What are your favorite VST's ?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
NystagmusE

What are your favorite VST's ?

Post by NystagmusE »

What are your favorite VST instruments and effects ?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Mr. Ray without a doubt.

--Mac
cidbil

Post by cidbil »

Yep Mr Ray!! I like Synth1 too.
Don't use many vst effects, as I'm finding the ones in MTS work just dandy for me. :D

Bill
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I hardly ever use any effects except the ones in MTS, and i use very few VST's mostly sound fonts and the sampler. i use PS fretted, and sampletank 2 free sometimes.
nickb2009

Fav VST & VSTi?

Post by nickb2009 »

Favourite VST?.......Personally I like that software house who seem to have decided to make their "top range" of VST's freeware to potential Windows VISTA users. The 14 day demo's (Full working versions) never ever start their countdown, and they make no mention in the T&C's about using the software after 14 days.....slight oversight on their part?......or a desire to donate $500 worth of vst's to those poor VISTA users :roll: (I will and have not given out the name of this company however, is it charitable to inform them about this issue?).

Favourite VST instruments?: Arturia's Moog Modular V and ARP2600V synths. A chance to relive the early, classic days of plugs, cables, detuned oscillators and raw waveforms, all mixed in with a mass of serendipity. Never sure you ever end up with the sound you intended to try to make, but get something a lot better. You also get to be Wendy Carlos in your spare time.

Should post this in the other section (apologies if in error); but whilst watching a show on the Paramount Comedy Channel and having the ARP2006V switched on, you had to make this:

http://www.myspace.com/newphoenix2007

All MTS/ARP2600V (ARP2600V Laughing chipmunks and chirping birds as intended).

Nick B
ravenmusic

Post by ravenmusic »

The effects in MTS are great but do like to use the free Classic Series by Kjaerhus Audio.

Of the VST synths the Moog Modular V has to be the tops , sometimes use Karma, Triangle 11 and SampleTank. Mr Tramp electric piano and NuBi Le draw bar organ are good, the organ and electric piano in MTS are good too.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Awhile back I had a project to do (money!) and decided to go all the way, dragged my old stretch tuned Suitcase Rhodes Dyno-My-Piano 88 with the rosewood hammers and four JBLs out of the closet, set it up, adjusted a few tines, etc. and then put the two matched mics in front of the cabinet, got my levels and proceeded to record my part of the project that way, channeling Ray as much as I could. Just a jingle.

Sounded great and it was wonderful to be "back in the saddle" again as it were.

The other "musicians" on the project immediately started suggesting the "better" VSTi's and gigasamples I should have used instead of the one I did.

So I elected not to tell 'em.

Of course.

:twisted:

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

That's pretty interesting and ironic, Mac.
Mac

Post by Mac »

The proliferation of home recording stuff has turned every other musician into a recording expert.

Full of catch phrases and a general lack of understanding of the physics behind the subject, of course.

What we hear is subjective.

Part of the fun.

Its all good.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

You mean to tell me that was not Edirol VSC for the Rhodes? :D
ravenmusic

Post by ravenmusic »

Mac, good point and interesting the comments about your experience with the recording of your Rhodes. If you have the real thing then why not use it. Musician friends with better trained ears than mine prefer to use ?real? instruments rather than the virtual variety, for many reasons.

It would be a dream come true to own one of those classic synths.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Well, I would never call the Rhodes piano a "synth".

It uses a real piano action with hammers that hit stainless steel "tines" -- which were originally fashioned from sewing machine needle blanks -- and each one has a small electromagnetic pickup much like a single coil guitar pickup that is focused at the end of the tine.

I've had that thing a looooong time, brother, since the late 70s, when there was really little else outside of the B3, Wurlitzer piano and Clavinet for keyboardists. Then along came the Helpinstill piano, which was a nice little portable upright but it didn't last, I think they all fell apart on the road. I still have my Yamaha 88 key portagrand, though. Thing about all that stuff is the weight, man. So I will typically use digital keyboards on live gigs these days, saving my vintage junk for the occasional big show or leasing when acts come to town.

I don't find a thing wrong with digital samples, VSTi's like Mr. Ray, etc.

Not when the keyboard controller is only about 40 lbs I don't. 8)

The B3 plus leslie cabinet tops 5-700lbs, man.

My back hurts now, just from talkin' about it.

And to think, when I was younger I didn't mind luggin' all that crap to a bar gig, PLUS a couple guitars and an amp or two to boot.

Keyword there is "young".

--Mac
tmon

Post by tmon »

A late friend had a "suitcase" Rhodes we used to haul around gig to gig back in the early 80's. I remember having to help get that thing up a flight of what seemed like a hundred stairs straight up once (I was on the bottom side, too). Yeah man, those things were heavy. No way I would do that kind of work today. I'm lucky enough to have survived the hard labor of those years past.

I wonder if Chick Corea still has that one he had with the "modified" sound?
ravenmusic

Post by ravenmusic »

True enough Mac a rhodes is not a synth.

I came into home recording late in life only a few years ago. I play guitar and sing a bit but when I discovered midi I thought woweee and wished I had discovered this stuff when I was a bit younger. I like virtual instruments for its unlimited scope for creativity, and some great sounding stuff can be produced. But with age nostalgia rears its sweet little head sometimes.