Audio import options?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
beyond

Audio import options?

Post by beyond »

Hi All, just purchased today, and just want to be clear: what are the options currently for importing audio? I understand audiobus is not yet supported (but it would be very good to add it), and I understand IAA is supported (but I can't figure out how to use it), but what about audio copy/paste? Can I paste in audio from another app other than when I create a track?

And if that's the only pasting option, once I've pasted it in starting at the beginning of a new track, can I move the audio to another part of the song, or does it have to stay at the beginning?

Thanks for any info/updates!
Support

Re: Audio import options?

Post by Support »

beyond wrote:I understand audiobus is not yet supported
It's being worked on.
beyond wrote:I understand IAA is supported (but I can't figure out how to use it)
You can longtap an effect slot and load an app.
beyond wrote:Can I paste in audio from another app other than when I create a track?
No, but once it's in a track you can do all kinds of things with it using the track editors. You can move it to a different time, copy/paste within to same track or to other tracks, repeat it a couple of times etc.

Giel Bremmers
beyond

Post by beyond »

OK, yes, figured out how to move a pasted audio clip, thanks. :)

Follow up question: can I merge tracks together? For example, if I can only paste when I create a new track, if I have twenty pasted items in my composition, then I've already exceeded the available number of tracks. Can I paste in audio into a new track, position it correctly in the timeline using the track editor, and then somehow merge that track with another audio track to free up that track space so I can paste something else into a new track without "using up" an available track slot?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks! :)
beyond

Post by beyond »

OK, I read another thread and figured out how to export to the pasteboard with the desired tracks solo'd, then reimport them on a new track, which essentially is like bouncing/merging -- a few extra steps, but it works. Any plans for a true merge feature in the future? Thanks. :)
Support

Post by Support »

beyond wrote:OK, I read another thread and figured out how to export to the pasteboard with the desired tracks solo'd, then reimport them on a new track, which essentially is like bouncing/merging -- a few extra steps, but it works.
That's a good way to do it.
Note that you can move audio (or MIDI) from one track editor to another using copy/paste or drag-and-drop. So an alternative solution would be to build your 'merged track' in a single track right from the start.
beyond wrote:Any plans for a true merge feature in the future?
It's currently not planned.

Giel Bremmers
beyond

Post by beyond »

Drag and drop? Wow, I didn't realize that, thanks! OK, this is quickly becoming much more usable. Thank you for the info! But that introduces another question: if you drag and drop, can you retain both the original audio on the new track as well as the dragged/dropped, or does the dragged/dropped overwrite the original audio in the track? And which track volume rules, the original track, or the new one? Thanks.
Support

Post by Support »

beyond wrote:if you drag and drop, can you retain both the original audio on the new track as well as the dragged/dropped, or does the dragged/dropped overwrite the original audio in the track?
The original audio is overwritten. MIDI tracks do have both options by the way: if you tap MORE and then Merge it will paste without removing the existing notes.
beyond wrote:And which track volume rules, the original track, or the new one?
The editors ignore track faders altogether. You can tap an editor's EDIT button and use the fader that appears to change the volume of the selected part. Alternatively you can use an Automated Fader effect to program volume changes.

Giel Bremmers