track freezing

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

track freezing

Post by Robomusic »

Does MTS have any kind of freeze function? that would save on CPU, i have been just been recording the track to an audio track, but a true freeze would be nice.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Currently I think you are using the only method if you are doing this (from the manual):
Record Master
If this options is activated recording audio tracks will record the output of the Master section (or simply the output if the
Master section is disabled) instead of the Audio In Device. This option can be used to mix down the Song to stereo (see
mastering).
This option can also be used to 'bounce' tracks in order to reduce the number of tracks used by the song. For example: a
five track backing vocal group can be bounced to a single track by recording the five tracks to a new track (temporarily turn
of all other tracks, and bypass any effects in the Master section). Having done this, the five original tracks can be turned off
(using their Play button) and the new track can be used instead.
In a similar way this option can be used to 'freeze' a track that uses effects or a softsynth that require a lot of processing
power.

C'mon, it isn't all that inconvenient is it?

Sometimes I'd like to be able to sentence you guys to go back in time and spend four or five months with the tape and the razor blades, because to me what we have today is like a walk in the park.

And I'm really concerned that this software would get pushed into just what all the others currently are, cluttered GUIs, too many options, not enough reliability.

Seems we have plenty of other options if that is what we desire. Consider purchasing Sonar or ntrack or something, you'll have the button but it may or may not work on your machine, or Charlie's, might work on others, but what the hey.

okay, </rant> 8)

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Yeah you are right again, i have N-T as you know and the freeze is a royal pain, i have Cakewalk's new Music creator 3 the newest version of it's entry level product, and ya know what, the thing does not work.

I had tracktion, but it was a bear to navigate, and i also have Powertracks 10 but i do not like to track in it, cause other than midi i do not like ther features, i also have Vegas, a powerful audio program, but no midi, MTS does lay it all out there., One other feature i hoped for was looping, but that is what Acid is for loop a track export and import and bingo!

On another note, i felt kinda "Mac" like ther other day, i was given a flat screen LCD monitor, that belong to my wife's boss, and he replaced it due to a problem of it going black on him every few minutes prompting a shut off and on. I tried it and found it did the same to me, go figure right. So with a bit of searching on the web, i found detailed instructions on how o fix it, eight resoldered points later i have a brand new sparking HP LCD screen that has been working flawlessly for over a week now.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Robomusic wrote:
On another note, i felt kinda "Mac" like ther other day, i was given a flat screen LCD monitor, that belong to my wife's boss, and he replaced it due to a problem of it going black on him every few minutes prompting a shut off and on. I tried it and found it did the same to me, go figure right. So with a bit of searching on the web, i found detailed instructions on how o fix it, eight resoldered points later i have a brand new sparking HP LCD screen that has been working flawlessly for over a week now.
(smile)

Dontcha just luvit?

I once got a two year old sports car the same way.

--Mac
Support

Post by Support »

FYI: you can freeze softsynths by simply saving the track as an audio file. From the help file:
"Freezing" Softsynths

Softsynth tracks can be saved to an audio file using the track's Save As option. This can be very useful if a softsynth uses a lot of CPU power. The softsynth is effectively replaced by an audio file, but all effects and mixer settings etc. stay the same, so the sound is identical. The File Options Button can be used to load the MIDI file again (it appears in the File History at the bottom of the menu). The softsynth will be reloaded automatically. This feature is usually called 'freeze'.

A softsynth's output level could be too high for an audio file, so the signal gets clipped. If this happens you can use the MIDI track's Controller editor to turn down the Volume or Expression controllers. Pro Plus edition users can use 32 bit float type .wav files. These files do not clip the audio signal so the problem won't occur.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Now see i have forgotten more about this program than i remember, i do recall that now, I guess that you would have to solo or mute to get that track alone, without the others, i will do some experimenting.

Okay i tried this and i am lost, all i get is a box that pops up and lets me save the whole song.
Support

Post by Support »

Use the small button below the box that holds the track's name, and choose save as. Then type an audio file name (like 'piano.wav'), and there you go.
You can use the same small button to 'unfreeze' the track again by choosing the midi file which will now be listed.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Okay i tried and it works, not well, but works, i think the issue is mine though i just got a crackly output, i have ben tweeking the asio settings a tad and got things unsteady., i will try on another project.
Support

Post by Support »

The soundcard isn't supposed to have any influence on the saved audio file. Are you sure the crackles aren't caused by clipping? You can use a 'floating point' .wav file to make sure this doesn't happen.
Mac

Post by Mac »

If you like 'em loud, always use the floating point!

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I'll do some testing of that thanks a heap.