newb Question

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
seattlesonics34

newb Question

Post by seattlesonics34 »

How do you speed up or slow down the audio track and is there a way that you can make you voice higher or lower?
Thanks
Mac

Post by Mac »

In MultitrackStudio we have the VARISPEED control, which can increase or decrease speed and pitch simultaneously exactly like that control worked on the old analog tape decks. It affects both audio and midi tracks simultaneously. Cool. It also reads out in cents, which means you can change pitch by the half step and stay in tune with the A-440 easily if you so desire. See the MTS manual, page 11 for starters on that.

For changing speed without changing pitch or changing pitch without changing speed I prefer to use an external audio editing software.

Audacity.exe is free and can do the job, but it uses percentages of speed or pitch change readouts and thus you have to experiment to narrow it down and dial it in. Once done, you can export as a new wave track and re-import into MTS to continue working.

Fullblown loop/wave manipulation programs like ACID allow you to change the pitch but not the speed using the Circle of Fifths, choose the new key signature and BAM it is done. Ditto speed change without pitch change.

HTH,

--Mac
seattlesonics34

Thanks for the info. How do you open the song back in MT studio after using Audacity?
Thanks
seattlesonics34

never mind. you just export it as a wav.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

The results will vary, but you can use a VST effect plugin to change the pitch. Look for pitch shifters. They will change the pitch without changing the length of the WAV file. However, the more you change the pitch, the more distortion there is of the waveform timbre.

Here is a good one that I use a bit: http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/MadShifta/

It's described as a low-fidelity effect, but I have used it on instruments that needed minor corrections and it wasn't noticeable in the mix.