record attempt

Post links to songs you recorded using MultitrackStudio.
SleggTheSockpuppet

record attempt

Post by SleggTheSockpuppet »

just thought i'd post this in an effort to beat my personal best for no. of replies to a songposting on this forum

http://simon.sevcom.com/BadBusinessBB.mp3
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

:shock: unusual lyrics
what did you use to record this stuff with? what kind of mics and recorder and stuff?
SleggTheSockpuppet

Post by SleggTheSockpuppet »

success already - 1 more reply than ever before, even if it does open with a bewildered-face smiley!

recorded in glorious mono with a shure unidyne B mike, my old fostex 4-track cassette thing as a pre-amp, cheap leads, a mouth & a petrof piano
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

pretty decent results for just using one mic. have you thought about getting another mic and doing an coincident pair recording?
simeon psimian

Post by simeon psimian »

kind of you to say so. yes i have ;-)

[had to register as a new user, i changed my password & now i can't get in as sleggthesockpuppet!]
simeon psimian

Post by simeon psimian »

i did in fact buy a new mike last year, but i made a bad choice with one that pretended to be good for piano & bass guitar but was actually much inferior to my old shure thingy

it hasn't been a big deal before because i have always mostly layered one thing at a time, but lately i think i could use at least one more shure type mike

quasi-live recording crept upon me, partly because i took 3 days of work while the kids were at school so i could add vocals to stuff that was waiting & found my laptop is mysteriously incapable of recording in synch (i did an aaaarrrrgghelp! topic, it ended with mac suggesting i reinstall windows, which i have mean meaning to get around to ever since.....), but before i could do that i really needed to sing some
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

I'd say three cheers for a positive result.

Not bad for one mike . . . wait a minute . . . that's all I've got, and not decent one at that. You say that's a Shure? What model?

Mike /..
simeon psimian

Post by simeon psimian »

[reply slightly delayed by a week in spain &/or a dodgy laptopclock - - - now back in norteast england...]

it's a shure unidyne B, i got it second-hand for ?35 10 or 15 years ago i think

& muchas gracias for the kind words, as we say round hereabouts
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

I listened to the words a little clearer . . . I work there. This is a collection of slogans twisted into meaningless group of phrases . . . that almost makes sence . . . (Procol Harum style).

Nice touch . . . and the piano make?

Mike /..
simeon psimian

Post by simeon psimian »

too many of us work there now..... although i also & contrarily harbour the hope that corporate culture, following William Blake's principle that "if the fool would but persist in his folly he would become wise", will eventually mutate into something life-affirming & wonderful (much as the TV sitcom already has done)

never did hear much procul harum, except for their air on a g string, & the words of that never really approached sense for me

it's a Petrof - - & it cost rather more than the mike, & really does deserve a second one some day soonish
Theun

Post by Theun »

Great track! There is a nice (both musical and lyrical) drive feeling in the song, it goes on and on and on ...
Procol Harum style
It reminds me more of Jack Bruce singing lyrics by Pete Brown, very strange lyrics however not really nonsense or absurd, e.g. in White room (by Cream).
simeon psimian

Post by simeon psimian »

thanks very much theun

i've never listened a lot to cream, they are a little butch & rocky for me overall (but a great band nevertheless, i'd have loved them live, i always admired jack's fabulous bass playing, ginger is a great rock drummer and the riff on tales of brave ulysses has made a deep and lasting impression on my approach to rock - -& i'm obviously highly flattered by such a wild comparison!)

i just dug out white room on youtube, i like the tired starlings, restless diesals & the white room where the shadows run from themselves (& i guess pete did too as he repeats it in a few different places)
Theun

Post by Theun »

simeon psimian wrote:the tired starlings, restless diesals & the white room where the shadows run from themselves
It were exactly these kind of phrases your lyrics reminded me of! Though I feel there is also some musical connection.
simeon psimian wrote:the riff on tales of brave ulysses has made a deep and lasting impression on my approach to rock
Tales of brave Ulysses was actually the first Cream song I ever heard. I had made an (incomplete!) tape recording from the radio. I didn't know the band's name, only the name of the track. There was something intricate with that song to me, I kept listening to it, probably because I didn't understand both music and lyrics.
simeon psimian

Post by simeon psimian »

i guess tales has maybe almost my favourite of all those endless corridor psychedelic rock jam riffs, with that lovely bluesy descending run from D down to A (but in this case most of the time not actually getting there); white room main riff is close; & it appears in quite a few of my songs including the one at the top of this thread; i think that and that general relentlessness, a common thing in rock, are what gives your "musical similarity [i have just listened to one that even has wahwah & a similar tune, too long & quite messy, & in this context embarassingly talesy ; & today while the kids were both out i was working towards being able to sing another that i "wrote" (or stole, or compiled?) over the last week or so for some lyrics that previously had a recorded electro setting but nothing i can sing in realtime].

"beautiful as the chance encounter on a dissecting table of hawkwind & jacques brel" - pope debord, a guy from breton
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

The Guiness Book is looming, it must be a proud day for you, your record is in the bag. You realise of course that fame like this will be hard to top.
In this modern world of killer hooks, tight grooves and dynamic-less pop crap your music is a pleasantly refreshing statement, even if sometimes not for the fainthearted. It takes me back to the sixties, to the Incredible String Band, and all that went with it. Thanks for sharing.