How do I raise the volume of a track?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
sinbad

How do I raise the volume of a track?

Post by sinbad »

I need some more volume on a track so I just increased the volume of the track in a new song and mixed down to file. Nothing happened Surely the volume of the new track should be higher, but when I compare them in the same media player they are the same. Any ideas guys (and gals)?

I posted this over in audiominds before I realised we have our own forum for stuff like this :oops:
Mac

Post by Mac »

Drag the MTS compressor to the effects slot in that track and check it out, mess with the settings while listening.

You can also drag another instance of the Compressor to the Master bus, and you should. Set it for 1:1.5 or so for Mastering the overall output, "Mastering for 16 bit".

Volume Fader stuff just can only change the peaks of the file, not all the energy contained underneath that.

The Audio Compressor is a MUST to get to know and use with digital recording, get started.

--Mac
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Mac thanks for your input. I didn't want to use any effects like compressor or limiter as I have finished the mix, and although it's not as good as I would like, any more tweaking is likely to ruin it. I just wanted to add about three dB to give a track the same overall volume as two others on a cd. Although when I adjusted the volume level, it seemed much louder, when I mixed it and played it next to the original it seemed pretty much the same. I did look at the VU meters, but they are moving all the time so they wern't much help. I think I just overestimated the dB values I was using.
Anyway I tried it again and did the following test. One track loaded and the volume turned up full, (increase of about 5dB) mix to file. Load new track and repeat. Then I compared the two new tracks against the original in the same song at volume settings 0.0
Subjectively the results were not as marked as I had expected. The difference between the original and the second test track were definitely audible. The difference between two tracks however, was more apparent when switching from the loud version to the quiet version. I suppose that has something to do with the way our ears work, ( at least the way mine work :grin: ) I have to admit at this point that I am using cheap cans and not my monitors.
Although it works, the mixdown it isn't as loud as I expected it to be. Only when I really increase the volume to maximum, do I notice a marked increase on the mixdown file. I haven't got any measuring equipment so I can only report what my ears tell me. Decibels are a strange animal. It is an interesting phenomena, and I'll at least keep an eye on it in the future.
Mac

Post by Mac »

sinbad wrote: I just wanted to add about three dB to give a track the same overall volume as two others on a cd.
That is really what the Mastering strip Compressor is used for.

--Mac