Multi-Band Compressor

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Kid Dutch

Multi-Band Compressor

Post by Kid Dutch »

Mac -

In the Audiominds forum you referred to a "good Multi-Band Compressor".

What MBC are you using with MTS?

Dutch
Mac

Post by Mac »

The answer is, "I'm not." Not yet, anyway.

I typically Master in SoundForge 7. Older but reliable, and contains a world class set of effects, including the Multi-Band Comp.

But inside MTS, see page 35 of the MTS manual for the "Band Effect" -- same thing.

Haven't done it yet, but am going to soon be looking into using MTS for the whole shootin' match, that Master strip plus the Band Effect and a few other features should be able to do the job well and then some. I think that's all SAZ uses and his stuff sounds great.

PS -- The only reason I'm still doing it the way I'm doing it is old habits, I've used Soundforge for years, ever since ver. 4 came out, but am not liking the copy protection crap in which every time I change machines -- or processor even -- I have to email Sony and do the "mother may I" dance for a new reg. code. Bah. I think that MTS contains everything you need to go from start to finish actually, will be experimenting more and more in that direction, looking forward to the day I can forget about SoundForge entirely. Maybe.

--Mac
Kid Dutch

Post by Kid Dutch »

Didn't N-Track have a multi-band compressor?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Kid Dutch wrote:Didn't N-Track have a multi-band compressor?
Honestly don't remember. There was the n-Track comp, but it wasn't multiband.

My first thought was, "who cares?" :twisted:

I'm long through with sudden surprises, crashes, freezes and junk that don't work right.

MTS is good stuff, take the time to learn it, that seems to be the biggest problem for those switching over. Things may look different, be done differently than you are used to in the past, and things may be labled differently, but the thing flat WORKS, everytime.

--Mac
Kid Dutch

Post by Kid Dutch »

Geez Mac , you up your crotchety pill dosage? :P :lol:

Naw I didn't mean I was gonna use N-track, I meant I thought there was a VST multi band compressor used with N-track.

I do plan to do all my new projects with MTS.

Anyway don't remember whose MB compressor it was. Anyone recall?
Saz

Post by Saz »

Mac wrote:Haven't done it yet, but am going to soon be looking into using MTS for the whole shootin' match, that Master strip plus the Band Effect and a few other features should be able to do the job well and then some. I think that's all SAZ uses and his stuff sounds great.
Thanks for the kudos Mac! I mostly do it all in MTS now that I've learned to "listen" better - in large part, due to your help.

Kid Dutch - You can set up a nice Multiband Compressor like Mac said, using the MTS "Band Effect" - or download the free VST "C3 Multi Band Compressor" here... http://www.geocities.jp/webmaster_of_sss/vst/#c3

A good shareware VST is TripleComp... http://www.sinusweb.de/triple.html It has been mentioned several times at the AudioMinds forum.
teej813

Post by teej813 »

I'll second TripleComp. Love it!

And yes, N comes with a MBC.. it's based on (purchased from?) the C3.

teej
Kid Dutch

Post by Kid Dutch »

thanks gents - I'll try tehm.
Frusciante

Post by Frusciante »

Hi there,

I guess it's simple on how to use the "band-effect" and putting the compressor in.

However, I don't know WHEN I should use this. To what effect du you use the multi-bend compressor, and what are the results? What happens if you don't use it adequately?
teej813

Post by teej813 »

hey, Frus...

I guess the proper answer to your question is 'Use a compressor, single or multi-band, when it makes the song sound better'.

Compressors monitor the track's volume. When the volume gets too high, the comp turns the volume down. Depending on the settings, it can either make subtle or drastic changes to the volume. Proper use of a compressor can help tame tracks with lots of loud parts and make the track more pleasant to listen to. Improper use of a compressor can cause unnatural volume changes and/or squash the life out of a track.

It's a good idea to study how a compressor works. It's also good to carefully listen to what a compressor is doing. You might want to start here... http://audiominds.com/mixing/compression.php. Actually, some time spent on other pages of that site may be worthwhile.

tj