Files get copied when editing

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Saz

Post by Saz »

Support wrote:Do I smell a request here? :D
Yeah - as long as it fits something like...

stereoacousticdrumtrackmix81706johnwootenblueberryjam93bpmeqenhanced24bit48k.wav

:D
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

And while we are making request, could you include that every important talent button!??!? :shock:
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

It seems I've started something :)
What I would like is something like my emu patchmix, where when you click on a parmeter you get an enlarged view so that you can see what you're selecting a lot clearer. I know that it is shown in the taskbar, but for the visually impaired (me) that would be a great improvement. It also means that with a radio mouse you could set parameters from a distance while recording :D . Now if I could also see the bpm at a glance on the click track..
SleggTheSockpuppet

Post by SleggTheSockpuppet »

when you've fininished editing, select the whole (edited) track with the "select all" button beneath it, click the "export" button (also beneath it), then, when it gives the "save as" window, rename it [e.g. from "guitar" to "guit(ed)"]. Finally open the newly-named file in the track that the edited track was in, and then delete the edited track (the ".1st" file, and all the edits will go with it
SleggTheSockpuppet

Post by SleggTheSockpuppet »

oh.

giels said that already.

(hi giels)
teej813

Post by teej813 »

Interesting discussion. I too, tend to use an external editor (WaveLab) for more meticulous edits. This thread makes me realize that i won't be opening the latest version of a WAV file.

Just one more change in workflow, i guess. Man, i'm too old to be changing this many things at once! :P

teej
noisyplanet

Post by noisyplanet »

Ok, this is the closest thread i could find to my 'issue'. I've been moving all my MTS work over to a new pc, most songs no problem, but for some strange reason one song i have wont copy over to new pc.
When i open the song on new pc, all the 'edit' files are missing!, they all seem to be sitting in 'documents and settings' on old pc, i've tried copying them over to new pc, but when song is opened its still looking for them elsewhere.
is there a way i can save this song in one neat bundle on old pc, then transfer the lot over to new pc, i'm a little stumped.....help!

Noisy
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

It may have something to do with the relative adresses of the files. When you move a bunch of files which are referencing each other, the reference gets screwed up. If you browse for the files as they come up and then save the song then the connections should be updated. Make sure you have a copy of everything before you start :)
noisyplanet

Post by noisyplanet »

These files have no browse option, error message as follows:

An error occured while loading file; sundrum.lst
File C:\Documents and settings\Administrator_edit9c5iod.edit cannot be found. this edit or punch-in recording will be removed from the file.

OK is the only option, removing that particular edit, (one of about 80!!) rendering hours of work useless.
I have copied all the edit over to new pc and tried moving them to various locations and still no joy, the song will only open in its complete form on the old pc.
If its of any help i never 'named' the song, i have since named it and re-saved but still no joy.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

At least you still have the song on your old oc :D

Do you still need the edits as edits, or could you finalize the track on your old pc as suggested in the post from SleggTheSockpuppet? You could always burn all the files to disc for safety, that way you wouldn't lose any editing.
The only other chance you have is mailing support@multitrackstudio.com and asking for advice. The problem seems that the edit files have gone into some default folder which is not on your new pc. The trick would be to try and reconstruct the file tree and path somehow.
Support

Post by Support »

The edit files are supposed to be in the same folder as the sundrum.lst file.

But I think Sinbad's tip is a good one: just save the sundrum track as a .wav file on the old computer and use that file.

Giel Bremmers
noisyplanet

Post by noisyplanet »

thanks guys, ive decided to to save each track as a wav then import them on to new pc, damn mysterious as to why the edit files saved in docs and settings :? new pc will solve all my problems i'm sure...........only erm... i have a couple of new problems lol, DONT PANIC!!! i'm gonna start a new discussion, i'm feeling like a nuisance now :D but a big THANKS!!

p.s I'm just lovin 4.3
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

When you add new .WAV files to a project, it is best to copy them into the song folder of your song before using them. That way you won't get edit and list files outside of the song folder; they will all be in one place.