New MTS user.. just saying hi.

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
teej813

New MTS user.. just saying hi.

Post by teej813 »

Greetings! Just introducing myself as a potential MTS user. It's good to see there's a forum here where i can get help.

hey, Mac, Saz.. i 'spect i'll see a few other familiar names.

teej
Saz

Post by Saz »

Welcome teej!

Since MTS performs so well, there's not exactly a lot of activity around here - kinda like the Maytag repairman. :)

Most questions do get answered though, so fire at will - we need the practice.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Welcome to the world where the music gets made, teej.

I found I had to actually get used to the idea of not having to tweak the machine every three sessions. Actually kind of missed it for a minute before I realized that the whole thing was not about the PC but about the MUSIC MAKING.

Ah, is this a problem? Oooh, goody.

Wait, not a problem really, I just didn't do the right move.

Rats.

Now I have to continue on tracking and mixing.

:D

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Welcome Teej to the land of git 'er done! take a close look at this dog cause she will hunt.
teej813

Post by teej813 »

i appreciate the welcome, gentlemen. While i enjoy tweaking PCs, Mac, i don't enjoy having to do it in the middle of a session. So, having a stable platform will be a nice change.

This dog may hunt, Robo, but she sure is different looking. I can see this will take some time to get acquainted with.

Thanks, Saz. I believe i'll take you up on that offer. I'll post questions as i they come up. First one... Does MTS do everything N does, or more precisely, everything i need?

I don't mind at all learning a new way to do something (envelopes, midi editing, routing, automated effects parameter changes, etc.). But before i spend a ton of time playing with the MTS demo (all 3 tracks!), i'd like to know that the time is well spent. A quick rundown of any limitations would be helpful.

Any 'gotchas' that you found lacking in MTS and had to have other software to do what you used to do with N?

While i'm waiting for resonses, i'll focus on importing existing tracks and learning the mix process.

teej
Saz

Post by Saz »

teej813 wrote: Thanks, Saz. I believe i'll take you up on that offer. I'll post questions as i they come up.
Great! Since there are so many methods of workflow, it's easier to answer specific questions.
First one... Does MTS do everything N does, or more precisely, everything i need?
Robomusic will be able to answer the "N" question better as he has used it much more recently than anyone here I believe.

As far as any limitations or 'gotchas', I honestly can't think of any that have hindered my workflow. I know others have said MTS lacks in the midi area, but for my simple midi needs it works fine. Again, without knowing your specific needs it's kinda hard to answer.

A quick read through the help file will reveal a lot of gems that may at first glance appear lacking in MTS. Also, Giel(the author) is most responsive to questions you email to him at MTS Support - and he has been very accommodating to implement suggestions posted on this forum.
While i'm waiting for resonses, i'll focus on importing existing tracks and learning the mix process.
Here's a cool trick for importing files - select the audio and midi files in Windows Explorer, then drag the whole bunch and drop it on the MTS window - all files will end up in separate tracks automatically.

Oh - if you need a larger edit window on a track, just drag the line separating the track slots.

MTS has a lot of "right-click" features - be sure to explore the screen parts for that. Also, here's some shortcuts that you may find helpful... http://www.multitrackstudio.com/forum/v ... .php?t=189

Another cool feature for adding the same effect(in a slot) to other tracks is to use "Ctrl + drag".

Hope this helps some in getting you off to good start. :)
Mac

Post by Mac »

Download the .pdf MANUAL and keep it.

Not only a good thing to read through first (a printout can make a booklet for the throne reading room) but also keep a copy on your machine for ready reference as you learn the ins and outs of MTS. Use the Search feature in adobe reader to good advantage when looking for specifics.

I have found the answer to most of my questions in the manual.

Some can't get around the MTS GUI, I just plain love it. Emulating a reel-to-reel with a 'shelf' of stuff to go to and drag is a wonderful thing to me.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I find the midi very good, i mean if I have to do what i call midi surgery, i use cakewalk or powertracks, but to process midi this is a snap, with N-T you have to open up the synth and route the midi to it, and if using a sampler like sampletank or kontact you have to send all the midi tracks to it on channels, but with MTS you just drag the synth into the slot in the midi track, or right click the slot, and choose, then you can send that signal to the effects sends and treat them like an audio track, very easy.

To open an envelope or automation one just needs to right click what you want to work with and an automation window pops up, working with groups and effects sends are so nice pop a reverb into effect 1 and a compressor into effect 2 (add as many as you want) and dial up the effect for each track to taste. pop a master limiter into the master track and adjust to your needs so easy.

When working with audio if you want to do a take and you mess up then just keep going and when finished, then open a second audio track and do a second take or just part of one and cut and paste a good part over a bad part just like working in microsoft word.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Welcom Teej, it takes a bit of getting used to, but it means that you are just learning something new in between takes instead of rebooting and reinstalling. :)
I miss the eq from ntrack, and I haven't found a way to convert to mp3, but that is a small price to pay. If you keep poking around and trying out the right mouse click you find all sorts of things to make life easier.
Have fun.
Theun

Post by Theun »

Hi,

There is a solution for almost everything within MultiTrackStudio. Much of it is hidden somewhere. The same way like keeping your tools in a box or on a shelf on the workshop floor! In most applications there are too many things that all want attention. Here there is only what you need, which makes life easier.
Solutions are often quite simple: saving to mp3 - use the "mix down to file" option from the "song" menu, and change the ".wav" extension of the file to be outputted manually into ".mp3". The program will come back with some options from which you can choose.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Doooh!!
thankfully there is always someone here who knows more than you. Failing that a call to support always gets results. That isn't standard with the competition either.
teej813

Post by teej813 »

Thanks, all.

I've DL'd the manual and am wading thru it tonight. I see several capabilities that weren't obvious initially, and that encourages me.

When i didn't see AUXes right away, i almost wrote the software off. Now i see Returns that i assume can be used in much the same way. Just have to read the details.

Same with evolutions.

Saz, your tip about importing multiple WAVs is very helpful. One at a time can be sllllloooow.

I also didn't see effect presets right away. Now, i see they're on the Shelf and can be dragged about. Slick.

MIDI looks pretty easy, and i like that. I don't use MIDI for much more than drums, so it doesn't have to be full featured.

Thanks for the link to kybd shortcuts. While i had found Home and a couple others, i hadn't found zoom. I zoom in and out all the time, and reaching for the mouse is a bit of a pain. + and - seem pretty handy.

Still reading...

teej
teej813

Post by teej813 »

Ok, i see a couple things im a bit uncomfortable with:

- I tend to solo more than 1 track at a time... like all guitar tracks.. or kick and bass looking for masking. MTS only lets me solo one track at a time.

- If i understand this right, volume evolutions are done using a plugin. While this works ok, its not very convenient. I tend to use volume evolutions lots, and drawing in a new window (and not on top of the WAV form) seems a bit unconventional.

- I like that MTS is clean and free of unneeded buttons and such. The fact that they are hidden until needed (attached to context menus and such) is very slick. But i do not like that MTS automatically hides an effect that im trying to adjust every time the effect loses focus. I find this really frustrating. Am i missing something? Some way to lock effects in place until im done with them?

teej
Saz

Post by Saz »

teej813 wrote:Ok, i see a couple things im a bit uncomfortable with:

- I tend to solo more than 1 track at a time... like all guitar tracks.. or kick and bass looking for masking. MTS only lets me solo one track at a time.
I like to "solo" more than 1 track at a time(a bit of a misnomer) as well and Giel addressed this in the last update after I requested such a feature. You can now toggle the Play, Rec, Mute or Edit buttons of all tracks simultaneously by using the Ctrl key. Using the Play or Mute buttons acheives the desired result for me and leaves the Solo button alone for its correct function.
- If i understand this right, volume evolutions are done using a plugin. While this works ok, its not very convenient. I tend to use volume evolutions lots, and drawing in a new window (and not on top of the WAV form) seems a bit unconventional.
I think this is a good point, teej and should be requested.
- I like that MTS is clean and free of unneeded buttons and such. The fact that they are hidden until needed (attached to context menus and such) is very slick. But i do not like that MTS automatically hides an effect that im trying to adjust every time the effect loses focus. I find this really frustrating. Am i missing something? Some way to lock effects in place until im done with them?
Thanks to sinbad, I believe this is on Giel's to-do list.
teej813

Post by teej813 »

Thanks, Saz. Good to know Geil is listening to users.

I'm just starting to play with MIDI. Seems pretty straight forward for the basic stuff that i use. One question...

Can MTS start recording when an external sequencer (drum machine, in my case) is started?

tj