The importance of the soundcard

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Grampasso

The importance of the soundcard

Post by Grampasso »

Since I recently moved all my virtual studio (MTS and other stuff) from a desktop PC (equipped with Creative soundcard, external monitor etc.) to a laptop (with integrated soundcard), I've some questions for you... :wink:

First of all: I DO NOT USE PC TO RECORD MUSIC!!!
I use a Fostex MR-8 to record voices and guitars and I get wav files to put in MTS together with midi track played through VST instruments.
So I have all digital stuff and MTS gives back to me a digital mixdown, without any A/D or D/A conversion, right?

In this case, what is the importance of the soundcard?
Is it involved in MTS mixdown or it's just a process that uses CPU and RAM?

Bye
Gra
Mac

Post by Mac »

In your case the purpose of the soundcard is at playback so you can have a D-A to drive amplified speakers (or headphones) so you can hear your mixing.

You might not think that's critical until you try to mix without it...

If what you are asking is if the soundcard has anything to do with your final mixdown, the answer is no in the sense that the numbers do not pass through the sound device to get to the final product, BUT, since you are monitoring your mixes through that sound device in order to hear the differences in audio you are creating, the sound device can have an impact on the final product.

That said, any laptop less than a year or two old should have a fairly decent playback device in it, good enough to get the job done anyway. Where they often lack is in the input department and unless you are using the line input to record stuff it is a moot point.

Of course, a better quality sound device would let you hear better quality when mixing, but it is not absolutely necessary.

--Mac
Grampasso

Post by Grampasso »

Thank you for the answer!

My laptop is a HP Pavillon and it's equipped with a Conexant AC-Link Audio soundcard.

At the moment I haven't still really tested how it works and I'm a little worried about final results because of the new soundcard and, much more, because I'm going to mix using an headphone (AKG k240 Studio)...

... I know that I shouldn't do it, but that's so.. :cry:

Let's hope to get something good!

Bye
Gra