Picked up a few new toys

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

Picked up a few new toys

Post by Robomusic »

Over the weekend, my brother in law took me over to a house he bought to flip and make some cash on because ther ewas a bunch of old electronic crap in the garage. Most of it was just junk, but out of the pile I got a pair of Fostex 6103B Powered Monitors, nice for the descj and nice as a personal monitor for playing live. also there was a mike stand, and three computer motherboards, one has a chipo and fan on it, i an not sure what it is yet, but hope it is fast enough to build a samper box or something. There was also three Alesis micro effects in boxes, one microverb, one microenhancer, and one Microlimiter (softknee compressor/limiter). as far as i can tell the verb is dead, it powers up, but I get no verb out of it, the limiter seems to be fine, I send signal into it and it seems to stop the clipping if i over drive it a tad, i have not been able to turn up the stuff to see if it really works or not but will report back. The enhancer i have not figured out yet. Oh and i stopped by GC and found a nice used Yamaha MG12/4 mixer board for fairly cheap. All seems to work fine on it and it is very quiet. Might replace the old behringer, or just be used for playing accoustic stuff. I wonder if the little reverb could be repaired, or if not worth it?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Nice finds.

One never knows if a device is worth repairing until it is properly troubleshot.

If you are blessed, it may be something simple wrong with that nanoverb.

But don't put a lot of money into repairing it, either, check out what they are currently going for first, like on ebay, etc.

Even if its a dead horse, there are parts and such in it that are salvageable for use around the studio, jacks, knobs, hardware, etc. so don't toss it anywhere but the "junk box" in the closet.

Nanoverb is kind of dated for recording today, use of Impulse Response or good verb plugins has relegated the nanoverb to stage use and such, where it still can be a good tool.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Yeah i have plenty of great plugs for recording, but this was going to be added into my mixer for playing, I might open the box up and see if it has an obvious issue that might be resolved, but most likely it is now a part box tool. I just hope the little compressor still works, so far i have not been able to realy test it yet, any suggestions for a test to see what it does and doesn't do?

What's your opinion on the little fostex personal monitors?

Hey i figure that even the mike stand was a freebie so i can't go wrong. I also got a butt load of patch cords and two guitar cables out of the deal.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I have no firsthand experience with the fostex monitors.

But the price was right, no?

Like my brother-in-law, whose two favorite brands of beer are "Free" and "Free Lite"...

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Yeah that is ther truth for sure, I did hool then up to the aux outs on the Yamaha, and they sound very nice for the size, they will make nice little performance monitors.