ready to record (red) or actually recording (red) you can hear it. Its the green play button mode that doing the silencing. And I always, hear the other tracks. Its just a guitar being muted in play mode.We figure that out, and it should be all set.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

That seems to be the normal setup. When you arm (red) the track and set monitor on you can hear the input to the armed track. If the track is in play mode (green) then there is no external input selected to that track so you only hear what is already recorded to that track.
Support

Post by Support »

Sinbad is right.

You may be able to set up direct monitoring outside MultitrackStudio (see https://www.multitrackstudio.com/monitoring.php)

Within MultitrackStudio 'practice mode' may come in handy: https://www.multitrackstudio.com/practicemode.php

Giel Bremmers
DavidFord

Post by DavidFord »

Ok Giel,

Stand by with this topic. I will send a support ticket, when probs are back. What I thought last night, was how does a new updated MTS, not work with guitar? Even after all the setting you told me. Im thinking, even if I got the updated files for my line 6, is it possible, being 10 years old, is it possible its a line 6 thing. Also that Audacity has been on this comp forever as well. Maybe that why they work together.

Thinking that, I uninstalled line 6, and re-installed. And surer than hell, line 6 doesnt work. Even after re-downloading the newest line 6 file, it wont work properly. I sent out a support ticket to line 6, and told them the whole story. They may look at this topic.

If I cant fix the Line 6, Im just going to have to buy the newest line 6 gear. Theres one for about $200 catching my eye, and that one is still being updated, lots of support etc. My old one is limited on help. Im not saying MTS is out of the woods. Im saying maybe that version of line 6, wasnt going to work properly anyway. So I'll give a buzz with a support ticket, and we will re convene on this topic . Damn do I hate HP all-in-one computers. This thing wont stop fighting me with everything LOL.