VTSi - how does it work with MultiTrackStudio?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
doveman

VTSi - how does it work with MultiTrackStudio?

Post by doveman »

I've been using MTS since 2002/2003 and have made all of MY MUSIC. I like the software but want to get into VTSi (drums, bass, organ, piano, orchestra, etc). But I don't know much about it. What works with MTS? :?
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Just open a midi track and drop a vsti from the synth selection from the right hand panel into the first effect slot. A list of available synths should appear. You will have to define which vst folder you are using in preferences.
hth
I think it is in the manual somewhere :roll:
evon

Post by evon »

Doveman your songs sound professional, especially some of your vocal tracks. I see Saz has already answered your question.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=475605
doveman

Post by doveman »

evon wrote:Doveman your songs sound professional, especially some of your vocal tracks. I see Saz has already answered your question.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=475605
Most of the feedback I've gotten from people since I posted these cuts recently on the internet was ... mixed a bit too heavy with guitars and vocals ... kind of "in your face". Also, everyone seems to want more low end. Nobody really likes the MIDI sounds that I'm getting. That's probably all fair. Please feel free to add constructive comments ... even when negative it helps me get better.

I think the songs sound pretty good for a 3 year old $300 E-Machine PC with a stock sound card that can't play and record at the same time. I've been having to convert the MIDI files individually into WAV files with WAVMaker then mix them with live tracks.

I'm going to try to upgrade the PC and soundcard shortly ... but I personally like the simplicity of the MTS software. I haven't used all of the other software packages but I think MTS would fair pretty well.

:D
doveman

Post by doveman »

sinbad wrote:Just open a midi track and drop a vsti from the synth selection from the right hand panel into the first effect slot. A list of available synths should appear. You will have to define which vst folder you are using in preferences.
hth
I think it is in the manual somewhere :roll:
Thanks ... I will try this soon. :D
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

DM, one cool thing to do with midi is to download a good collection of free sound fonts from the net, and place then in the sampler here to get more realistic sounds. I have done this with some fairly nice results. Here is a nice site for freebies http://www.soundfonts.it/?a=soundfonts then get familiar with the sampler in MTS and all should sound very nice. I really like your work but agree that some of the midi track could use an upgrade. Rob.
doveman

Post by doveman »

Robomusic wrote:DM, one cool thing to do with midi is to download a good collection of free sound fonts from the net, and place then in the sampler here to get more realistic sounds. I have done this with some fairly nice results. Here is a nice site for freebies http://www.soundfonts.it/?a=soundfonts then get familiar with the sampler in MTS and all should sound very nice. I really like your work but agree that some of the midi track could use an upgrade. Rob.
Thanks ... this is the kind of help I'm looking for :D
doveman

Post by doveman »

Just a basic followup question ... forgive me ... I know nothing about VTSi.

If I have a MIDI file in a track location ... and I attach a VTSi to it in the slot ... what's it really doing. Say the MDA Piano (I think that was one suggested). Does it use the new VTSi rather than what the soundcard would normally use? The sounds and samples from the new program?

Also ... once you have it sounding like you want, do you have to convert it to a sound file OR can you play MIDI and record at the same time.

It looked like you had to convert them before you mastered.
Frusciante

Post by Frusciante »

Hello there,

Your definitely on your way to understanding how VST works.

If you recorded a midi file, whatever is opened in your first slot (instrument) will play. If it's a vst Instrument, the notes recorded will trigger the sounds in the VST plugin.

Remember, Midi data is only numbers. The VST plugin takes those numbers and plays what it received as data. for example you pressed the E3 note with a hard velocity. Midi data will say : note on : E3, Velocity:120, note-off. Something like that. The rest is up to your VST instrument to use the data and play that note. The same as the sampler. difference with the sampler is that the sampler plays a wav file that is associated with the E3. (it could be a different file type).

So you could open up a midi file of beethoven pathetic movement 2. You bring up a steinway piano on your sampler. OR, pull up a VST synth for example and it will play exactly the same notes, velocitys and timing, but with a techno ambient sound, or whatever you feel like hearing beethoven.
Frusciante

Post by Frusciante »

Oh I forgot your second question,

Basically you could record the midi track to another track with the master out button on at the top (and the record button on the second track)

Or you could simply save your midi file (just right-click on the name of the file on the left, and choose save as) and save it as a wav file. However, if you sidechained that track (or grouped it to make a sidechain compression for example) it might not record the way it sounds.

Thirdly, you could mix down a file with only the midi track on the "play" position, or all the other ones muted.