Drums EZDrummer vs Jamstix vs Acid

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
doveman

Drums EZDrummer vs Jamstix vs Acid

Post by doveman »

I know I'll probably be upgrading my PC to do any of these type programs but a few questions since I know several of you have used these:

1-I like the interface for EZDrummer a lot ... how does it work with MTS? I would imagine you could upgrade to BFD from this program?

2-I need more RAM to run Jamstix for sure ... but I've read that it can be TOO busy.

3-Acid Loops needs a program to organize the loops. Is there a best one to use with MTS? Is it a VST or VSTi that lives inside MTS?

4-Fruity loops ... what's the best program to organize these loops?

Generally speaking ... what works well with MTS 4.2? I love the simplicity and stability. Even on my low power machine, it works well.

:D
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

First open a new MIDI file track in MTS. Then set the song tempo to the same tempo as your loops (in BPM). After that, you can import your loops into audio tracks and use the snap to grid function. You can then cut and paste loops as you need. You can use the clips container in the shelf to store selected loops.

A good way to organize loops is to keep them in folders named according to BPM, or name each file according to BPM and style.

If you need to rename a whole bunch of files all at the same time, use Lupas Rename: http://rename.lupasfreeware.org/lupasrename.php

If you need to listen to a bunch of audio files and rename or move some of them you can use WaveBrowser: http://www.ucsoft.de/wbe.html
Mac

Post by Mac »

Man, get a copy of Acid, even an older version offa ebay or somewhere on the cheap will do the do for just drum loops.

You can audition whole hard drives fulla loops and then drag 'n drop 'em onto the timeline.

Then export the drums as one stereo wav track into MTS.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Mac's acid advise it great, just get the new copy of acid studio and let her rip.

I actually have really begun to love Jamstix, i learned how to make a basic track that has no crazys in it and now all is easy.
doveman

Post by doveman »

I've been looking at EZDrummer and Jamstix and like what I see in both. The Jamstix deal with a couple of drum sets, snare sets, looks like a pretty good deal to me ... and it's priced right.

Jamstix also appears to be able to use kits from BFD and DFH.

Can Jamstix stand alone? Is that how you are using it?
doveman

Post by doveman »

OK ... for better or worse ... I picked Jamstix and loaded it today. I may regret that after all of the input ... there are many good choices. But I was interested in:

- the "jamming" ability
- it runs as a VSTi ... not a separate program ... so it's a track in MTS
- a lot of tweaking potential ... but many choices can be made easily
- appears to use a little less RAM and need a little less speed than some others
- not sure the drums can sound as good as Acid, BFD or DFH but they can be used if I buy them too ... by Jamstix

I'll let you guys know ... cost me $109 ... so if it turns out to be "educational expense" it won't be too bad. :roll:
Mac

Post by Mac »

Well you know it will never be late to the gig and you won't have to put up with two ex-wives and a girlfriend fighting over it, either. :lol:

It will also keep time.

Enjoy,

--Mac
Mac

Post by Mac »

I remember the night our drummer was locked inside the band van with the keys.

Took almost an hour to get him out.

:D
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Drums made with Acid are as good as the samples used they can be outstanding and they can be bad, it just depends. DKFH and BFD are great but need a place to run Jamstix will run them just fine, i however am still happy as a clam with the Drumpac 1 and 2 that i bought with the system.

If you are doing midi drums then you can have JS "jam" with the track or mute the brain and have it follow.

If using audio track it can jam with any audio track. the crazys as i call them can be tamed by moving the complexity and funkiness sliders all the way to the left.
doveman

Post by doveman »

I read the manual yesterday and was very impressed with the way they dealt with setting up the "parameters" for each piece. It seemed very logical ... the way I would approach programming drums ... if I had the programming skill. If it works, it's genius.

It is too complex to master with one read ... but you can get the idea.

Of course, as soon as I loaded the software, I wanted to try something. I was lost as you might expect. :roll: I did pick up on the "funkiness" and "complexity" faders being key.

I did load up several tracks with effects and was able to run through the process to mastering without it crashing ... so I think I have enough memory.

I will try again today after reading the manual. I have a good feeling about this. :D
doveman

Post by doveman »

OK ... good news and bad news ...

Good news:
- I finished the first Jamstix / MTS 4.2 / M-Audio 2496 song
- It's meant to be a bit different on the drums ... kind of a different style ... but it's what I tried to do
- Jamstix worked good ... asked for "bluesy" and "brushy" ... gave me 12 styles ... I picked 3 & worked 'em

Bad news:
- Still not used to MTS 4.2 directory naming convention
- Wiped out my song headers when I saved the first mix
- I may be able to get it back but ... oh well ... I think it was a success even though I only got one mix

Here she is ... Take MeTo The River :lol:

My plan was to "feed" the bass part back to Jamstix and let you see what it would do on it's own ... not sure if that's possible due the file trashing issue ... just a dumb mistake ... not a program problem :roll:
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Very nice Dovey! i like the guitar work, and the drums were nice, a tad busy, but that is JS until you slowly learn the little tricks, just ask a ton of questions over at the JS forum and it will all start to clear up.
tmon

Post by tmon »

For the few people on this forum that might not have seen this, the Jamstix Group sale is ending soon (5/13/07):

http://www.rayzoon.com/groupbuy07.html