Can't record from only Midi

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
ronmadow

Can't record from only Midi

Post by ronmadow »

Using MTS Lite:

My objective is simple (I think):

Record one track from a Midi piano (working fine in my composition software - PrintMusic) Save file Put file on audio CD

I can't seem to figure out how to ONLY allow input from the piano. I always get sound picked up from the internal microphone. I've tried selecting NONE for audio Input in devices screen - then it won't let me record.

Please tell me how to accomplish my objective (listed above)

Thanks,
Ron
Mac

Post by Mac »

Are you wishing to record as Midi data to a midi track or are you wanting the audio output of a midi keyboard to be recorded to an audio track?

The Midi data recording is much nicer, you can do a lot more in the way of edits.

But it sounds like you are trying to record the audio output of a Midi synth and have to go into the Recording mixer software applet for your soundcard and set it to the physical input that the keyboard's audio is connected to, likely "Line In" -- and not some generic "What U Hear" setting that records whatever's on the soundcard's Playback mixer.

--Mac
ronmadow

Post by ronmadow »

I want to do whatever is best.

I have a Yamaha P70. It has Midi In and Out. I have a midi In/Out cable connected to my P70, via USB in to my laptop.

My goal is to record what I'm playing and save the file. What's the best way (and easiest)?

Thanks,
Ron
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

I think you will have another issue with MultitrackStudio Lite: Since it's the Lite version, it's essentially a demo. If I remember correctly mixdown exporting is limited to about 30 seconds I think it is.

Look at the comparison chart at the bottom of this web page: http://www.multitrackstudio.com/feature.php

The Lite version is just to demonstrate the basic features, it's not really designed for full use. Pro Plus is a good version to buy, because it has all of the features. Compared to other multitrack programs out there, it's a good deal pricewise.
ronmadow

Post by ronmadow »

I'll upgrade if I can do what I want... that's no problem. I guess I'm just so new to this that it seems to be a very daunting task. I didn't think recording a simple track from a Yama keyboard would be this complex. I use it all the time for composing into Finale and Sibelius.

I was hoping it would be a matter of do this... then that... then you're done. Guess that was naive of me. :D
Mac

Post by Mac »

Okay, if you are hooked up with both midi cables, you can record a midi track.

First, go to Devices and root around the two buttons there, make sure that your Midi Input and Midi Output ports are assigned to the midi hookup installed on your puter.

Then click on the little button under the trackname of the first track, select New -> .mid file.

Hit the red REC button on that track.

Hit the Transport start arrow button or the Spacebar. Transport indicator will start moving.

Play your keyboard and it should be recording midi data to the track.

Hit Stop when done, hit Rewind or the Home key on the keyboard to bring the Transport back to zero and hit play.

You should hear the midi data playing back on the keyboard's speakers.

If you want to have an audio file of that, you will have to hook up the line outputs of the keyboard to the audio line inputs of the soundcard, select the line input in the soundcard's software mixer, drag a new track to the strips and click New -> .wav track, stereo, hit the red button and then hit play to record the midi data as audio from the keyboard to the audio track.

Don't forget to MUTE the original midi track so you don't hear both play back.

That's all there is to it.

The .pdf manual, you should download and keep it on your desktop, lotta good info in there, don't be daunted, start reading.

Also -- There is a WIZARD under the File menu. Hit that. the bottom of MTS will lead you through this stuff. Not sure if the Wizard is in the demo, never used the demo myself. This software is KILLER, man. I just bought it outright after being miffed about a few other recording softwares and problems, etc. after a good friend kept telling me about MTS. He had albums out there and I still had problems with softwares. Not anymore. MTS flat rocks. And best support on the planet.

--Mac
ronmadow

Post by ronmadow »

Mac, you're a genius. I've got the track recorded from my piano, although I had to record it as a .mid file - the lite version will only let me do that.

Now, the last part of your instructions - I have one question...

If you want to have an audio file of that , you will have to hook up the line outputs of the keyboard to the audio line inputs of the soundcard, select the line input in the soundcard's software mixer, drag a new track to the strips and click New -> .wav track, stereo, hit the red button and then hit play to record the midi data as audio from the keyboard to the audio track.

I do want audio... does this mean I need to record the new track from the existing one? In other words, a second step... I can't record audio and midi at the same time?

Ron
Mac

Post by Mac »

You can record midi, audio or audio and midi at the same time.

BUT -- editing audio is a lot more intensive than editing a midi mistake. The midi pianoroll view allows you to move notes, add notes, change the beginning and end times of notes, man.

I can also cut and paste to extend songs, etc. much nicer.

Especially if you record to the Click track first. (Recording -- Add Click Track is always the first thing I do, then set the metronome.) I set the transport for BARS view and there everything is laid out on the midi timeline bar by bar, beat by beat, man. You can highlight 8 bars, copy and paste 'em elsewhere. You can do stuff like that with audio tracks, too, but lining things up can be a lot harder and if you are recording a midi instrument, why bother?

So I record midi first whenever it is not an acoustic or acoustic-electric instrument or a mic, then when everything is fine I let the midi data play back through the keyboard's synth and at the same time record the synth to audio.

Remember, with midi it is a very tiny amount of data as compared to audio .wav tracks -- a few kilobytes instead of tens of megabytes. This is way cool actually.

You can't hear midi. It is only data that tells the synth what to do at what time. Note on, Note off, pitchwheel here, modwheel there, sustain pedal, etc. Just commands.

Here's a collaboration where I added Midi from the keyboards to tracks cut by a few other guys, I used Multitracks to add my parts and Master, dunno what all they used, likely Powertracks and Sonar:

http://www.audiominds.com/cam/Louisiana ... shDash.mp3

I added the high Wurlitzer piano comp up in the left channel, then added grand piano over on the right. Recorded as midi first and did correct a couple of minor bungles by yours truly before converting to audio. Both of these used the MTS sampler instead of the midi keyboard synth, firing gigasamples. BIG Grand Piano, way back in the mix is all.

Here's another example, a redo from scratch in Multitrack Studio, a few Christmases back:

http://www.audiominds.com/cam/XMAS/Goin_ta_Town.mp3

Pulllennnty of midi editing before converting to audio, I ain't that good...

(There's only one real instrument recorded directly to audio in there somewhere, guess which one.)

MultiTrackStudio is world class.

Rock Solid, easy to use, outstanding effects, the sampler, the wheel organ, the features are astounding and all of them are good, don't get ripped off by the big names out there. Like I did before I discovered MTS.

Not a lot of hassling with computer tweaks and stuff like the other bigname recording softwares, either.

I'm not the genius, Giels may be, though...

I recommend the big full package, it is a bargain at twice the price.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

those are nice compositions mac! :D
Mac

Post by Mac »

Thanks for the flowers, you ole dodecahedron you!

Keep on trackin'...

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

:lol: hehehehe