Input Monitoring

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
scottieboy

Input Monitoring

Post by scottieboy »

Is there a setting called input monitoring? I think I may need to turn that off in order to get Jamstix to work...

Thanks.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Input Monitoring may refer to the soundcard's software applet settings rather than settings in the host program.

For instance, some soundcards, like the Delta series comes to mind, there are many others, have a zero latency input monitoring feature, usually selected or deselected by a checkbox in their corresponding software applet.

HTH,

--Mac
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

What problems are you having with jamstix? -it works fine on my system. I haven't been using it lately as I am travelling at the moment but the issues I had were cleared up. There is a thead I started at the razoon forum which may be of use to you. Maybe the issues are still in the demo version of mts. I haven't had much progress with jamstix program itself, but that is because I'm too dumb to be a drummer :lol:
keep trying, and get the full version of mts, you wont regret it.
scottieboy

Post by scottieboy »

I'll give you the situation....

I setup my track and arm it to record. Jamstix also has something called audioM8 that utilizes an incoming signal to help generate the drum track as I play along. Anyway, I set the volume levels, and it all seems to get the signal when I play, BUT, when I start recording, the 'audioM8' plugin ceases to get my signal. I told all this to Ralph over at Rayzoon jamstix, and he says its probably an input monitor setting that needs to be turned and to ask you people how to do that.....

Hope you can understand my explanation. Thanks for you help!
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Hi,
here?s an excerpt from the mts help file about monitoring and sound cards, maybe that can shed some light on your problem. The audio8 module works fine for me, or at least appears to (the needle move with the music) I drop it in the audio track I feel has the best dynamics and put jamstix in a midi track, and that works. Maybe they have to be in the same directory as your other vst progs.
hth

Sound Card:
At minimum, a 16 bit/44.1kHz/stereo soundcard capable of full-duplex operation (i.e., simultaneous playback and recording) is needed for audio recording/playback. About any modern card will be capable of this.
For MIDI Recording using the Sampler or VSTi/DXi plugins a card with a (non-emulated) DirectSound driver or an ASIO driver is needed. On Windows 2000/XP systems DirectSound drivers tend to have a rather high latency, therefore an ASIO driver is recommended for MIDI softsynth recording on these systems. Tape Type Monitoring requires an ASIO driver.

Monitoring:
Monitoring means: hearing the track you're recording. The best way to achieve this is in hardware, as this doesn't introduce a delay.
Set up up monitoring using the WinSound driverset
If you're using the WinSound driverset you can access the soundcard's internal mixer using the Studio menu's Audio Output Control option. Turn up the Mic or Line input (the one you're using) so you can hear it. Note that more faders can be made visible using the Options menu's Properties window. Cheap or onboard soundcards typically support this.

Set up up monitoring using the AsioSound driverset:
If you're using the AsioSound driverset then you can use the soundcard's control panel (if available) to set up monitoring. Some soundcard have hardware knob to do this. Not all soundcards have monitoring features, in this case an analog mixer can be used if available.

Using Tape Type Monitoring:
Note: this option works with the Asiosound driverset only.
If this option is activated recording audio tracks will send the signal they're recording to the Audio Out Device after having applied any effects. This way effects (like Guitar Amp or Reverb) can be played "live".
It is not recommended to use this feature as a means of monitoring the signal you're recording, as there is an inherent latency between the input and the output signal. Using a low latency will increase the risk of glitches in the recordings. All these problems can be avoided by using the monitoring options mentioned above.