MTS - Moog Modular V and Korg Legacy M1 "Softsynths&quo

Post links to songs you recorded using MultitrackStudio.
nickb2009

MTS - Moog Modular V and Korg Legacy M1 "Softsynths&quo

Post by nickb2009 »

Two different requirements in these recordings:

(1) Heavy bass, rhythmic drive on classical pieces using Arturia's Moog Modular V softsynth.

Cantilena http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/cantilena2007b.mp3
Tune For A Found Harmonium http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/jeffes2.mp3
F Minor Concerto http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/fminor2007.mp3
Canon http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/canon2007.mp3

(2) More realistic, orchestral feel using Korg Legacy M1 softsynth

New World Symphony http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/newworld2007b.mp3
Largo http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/largo.mp3
Fanfare http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/euro2007.mp3 - A opening trumpet blast that should send shivers down the spine of "European" music lovers :shock: :shock:

[/url]
Mac

Post by Mac »

nickb!

Good sequencing all around.

That Arturia has more of the Moog "analog" sound than others I've heard, love the Moog filters you've invoked.

Um, the F Minor Concerto is in G minor? (grin)

I like "Found Harmonium" best out of the first four.

But at this point in the thing, I think I might like to travel back through time and kill Pachelbel... That's not your fault, it is the fault of all the guitar players and, of course, the wedding gigs. :shock:

Good job on the Dvorak. Hey, that's a very good woodwind section in the M1, may have to take a look at that thing now. Would sound great on the MidsummerNachtstrum, eh?

Good orchestral on the Largo, too. I'd like to hear that flute mixed back with the strings, though and not separated channel to channel like that -- hit my "mono" button on the amp hear and its a little more like an orchestra in a hall might sound if the flute weren't close mic'd. Of course, with today's studio engineers close mic'ing and tracking orchestras, this is what it now sounds like on a lot of recordings. Just doesn't sound like the philharmonic in the good hall, which is what I like most.

I'm a trumpet player first and foremost. Classically trained, then branched out into jazz during my university years. That is indeed a good trumpet sound you've got there, reminiscent of the great classical players of the 50s and 60s era, not just in Europe either, but there mostly. It is hard to find a good trumpet patch like this one. You've got a much better and more realistic mix going on with this one. The trills sound realistic, too.

Good job!

Thanks for sharing these.

--Mac
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

Just plain goood . . . nuff said . . .
:D

Cheers,

Mike
nickb2009

Post by nickb2009 »

Hi Mac and Mike....

Thanks for all of your comments :D

I love Arturia's Moog Modular V. I know a lot of people get into debates about how close to the original it is, but just being available in any form like this piece of software does for me. A great softsynth for accidentally coming up with new and unique timbres.

"Um, the F Minor Concerto is in G minor?".....BLIMEY....Is it? I bow to your musical hearing skills. I'm afraid coming from the self-taught, play-by-ear school, I wouldn't know a F minor or G Minor if it hit me in the face. Anyway, Sir Thomas Beecham summed it up best when he said "The English don't care much for music, they just like the way it sounds"

"Pachabel"......I know, I have the same problems at weddings with Bach's Chorale. Now if only Pachabel had wrote another tune.....

"Found Harmonium".....Isn't this piece much loved by the folk community? I remember in a interview with Simon Jeffes the exact reason for him writing this piece.

"Largo".....I suppose I should have posted the original version rather than the split. We did this piece for a small video montage showing scenes from the nearby Dartmoor National Park, and the images were the "miiddle" of this panoramic recording.

Original MP3 http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/largo2f.mp3

Video http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/devonlargo2007.wmv

"Korg Legacy M1".....Most people I speak to seem to enthuse about the Korg Legacy Wavestation more. But I like the M1 "softsynth". The woodwind section is great, as well as the strings and brass. Married with the MDE-X effects unit that comes with the bundle, it is worth checking out. The price still seems amazingly low.

"Would sound great on the MidsummerNachtstrum, eh? "....Don't know the piece but will check it out.

MAC....Interesting to read about your musical training. Being a keyboard player only I never understood the subtleties in playing instruments in the brass and woodwind sections. The whole breath control, lip control, etc. always baffled me. I always thought "synth" players struggle to get these things near anything right.....We recorded that piece for a small film clip about European architecture. I started to listen to pre-Handel trumpet works, mainly French and Italian composers. A great fan now of the style of playing. Great energy. Although was there a significant difference in the design of these Baroque trumpets as compared to modern ones?

The trumpet sound we used was one of the Korg M1's (I shall check again which one). We used MTS's "doubler" and "exciter" effects and the Korg MDE-X "reverb", "multi-band compressor", "4 Band EQ (adding more treble) and "chorus" effects.

Thanks again.....

Nick B
Mac

Post by Mac »

nickb2009 wrote:Although was there a significant difference in the design of these Baroque trumpets as compared to modern ones?
Most definitely.

Don't forget that up until about the time of Bach's middle age, the equal temperament scale did not really get much use. Pythagorean and then Just Intonation ruled the roost.

This meant that key changes "on the fly" could not be done in pieces.

The original "trumpets" were more like bugles, without valves and later on would have HOLES drilled in key places to allow for a bit of note changing, working much like clarinets or other woodwinds in that regard, I shudder to think about the tonality and temperament of such (grin).

The modern piston valve trumpet is predated by the rotary valve trumpet, too, which used the same kind of flat rotary valves controlled by lever keys that the modern French Horn still uses. The rotary trumpet is still used by the famous Vienna Symphony today, one brand is called the "Henckel" rotary trumpet. These have what I would describe as a mellower sound than the modern piston trumpet.

When discussing the kind of trumpet musics you are emulating, we must also know that the common Bb trumpet of modern times is not typically the instrument of choice for playing these either. The C trumpet, built exactly like the Bb piston trumpet only slightly smaller, is usually the horn used today, but not always.

Back when these baroque and classical pieces were written, to name it the "Trumpet Concerto in Eb" meant a lot more than just the key signature -- it also meant that the trumpet player was supposed to play the piece on an Eb trumpet! This would be a horn that open blows Eb as the root note rather than Bb.

Trumpet in F, D, C, Eb and A were most common "back then".

Today, the use of equal temperament allows the modern trumpet player to play any of these on the same horn -- and with a brightness that the original composers probably never heard nor envisioned.

Your synth patch emulates the sound of the modern trumpet playing these pieces, which is a good thing IMO. Sounds like a C Trumpet, incidentally.

--Mac
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

The video was great! The sound, video execution, quality of the photographs and timing worked rather well . . . to the point that I could not stop until the very end. . . and then once more. Continue!

Good show!!!

Cheers,

Mike
Mac

Post by Mac »

For nickb2009:

Written by Felix Mendelssohn, "A Midsummer Night's Dream" was a musical to accompany drama based on William Shakespeare's play of the same name.

Midsummer Night's Dream also featured the now famous "Wedding March" which has played as the bride and groom emerge from the church in many western marriage ceremonies, it has become the de facto song for that.

But it is the Scherzo from Midsummer that I was referring to, I think your synth work would do it justice, always imagined what a Moog extravaganza would be like with this one.

Found an old Midi I made of it way back in '95 or so, it sounds dated by today's synth standards:

http://www.audiominds.com/cam/SCHERZO_M ... ELSOHN.mp3

Just so you know what I was talking about...

--Mac
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Hey nickb2009,

I don't know to much about synth but I do know when something is well done. Good job man.
Andr
Mac

Post by Mac »

Well done indeed!

:!:
nickb2009

Post by nickb2009 »

"Trumpets" :shock: :shock: Thanks Mac. You have increased my knowledge of these instruments by about 10000%. I didn't know there was such a diverse nature to them. Even more impressed now how anyone uses them.......Did you ever make any recordings of your playing yourself?

"Largo video".....Thanks Mike. Dartmoor National Park is only a couple of miles away from us. A bit like Bach's Largo, it changes it's nature so much (You get all 4 seasons in one day :D ) From a personal perspective I find working on film/video music there is always that one pivotal image/musical moment that seems to resolve the whole feel. In this case about 1.36 minutes in when the bright sun appears in the sky and the key change goes all positive sounding (not too arty sounding there :?: ). Strange thing with Bach's Largo, I've never heard two versions in any way the same. Everyone chops and changes it. Almost with a hatchet. We did.....

Thanks Andre. Nice to have any work appreciated. I'm glad that MTS works so well with the range of softsynths we use. Stable as a heavy rock....

For Mac......I don't think your version of the scherzo is any way "dated". It's sounding very impressive here. PHEW.....That would be some piece to do using the Moog Modular V system.....SWEATING BROW.....and would make a complete change from the usual Bach, Handel, Beethoven works you always hear. Do you have the relevent MIDI files available? I'm going to closely listen to this more to gain a feel for it and see if we can make a modest stab at it.

Thanks to all...

Nick B
nickb2009

Post by nickb2009 »

Strangely......

In keeping with this threads theme of Moogs, annoying repeating melodies and trumpet fanfares, we were working today on the opening music for another film project, but this was useful in showing how useful Arturia's Moog Modular V is when it comes to producing sound effects. Although originally planned to use real recorded sounds for the wind, rain and thunder for the mother-of-all-storms, we did it "electronically" instead. And as for Pachebel the remit for this project is ultra-minimalist appegiating and simple electronic fanfare.....

http://www.brickell.biz/music2007/isotope8ex.mp3 (excerpt)

Now all we need is a 4 minute repeating melody with a J M Jarre "euro" feel for the closing credits :?
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

I took a look at the moog VST. I think I'll leave this one to you guys. Just as I remembered . . . too many wires, knobs, switches, and slide pots.

One thing I can for sure say. You have brought back some sounds I have long forgot. I was once told, "If there's a sound, the Moog can repoduce it". Have you played an original Moog?

Cheers,

Mike
Mac

Post by Mac »

I still have my original Mini Moog, which occasionally still makes it to a jazz gig, on top of the B3, "where one belongs" (smile).

Back in my first goround with university, music school, applied trumpet, minor in piano and composition, we had a full Studio Moog with patchcords at our disposal occasionally in the late 60s synthesis class. I signed up because they had a 16 track Studer Revox in that room, though. Got in lots of trubble for wanting to record my Stratocaster more than anything else, heh.

But that was long ago, I learned that I was really an electronics engineer type at heart and had to let music take more of a backseat to that in the intervening years. Good thing for my family, looking back, I don't think we would have enjoyed the few comforts we do have if I had elected to be a working musician fulltime. My little brother is still a working musician, he sits the lead chair sax in the Count Basie Orchestra:

http://www.marshallmcdonald.com Still touring the world.

I was the only kid at the music school who took a screwdriver to the panels on the Studio Moog to see what was underneath... Yeah, got in trubble with the powers that be over that move, too. But I modified it for better frequency control because the original power supply regulation sucked. Then they let me have full access to everything in that classroom, I ended up with a key to the place on my keyring and they actually called it a student job.

I have a few recordings of my trumpet playing (classical) from back then, the Haydn Trumpet Concerto in Eb with a full orchestra, its on vinyl, been meaning to get around to trying to digitize that, maybe an mp3 will show up. My voice, trumpet, keyboards and guitar have been heard on radio and TV jingles and commercials for too long to think about. Found out it was a way to keep my musical hand in there while working the day job at electronics design. Nothing to write home about, but mostly fun with a little money coming in once in a while. For a few years I ran a music house, industrial, in Pittsburgh, PA, had a 16 track and two Macs and a PC goin'. Don't miss it at all, actually. The fun went away when the ownership, contracts, lawyers, taxes, bidness permits and payroll checks kicked in.

--Mac
nickb2009

Post by nickb2009 »

Hi Mike.........Moog Modular V......I think this must be THE vst for those people with a fetish for old telephone exchanges. All those sockets and jacks :D Interestingly I think Arturia have won on the psychological front, you do tend to think as if you were back in the early synth pioneering days. Although I was more a fan of ARP's synths than the Moogs.

For Mac......Thanks for all the information on your background. It is interesting to hear what other users of MTS are about and their experiences. I shall value your opinions and advice even more in the future.

"Count Basie Orchestra".....BLIMEY.....That's impressive. Must take some skills to reach that level....thanks for the website URL. I shall watch the TV listings for any performances.

It would be interesting if you ever got any MP3's of your work.

MiniMoog......Does it really go out of tune when someone opens the door. Or is this one of those urban myths?....Nice real fat oscillators I bet.

Deja Vu :?: .....Encountered 2 performances today of 2 of those pieces in this thread. A brilliant trumpet performance of that fanfare featured on "The Last Night Of The Proms". Not sure what type of trumpet though. But earlier a 13 minute looped rendition of Pachabel's Canon whilst on hold on the telephone. Any chance of me joining you in the assasination of Pachebel?

Nick B
Mac

Post by Mac »

MiniMoog......Does it really go out of tune when someone opens the door. Or is this one of those urban myths?....Nice real fat oscillators I bet.
Stock, original Minis do have that same voltage regulation problem that I first solved in the univeristy's studio moog.

My Mini Moog, of course, doesn't suffer from the problem because the first mod I made on it was to replace the original voltage regulation circuit with my precision laboratory grade regulators. I can actually leave mine sit for weeks and turn it on, it will still be dead on the pitch I left it if nobody has touched any knobs.

There are plenty of mods for the mini moog regulator now, well known and likely any owner could google it up on the web these days and find a good solution that they can implement themselves by following directions, dunno, haven't looked. The advent of the three-terminal precision voltage regulator IC series should have solved this problem easily and likely has.

A pity, I used to make a bit of money making minis road worthy for touring bands back in the day.

You think that's crazy, I actually restore and recreate original tube driven theremins, too. Sorry, "thermionic valve" for you across the water. Better name for it than the colonies' "tube" if you ask me. Dentifrice comes in tubes...

--Mac