Track Editing, Rewind button, and MTS.zip exporting??

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
KenHardy

Track Editing, Rewind button, and MTS.zip exporting??

Post by KenHardy »

Having switched completely from GarageBand (iPad) to MTS (iPad), three issues continue to bother me:

1. The omission of a rewind button being added to the most recent update is a curiosity. Multiple users, including myself have begged for one, and it doesn't seem like much to ask.....but silence from Giel on this issue.......whass up with that?

2. In MTS for iPad, track editing is not intuitive....nor well-explained in the manual. When trying to move an entire track (or even a section within a track) in any direction, it is the yellow highlight which moves after a tap-and-drag, not the audio wave itself....until the finger is released from the touchscreen. Only then does the highlighted waveform snap into place (who knows where), wiping out everything in its path. This "after the fact" relocation of audio/midi may not direct the sound/notes exactly where they were meant to be, requiring you to repeat the process over and over again until it finally (and seemingly blindly) ends up where you want it to be. Why not simply have the wave AND the highlighted box BOTH move exactly where you want them to go on the first tap and drag (also letting you see exactly WHAT you'll be deleting). This is precisely what GB does, and it is completely intuitive. Unfortunately, GB requires prior track splits to do this, which MTS conveniently obviates with its quick and accurate high-lightening process). Why not let MTS do both things at the same time, eliminating the need for repeat attempts?

3. When I export a finished song in MTS.zip format, where does it go? I'd like to directly upload it to DropBox so my Distant MTS (for Mac) co-writer can drop all my tracks directly into his MTS Mac program for his own addition/edits. But I don't see any easy way to do this, even using AudioShare. We're both desperately trying to get around all the constant iTunes computer syncs which Apple mandates (apparently to be as insulting as possible to its customers). I buy plenty of stuff from iTunes. But I certainly don't need that program (in my distant desktop PC) constantly getting in the way of collaborative writing and recording between my iPad/MTS and my collaborators Mac/MTS. THIS IS PRECISELY THE REASON WE'VE BOTH SWITCHED TO MTS.

Feedback on these three points would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken Hardy, M.D., Ph. D.
And P. S. I'm almost ready to post my first multitrack (seven full audio tracts) recording done on MTS.....came out beautifully!)
Support

Re: Track Editing, Rewind button, and MTS.zip exporting??

Post by Support »

1. The request has been noted. It hasn't been looked into yet. Screen estate is limited, so it may not be as simple at it seems.

2. Yes, it should show the audio/midi data while it's being moved. It's on the list.

3. Currently the zip files can only be moved to/from to iPad using iTunes. Maybe you can transfer audio files instead? You can move them to/from DropBox using AudioShare.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Re: Track Editing, Rewind button, and MTS.zip exporting??

Post by KenHardy »

Thanks for the prompt reply, as always. Delighted to hear that both the rewind button and track editing issues are indeed in the works.

Yes, transfer of individual audio files using AudioShare does indeed work well and quite independently of iTunes. It's just that when using AudioShare or general pasteboard to export audio tracts from MTS iPad, each track of a MTS recording becomes its own audio file which must be sent one at a time to AudioShare, then up- and downloaded to DropBox. A single 10 track recording will require 10 different transfers and then one upload to DropBox from me, followed by a DropBox download of ten different tracts by my distant collaborator, who still has to load each track separately into his MTS Mac. Using the MTS iPad iTunes file sharing option, all ten audio tracks can indeed be output at once, but a separate computer sync will be needed to access those files, save them, zip then together and then upload them as a zip file to DropBox. My collaborator will still still have to unzip the files and load each into 10 separate tracks of MTS in his Mac.

The resident zip export function of the MTS for iPad has the enormous potential to eliminate all these steps and problems. With one click it creates an MTS.zip file which, once unzipped in my collaborators Mac can otherwise directly import all 10 edited tracks directly into his MTS Mac program (with one click). But currently there is no way to get that MTS.zip file out of the MTS iPad app and into either AudioShare, DropBox or my collaborator's MTS Mac program, unless my iPad is synced through iTunes to another computer. So either ten times the effort must be currently invested in transferring MTS multi tracks without iTunes (i.e. via Audioshare or General pasteboard), or we must live with the only current option, which is exporting our MTS tracts to an invisible MTS.ZIP format which can only be accessed via constant, annoying iTunes syncs. Why is Apple doing that to us.....and to you?