Irritating little problem

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

Irritating little problem

Post by Robomusic »

has popped up, when i open a new file with a full downloaded misi file in it, the buffer overrun box pops up and the system wont run, then the only thing that seems to help is to close and re-open, this takes a save and then on opening i have to direct each track to it's midi file then it will run.

I might add that when you open a pre existing midi file it automatically assigns a file number like song 10 or what ever. Then when i save i rename to the song title.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I've had this kind of thing happen when the downloaded Midi file is one of the "Midi Type 0" (zero) files where all the data for all the midi channels is on one track.

"Midi Type 1" is the multitracked Midi format.

Common confusion for the Compleat Midiot is remembering that Track Number is NOT Midi Channel number, too. Bites me almost weekly to this day. -- And I've been Midi sequencing since the 80s.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Don't exactly know if it is type 0 or type 1, i do know that it appears to be a multitrack fle as it can have the stream split in MTS.
Mac

Post by Mac »

It's been awhile, but I think MTS will try to selectively open up the Type 0 onto the separate tracks by the channel for you.

That's what I was trying to say, sometimes that dance might be a problem in a large file or something.

I wouldn't call it a bug in the code without first trying other downloaded midi files for awhile and see what they do. Often there could be something imbedded in a downloaded midi file that can make things go bump in the night -- and don't blame the midiot who made the file either, for it may have worked perfectly well with whatever stuff they used when creating the file. May even be some SYSEX or something in there that they HAD to use with their stuff.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I appreciate the input, but let me try to be a bit clearer as to exactly what happens.

I have a file on the hard drive that contains probably 200 midi file i have found on the net to make backing tracks, i have done quite a few of them over the last couple years, and am in the process of reworking a few and adding some new ones. i never had this problem until lately when there seems to be a change in the program that causes it to open a folder for each new project called something like song 8 or what ever. The process i use is to open a new file in MTS then in the track window i click open and browse for a midi file when i open it and add the samples and VSTi's it wont start it says it has overun the buffers, if I then close and save it to a new name it will open and run. I hope that explains the issue a bit better, in the long run it is still easier to do it this way than to fuss with other programs that take so much setup to get a midi file sounding nice.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Sounds like you may have a report for the MTS email hotline here...

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Yeah i might just drop an E-Mmie to Geil and see what he says, Thanks Macster!
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

The problem seems to be gone now, and Geil suggested checking what the MIDI out was I had checked Microsoft synth GS, and since i use ASIO that was not even an option, so i changed that to delta midi and it seems to be fine, once again great software and no problems