Help Please! New user - lost a whole vocal track ...

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
RichK

Help Please! New user - lost a whole vocal track ...

Post by RichK »

... actually my son did - he is pretty upset.

He intended to re-record the beginning segment of his vocal track. He clicked record, and (probably wrongly) said "overwrite". He realized his mistake, DID NOT SAVE, quit the program, but apparently has still lost the track.

Is there any way to recreate the lost track from the various edits in the song folder?
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

Could be one of those files with a '~' in front of it. Try looking at the ones with a '.wav' ext. first. I read this somewhere . . .

Hope this helps. Some tracks cannot be repoduced easily.

Cheers,

Mike
RichK

Post by RichK »

Thanks for the reply.

So, is it correct then that you can lose work even if you do not "Save"?
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

A little note to remember . . . if it's worth keeping, make a backup of the tracks. Just make a copy to another drive, DVD, CD or if you have one, another PC. I'm lucky on that point, I've got my own network of home PC's to copy it to (--...-- --...-- --...--).

Hope you can recreate that track . . . I've lost a few "good" tracks due to getting in too big of a hurry . . .

Cheers,

Mike
Mac

Post by Mac »

The only way to lose tracks with MTS is to tell MTS specifically to delete tracks when you close the program. If he did do that, which is a three step process where you are shown the tracks, select the tracks then tell MTS to delete them, they should still be around somewhere.

See the manual for more details or perhaps Support.

--Mac
RichK

Post by RichK »

Mac wrote:The only way to lose tracks with MTS is to tell MTS specifically to delete tracks when you close the program. If he did do that, which is a three step process where you are shown the tracks, select the tracks then tell MTS to delete them, they should still be around somewhere.

See the manual for more details or perhaps Support.

--Mac
I guess I shouldn't have said the actual track was "lost". The track is still there, but now contains the 20 seconds he re-recorded at the beginning, then 4+ minutes of silence. So there is a "vocals1.wav" file, but what we really want is the previous version. There are several edit files for vocals1, but I don't know if there is some way to rebuild the track from the edits.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Try taking a look at Song-->Find Unused Files.

--Mac
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

When you press that RECORD button MTS asks you whether you really want to delete the track and overwrite it. If he said yes, then that is exactly what mts did. I would say your track is irrretrievably lost. Sorry. :cry:
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

I'd say the file is gone too. :?
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

sinbad wrote:
When you press that RECORD button MTS asks you whether you really want to delete the track and overwrite it. If he said yes, then that is exactly what mts did. I would say your track is irrretrievably lost. Sorry.

Yes its gone. I've done same thing twice so now I really know not to do that no more.
Andr
RichK

Post by RichK »

Thanks all for the information.

I had told him to read the manual first - but he didn't listen. I just read the manual and it makes it pretty clear. It certainly is not intuitive that you lose data without doing a "save", but now we both understand.
Mac

Post by Mac »

It is intuitive for anyone who ever used a multitrack tape deck, though, which is what MTS emulates and is great at IMO.

If you punched the Record button on an already recorded analog tape track and proceeded to let the deck run, you would erase whatever was originally on that track, right?

This is how we all learn, though.

Tell him to sing it again, this time better!

And also tell him that it is a very good idea to copy all works in progress somewhere to keep as a backup while you work! -- This is something we could not do with analog tape because each copy lost resolution from the original.

--Mac