Midi Routing between tracks

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Frusciante

Midi Routing between tracks

Post by Frusciante »

Hello,

I'M pretty sure this can be done, however, I haven't seen any topic that tells you how to.

I use to record midi tracks with VST instruments or sampler. If i use the VST instrument, I record the notes I play. I could (if I had a third arm) play with my knobs on my midi controller to change some effects in real-time like cutoff and resonance. However, I DON'T HAVE A THIRD ARM.

So my question comes to this: How can I adapt my midi routing so that when I record track 2, the notes are being fed by the midi notes of track 1 previously recorded, so I can free up my hands and record my knob changing in real-time on track 2?

Can it be done?

thanks!

Also, How do I automate the knobs of MTS effects in REAL-TIME ? I know How to do it while NOT recording (right click on any desired knob), But how to do it WHILE recording?

Thanks again.
Mac

Post by Mac »

You don't have to be that complicated to add CCs or Sysex commands to an existing midi track, just arm the track to record Midi data while keeping and not overwriting the original data, and spin them knobs, recording the moves as the track plays back.

Like overdubbing in audio.

--Mac
Frusciante

Still not working

Post by Frusciante »

I think I'M missing something here.

I understand what you mean by "like overdubbing audio".

Unfortunately, if I want to record the knob motion, I need to put the track on "record". However, If i do that, all the midi notes are erased because it just records over all the midi data.

Instead of overdubbing, it just "records". Like putting the good old tape in a tape recorder and recording whatever it receives.

Is there a way to keep that midi data intact like you say?
Frusciante

Bumping

Post by Frusciante »

Sorry to bump this message up in the topic list.

Let me know if I should proceed differently.

I'm still in the dark about how to record my knob motions onto an already recorded midi track. How can I preserve the midi data without recording over it (so that I can record only the knob motion)?

Using MTS 4.2.
Frusciante

Post by Frusciante »

Okay, I think this can be done differently,

All I'll do is to downlaod another sequencer, and use midi yoke to transfer the data from the first sequencer into MTS in real-time.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Leave the original midi track as it is.

Create a new midi track.

Set it up to be on the same midi channel as the first track and record the other moves in realtime.

Play 'em back.

Both tracks will be addressing the same Midi Channel.

--Mac
Frusciante

Post by Frusciante »

DOHH!

that easy?

I'll try this tonight.