Hi, I'm new to MIDI and everything and have a few q's

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

One difference between MTS and some older MIDI-only sequencers is that with many old MIDI-only sequencers there are multiple tracks, each of which can record a MIDI stream. The combination of those tracks of streams is combined into a single MIDI file.

It seems that MTS records each MIDI track to a separate MIDI file. I think in order to get a single file in MTS, you'd have to copy and paste-merge each MIDI track into a single common destination track, and then save the resulting mixture.

Another difference between MTS and other sequencers is the continuous controller data that is automatically inserted into the beginning of each MIDI track by MTS. Other MIDI sequencers I have encountered don't do this.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each situation.
Ackers

Post by Ackers »

You guys are really boggling my mind!
Mac

Post by Mac »

MrHope wrote:One difference between MTS and some older MIDI-only sequencers is that with many old MIDI-only sequencers there are multiple tracks, each of which can record a MIDI stream. The combination of those tracks of streams is combined into a single MIDI file.

It seems that MTS records each MIDI track to a separate MIDI file. I think in order to get a single file in MTS, you'd have to copy and paste-merge each MIDI track into a single common destination track, and then save the resulting mixture.
Ah.

Yes, I wish that MTS could save Midi files in the standard "Midi Type 0" or "Midi Type 1" formats. All of my other sequencers let me specify that when choosing to Export as Midi File (or in one case they call it "Save as Midi File".

For those who are wondering, "Midi Type 0" files contain all data on one track, typically used for web playback and such, sometimes used as a cheap means of file protection by some Midiots for it is awful hard to open their file and view it as Multiple Separated tracks when saved this way, but not impossible if your sequencer has a good data filter and you know how to use it (grin).

Midi Type 1 saves as multiple tracks and opens as such in most sequencers.
Another difference between MTS and other sequencers is the continuous controller data that is automatically inserted into the beginning of each MIDI track by MTS. Other MIDI sequencers I have encountered don't do this.
I'll have to take a look for that here. Never noticed it. Do you know what those CC's are and how many?
There are advantages and disadvantages to each situation.
Always.

Which is why I stopped looking for one single software solution eons ago. I tend to use the program that does the task needed at the time anyway. Sometimes means a lot of track exporting and importing, etc. and when the whole thing is a large Midi sequence I still will reach for one of the older sequencers with a mature and robust Midi engine that is full featured, Cakewalk, Powertracks Pro, Protools, etc. -- But that is typically when I'm tasked with a full orchestration or the like, for a rhythm section, etc. I can import a midi generated by BIAB or myself into MTS and take it from there with the Audio Tracks. Usually.

One thing that MTS can do that no other proggie I have will do involves the MTS SAMPLER. Wow, it converts Soundfonts, Gigasamples, even .wav samples from Acid Loop disks and let's me fire 'em from the keyboard!

I'll have to look into this insertion of CC's thang.

Meanwhile, maybe Geils will see this and we'll be pleasantly surprised with a way to export true .mid file extensions, choosing Type 0 or Type 1...

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

The continuous controller (CC) messages can be seen by recording a MIDI file with MTS, then quitting MTS, next loading the MIDI file into Jazz++ (or a MIDI file analysis program) for examining. The MIDI file can be examined (or edited) by using the MIDI event list editor.

I'm not at my music computer right now so I can't tell you the specifics yet. I will do it a bit later and list the CC messages and their names.

Incidentally files recorded by Jazz++ have undocumented SystemExclusive data inserted at the beginning of them.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

OK I created and checked some blank MIDI files and recorded some new ones. MultitrackStudio Pro Plus adds the following continuous controllers to the start of the first bar on the first track on the first channel:

7 value 100 = main volume
10 value 64 = pan (at 50%, L 50% R)
74 value 64 = ?
91 value 0 = reverb depth
93 value 0 = chorus depth

*values are from 0 to 127.

Incidentally, I discovered that the freeware program Quartz also adds continuous controller data to the beginning of MIDI files in the same manner, except less stuff and with a slight difference in volume data:

7 value 127 = main volume (at full blast)
10 value 64 = pan (at 50% L, 50% R)

Does anybody know what CC 74 is? I'm guessing it's detune maybe.
Mac

Post by Mac »

MrHope wrote:
7 value 100 = main volume
10 value 64 = pan (at 50%, L 50% R)
74 value 64 = ?
91 value 0 = reverb depth
93 value 0 = chorus depth
CC74 is a Brightness/Cutoff value in the GM standard subset.

*values are from 0 to 127.
0 - 127 is the Yamaha XG General Midi.

1 - 128 is the "Roland" standard and is used by many more synths than the XG numbering system.

It dates way back to a Japanese tradition thing of starting to count at zero...

But not to fear, for the XG patch 000 corresponds to the Roland patch 001 so they are both the Grand Piano in either bank. And XG is just really Yamaha's way of saying "GM" -- other than that weird numbering convention.

Many people who open a downloaded Midi file and find the instruments to be playing not to their liking should see if the file is a "one off" from their chosen Midi synth. A file made for the XG synth but played on the GM, or vice verse, will have all patches one away from where they should be on the patch list. Drums playing as piano is sometimes a clue, sometimes not.
Incidentally, I discovered that the freeware program Quartz also adds continuous controller data to the beginning of MIDI files in the same manner, except less stuff and with a slight difference in volume data:

7 value 127 = main volume (at full blast)
10 value 64 = pan (at 50% L, 50% R)
Every midi program I have will insert the beginning info at the head of the file. In my setup, I have things such that that info is taken from my midi keyboards and midi guitar when recording, otherwise it may be what was left there from a previous session, or if you import a midi file, it may be taken from there. My CC7s, for instance, come from the setting on one of the sliders on my midi keyboard controllers. I also have CC11 invoked, for the Expression pedal. And so on.

It is important to understand why they are called "CCs" -- Stands for "Continuous Controller" -- which means that these things are in constant flux when in the Midi Input from controller state, change the keyboard or guitar's CC and the value being sent to the sequencer changes immediately.

MTS did NOT insert those. Well, not of its own volition. MTS will go ahead and put those at the beginning of the file because all Midi has to have a place to start. If you are recording and move any CC controller during the recording, MTS will dutifully record those moves at that place on the track, too.

If you didn't have the Main VOL and PAN CCs at a minimum and your midi synth was last left at CC7 = 0, then you wouldn't be able to hear anything when you tried to play back the file and you would be scratching your head.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Hmm thanks Mac.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Ackers wrote:You guys are really boggling my mind!
Sorry about that.
I hope that your original question got answered or your problem remedied.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Ah, it turns out MultitrackStudio does have a MIDI merge tool.
http://www.multitrackstudio.com/tools.php
This could be used to mixdown the MIDI tracks to a single file.
Nice.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Never tried the merge tool, but it sounds like it will make a Midi type 1 file.

Maybe there's an option in there to make a Type 0 too, dunno.

Good to know, thanks.

I don't publish my Midi files anymore, because they will get played back on all sorts of synths that sound like poo. So I always convert to audio or mp3, etc. -- that way everybody hears what I heard.

--Mac