More help please with midi percussion

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
noisyplanet

More help please with midi percussion

Post by noisyplanet »

yes, more help needed please (i'm very grateful).
Having moved all MTS stuff to new pc, I have two remaining issues:

1. One song i have includes a midi drum track i basically stole from another song (losing my religion, on free midi download site) then edited within MTS to fit my song, extra rolls cowbells etc. Since transferring it over to new p.c its out of sync with the rest of the recording, (about 8 tracks of guitars and vocals, which are all in sync) The strange thing is when you look at all the tracks via the edit window, the percussion positions all seem acurate and spot on, just the sound of the midi track seems to be lagging behind the rest. can anyone help on this one?

2. The afore mentioned drum track wont 'master' as a wav, when i try to master the track on either pc no sound is recorded, ive tried all the obvious, but i've never really dabbled with midi much, I basically used the 'd' view to add more percussion click by click, sounds great but i need to add effects and mix it down with the rest of the song. Any help appreciated.

thanks
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

That's latency :( It's because it takes time for the midi notes to become audible via your sampler/VSTI or whatever. It all depends on what minimum latency your soundcard can come up with, and how fast your system is, if you're using an external sampler. If you're using asio driversets, then you have to set it on your soundcard, if you are using windows drivers then I think you can set them in MTS Devices etc...
The trick is to wind the latency down until it starts to cause problems and then back up a bit. It is mainly trial and error, but if you get down to about 10-15 mSecs you should be on the right track. Post your equipment, maybe someone can give you some ideas.
HTH
Mac

Post by Mac »

Check what you have selected for use as the Midi Synth on the new machine.

If it is the Microsoft Midi Synth, that is most likely the problem.

The Microsoft Software Midi Synth has notoriously long latency time, because it takes the CPU time to make each sound -- it was not designed for music making like we do, but for having a midi synth there for the casual PC user so they can play back midi files from the web and the like. That kind of use does not need low latency because there is nothing else to sync up to and the user doesn't know that the midi "note-on" data happened up to a half second before they hear the sound.

What were you using for Midi Synth or Sampler on the old machine?

The MTS sampler is dynamite, BTW.

--Mac