Newbie Question

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Teej

Newbie Question

Post by Teej »

Hey room what's goin' on? I'm having a problem with editing you might be able to help me with. I'm able to edit the unwanted noise before and after my recordings but I'm left with a lengthy silence on both ends and don't know how to get rid of it. Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I should imagine that if you just cut the track just before and just after the music and then save that would work.(it worked in ntrack like that) Otherwise mixdown to a new file having first defined a start and stop point. Hope that helps.
Mac

Post by Mac »

For the 'heads' you can shift or move tracks in MTS by sliding them to the left. See the manual, this is actually cool and nondestructive in nature, you have the option of sliding them back to where they were later if you need to.

I use a separate audio editor for mixed down heads and tails cleanup, so have never looked into how to edit off the tails inside MTS. I'm sure it should be possible to do, though. I keep a copy of the .pdf MTS manual on my DAW and refer to it while I work, using the adobe find function to rapidly search through the thing to find what I'm after using keywords. Sometimes I don't use the right keywords, though, and am learning how to type in other keywords that may be close to what I'm after.

Saz would be our resident MTS track-shifting and paring expert I think, wait for him to check in on this one would be good advice.

--Mac
Saz

Post by Saz »

I also use an audio editor for "topping and tailing" completed songs, but it can be done in MTS.

Slide the track to the left as Mac suggested. With the track still selected, click the "EDIT" button(bottom left) and use the "Automated Fader" function in one of the 3 effects slots in the "Edit Control" window for any fade in or fade out you want. Then click the little "File Options" button (bottom right of the file name box) and click Save As.

This works, but it will also create 3 extra files in the folder you are working in(.lst, .~lst and .edit)

I find a dedicated audio editor to be much easier.
SleggTheSockpuppet

Post by SleggTheSockpuppet »

no - all you need to do is check the "insert" button (next to "snap" at the top) before clicking delete: the track will then move up to the beginning of the playing time with the deleted bits entirely gone, rather than just silenced ----- but this willl be a .1st track (as described by our resident experts above) that won't open in other programs or go onto audio cds

OR - select the stuff you want to keep minus the ends you wish to remove (with or without fade-ns, -outs, or other edits, but definitely minus the ends you witsh to remove), then click "export" (under the track edit window with "copy", "delete" & all that) and save it with a new name (eg "trackX(cropped)" - - - - you will then get a .wav file you can write to cd etc. , but you it won't automatically appear in the window, you need to open it (in the same or another track window) [this will turn any edited (.1st, 2nd, etc.) into a .wav file, even if you don't need to crop the ends - - - but i'm not sure whether or not you can do that more simply just by doing a normal "save as" without the "export function"??? saz? mac? giels?

does that make sense - i'm pretty sure it's the answer you were after

.... on second thoughts, i think i might have just understood what saz said, and it's probably a simpler way i didn't about,(maybe combined with "export") ... hmmm , think i'll shut up & go now
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

I found that tailing the song seems to be the problem. If you "select" part of a track and make it silent (using "delete") it kills that part of the track - but it can also make the song longer... as far as the time line at the top is concerned.
I figure the song length is measured by the time written to file or memory, even if you have written silence..

So the answer seems to be this: Use the delete method as above one by one on all your tracks until the tail end is clean
Now park the cursor at the end of the final sound, select all the tracks for record and then record a second of silence. The song will now terminate at that point, rather than at the end of the last track.

Hmm. I hope this makes sense. :-)

P
Mac

Post by Mac »

Sounds to me like there are just more than one way to skin this particular cat.

I've used the external audio editing suite for so long now with other programs that I will likely to continue to do it.

Do like that one idea of highlighting a region for export, though. Will probably incorporate that into my workflow from time to time.

--Mac
teej813

Post by teej813 »

hey, there's another teej...

at least, i think that was somebody else.. i usually register using 813 (my birth date), and i don't recall asking a question here way back in May.

but i've slept since then. :P

don't mind me. just catching up on some forum topics.

teej