Recording Jamstix2 midi out

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
sinbad

Recording Jamstix2 midi out

Post by sinbad »

Can anybody here tell me how to set up mts and jamstix so that I can record the midi output of jamstix?
tmon

Post by tmon »

Sorry, I haven't tried it yet. Maybe someone else here? I wonder how many Jamstix 2/MTS users there are now?

I take it the manual instructions have not been adequate in this regard? Maybe I'll get to mucking with this task this week....I'm still trying to get the thing to start jamming at the proper time relative to a previously-created MIDI bass track.....

For our reference, here is what the Jamstix 2 manual says:

13 MIDI Output

13.1 MIDI output to host

Jamstix sends all its notes to its MIDI output so that you can record or route the data in your host (if supported by the host). For example, you can record the data to a MIDI track, set Jamstix to ?Drum Module Mode? (with Map GM unchecked) and then feed the MIDI data back to Jamstix (or some other drum module) for playback.

You can also route the MIDI data to another drum module in real-time instead of sub-hosting it. This can be beneficial if your drum module has multiple mixed mono/stereo outputs, for example. Jamstix 2 has a special ?MIDI Only? mode (in the mixer screen) for this scenario where neither internal sounds nor a sub-hosted plugin are loaded from kit files but the MIDI output is in the format of the kit file.

13.2 MIDI Drag-&-Drop

You can also drag and drop from Jamstix 2 to your host (where supported) to get MIDI patterns of the whole song, a part or a bar.

Drag the ?SONG? label in the song sheet to get a clip of the whole song, drag a part name to get a clip of that part or drag a bar icon in the timeline to get a clip of just that bar.

Note that you must have played the song, part or bar at least once before using drag-&-drop or you may end up with empty or partial bars. Rearranging the part order will reset the MIDI export buffer.

Support

Post by Support »

MultitrackStudio can't record the MIDI output of a VST plugin. The "13.2 MIDI Drag-&-Drop" trick should work in MTS 4.3 though. It works with EZDrummer, please post here if any of you succeeds in doing this with Jamstix. It shouldn't be a problem (in theory that is :wink: ).

You'll probably want to turn on gridsnap, so the MIDI data will snap to the start of the song. You're supposed to drop it on a track's MIDI editor, at the start of the song.

Giel Bremmers
Mac

Post by Mac »

Can the Midi output of a VST plugin be sent to the physical Midi Out port?
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Hey guys,
I have jamstix 2 unfortunately I haven't had a chance to mix down anything yet as I'm still going through the manual and learning how it works, but with the previous version of jamstix I could mixdown offline or record master without doing any special routing. What I find funny is that Giel says MTS can't record VST plug-in :? and I did with jamstix 1. I will be in my studio all day tomorrow and I'll try again and give details on what is routed to what then.

MTS can't record VST plug-in :? hummmmm...?
Support

Post by Support »

Andr? Giroux wrote:MTS can't record VST plug-in :? hummmmm...?
You can of course record a VST plugin's audio output. Sinbad wants to record the MIDI output (not the audio output), so you can have the drum part in a MIDI track and edit the notes.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

I miss understood the post sorry about that. It must be my french playing tricks on me. :twisted:
Mac

Post by Mac »

Support:

Do you know if a VST midi output data stream can be directed to the physical Midi Output port in MTS?

Am thinking that if this can happen, a single Midi cable from physical output to physical input could allow recording of Midi data to a track...

OR -- has anybody with Jamstix tried Hubi's Loopback or Midi Yoke on the thing?

--Mac
Support

Post by Support »

Mac wrote:Do you know if a VST midi output data stream can be directed to the physical Midi Output port in MTS?
They could send MIDI to a MIDI output port without MTS knowing, but there'd almost certainly be sync issues.

But since you apparently can drag the data from the Jamstix 2 window to a MTS editor there's no problem AFAIKS. Play back the track and then drag the stuff from the Jamstix " ?SONG? label in the song sheet" to a MTS MIDI track editor. Isn't any more difficult than recording the MIDI output would be.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

One thing i noticed in MTS is that while it plays nice with jamstix (JS1) it does not handle it nearly as well as Cakewalk does. with MTS the changes and adjustments in JS seem to go pattially un noticed where as in cake JS seems to be very adjustable. I guess what i mean is any small adjustments to the jam process like complexity and funkiness features or other similar features do not respond as much in MTS. or maybe i am losing my mind.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I cant find anything in the song to drag and drop :?
I'm at hotfix 2.0.11 and it seems to be running ok. Whatever you do go to your download page and get the latest hotfix.
Atthe moment it seems to be 1 beat out compared to my track. I thought that if I could somehow export or record the midi output then I could synchronise things better. I know I am doing things arse about face trying to line up the drums after the song is finished, but it's the only way now :lol:
I am quite impressed by js2, it's fun to use. I'l try the rayzoon forum when I get time, maybe someone there has an idea.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

I'm also at hotfix 2.0.11 and I'm getting major crashes (not so smooth)
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

support at rayzoon has sent me a new hot fix 2.0.11c for jamstix and everything seems to be fine and running smooth with MTS.
tmon

Post by tmon »

Sinbad,

I'm out of sync with my Jamstix 2 and MTS tracks too, so either there is a problem or we share mutual lameness in our Jamstix 2 skills.

;)
Mac

Post by Mac »

When an entire track is out of sync with the rest, try highlighting the track in the editor (select all) and sliding it either direction on the timeline to fit.

Opening the track editor of say, the bass track, will allow you to have a visual guide of when the bass starts to line up on.

--Mac