wav files

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Sween

wav files

Post by Sween »

I am having trouble with song files previously recorded with protools. I pick the track and try to play it, but there is a red x next to the file name. Does anyone know what I can do to play the wav files?
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

If I remember correctly, the files have to be 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit, or 32 bit float. Mono or stereo. It's possible that the pro tools files are in 20 bit or 24 bit float or something like that. I imagine it's also possible that the pro tools files are multichannel files instead of mono or stereo.

Well, I'm just guessing.

It's also possible that pro tools writes wave files in an unstandard way. sometimes programs will add their own special data to audio files but it will make them unplayable in other programs.

On way around this is to open up the file in an editor program and save a new copy of it in a standard compatible format. Usually editor programs ignore the extra file data when making the copy.

Contact MultitrackStudio Support. They will know what to do.
Sween

Post by Sween »

thanks. I'll try that. Which editor program do you recommend?
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

I use CoolEdit 2000 since it can open up a lot of formats, but a lot of people like Audacity since it is freeware. CoolEdit 2000 comes in a demo form that is still usable, but has limited features.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
http://www.mpex.net/en/software/download/cooledit.html

CoolEdit 2000 is old, so you might have to google for a valid link.
Sween

Post by Sween »

Well, you would never believe what happened. I used a program called wave pad and I got the first track and got to hear it. Then I tried to get more than 2 and it wouldn't play them all. I don't even have the volume, mute, solo options.
I just wanna be able to use MS to mix the tracks, and I am having the hardest time. UGH!
Mac

Post by Mac »

Do you have separated .wav tracks exported from the Protools session or are you attempting to load a Protools formatted multitrack session?

The latter won't load in anything but Protools. But it might yield up the first track like that.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

email support@multitrackStudio.com
they will know what the issue is.
Support

Post by Support »

MultitrackStudio versions older than 4.2 can't read BWAV (broadcast wav) files. AFAIK Pro Tools typically uses BWAV files by default.

Furthermore MultitrackStudio Lite and Professional can load 16 bit files only. You'll need Pro Plus to load higher quality files.
Sween wrote:I don't even have the volume, mute, solo options.
The mixer is turned off. Go to the Song menu's Settings window and turn it on again.
Sween

Post by Sween »

Hey Mac. I have separated .wav files from the protools session. It is just really frustrating because I don't know what I am doing wrong!
Mac

Post by Mac »

Support always knows whats up.

If your .wav files are a different type like that and you don't have ver.4.2 of MTS, either upgrade time or perhaps you could open the files one at a time in an audio editor software like the free Audacity and convert them, then save as a format that your version of MTS can import.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

If you are having trouble finding an editor that can open ProTool's broadcast wav files, here is an alternative.

Go back to the pro tools project, and render each track as an AIFF (.AIF) file instead of .WAV

Here is Cool Edit 2000: http://files.brothersoft.com/ce2kmain.zip
Since it is a demo, you have to choose the functions you want to be able to use before the program loads fully. If file conversion and saving is on the menu, choose those.

Then open up the AIFF's in Cool Edit 2000 and save them as .WAV files.

You many need to convert the files down to 16 bit before you save them depending upon the version of MTS that you have. MTS Pro Plus can open 24 bit files.

The resolution of the file will be displayed in the center at the bottom of the window in Cool Edit.

There are some different options for saving the .WAV files. Choose Windows PCM .WAV. Ignore the huge list of other formats such as ADPCM or whatever. If you have MTS Pro Plus, choose 24 bit int or 32 bit int in the Save As... menu.

Cool Edit's default 32 bit format is incompatible with MTS (and many other programs). Use the built in help about file formats to help you differentiate between the file formats if you need to. It's abstract and technical, but it does describe the differences.

I hope this helps you out. I know that Cool Edit 2000 can do this because I've used it many times with .WAV's and AIFF's.
Sween

Post by Sween »

I have an old version (3.1) of MTS that only does 16 bit from what I recall. Is there an option on Cooledit that can make them 16 bit?
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Yes, Cool Edit 2000 can convert bit resolutions (16, 24, 32, etc) and sampling rates (up to 96kHz)
Sween

Post by Sween »

Hmmm....I only saw 32 and 24 bit options. I am not that gifted when it comes to that.......sorry.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Sween wrote:Hmmm....I only saw 32 and 24 bit options. I am not that gifted when it comes to that.......sorry.
I forget which menu it is in, but sample conversion is an option for an open file. (It's not in the save as... window). There is also an icon for it. You could search for it using the built-in help, or just browse the menus until you find it.

I will have a look at my copy later on and try and let you know where it is.