Wish list for MTS 5 !!

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
sinbad

Wish list for MTS 5 !!

Post by sinbad »

While we are waiting how about if everybody closes their eyes and send their wishes to Giel, you never know....

I would like a less CPU hungry Amp Simulator.. :D
Saz

Re: Wish list for MTS 5 !!

Post by Saz »

sinbad wrote: I would like a less CPU hungry Amp Simulator.. :D
Try this...

http://aradaz.blogspot.com/2008/04/free ... p-vst.html

Want more gain? Try this...

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3242.html

Want even more gain? Put this in front of either one...

http://www.bteaudio.com/software/TSS/TSS.html

You can even get crazy and turn off the cabinet simulations and use one of hundreds of guitar cabinet IR's available online, with the Convolutor or other IR software(keFIR, Boogex, Sir, etc.). Of course that will increase CPU.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Better midi tools, like step sequencing, and more attention to detail features in midi.

A more detailed EQ, with sweeping, for mastering.

A harmonizing plug in, similar to the TC unit in Power tracks, only better, maybe something like a easy version of V-vocal. (trust me I know that is asking alot) But hey, no askey no gettey!

The ever useful looping tool, set regions and render that region to another track.

MP3 support, I.E. tell us what MP3 codex works best and instruction on how to incorporate it.

64 bit support, It is coming fast you know.

Talent Plug in.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Thanks Saz,
I?ll try those as soon as I get the chance. What effect chain would you recommend to get a nice creamy very slightly overdriven blues tone. Something in the direction of Gary Moore in "Still got the blues..". I have an EMG 89 (HB and SC in one) on a tele clone going straight into my laptop via an EMU1616m. Up till now I have got a reasonable sound with the emu fx?s when playing single notes, but get highly distorted crappy sounding chords. :( Any suggestions?
Saz

Post by Saz »

sinbad - I got very close to that sound with the TSS (Gain and Tone maxed) in front of this... http://www.ndzeit.org/guitar/dirthead.html on the Crunch channel (with Gain maxed and the tone controls tweaked a bit) using single-coil mode on the neck pickup of my guitar, with a little reverb. Backing off the volume on the guitar cleaned it up nice for chording. I'm using hot passive pickups on a heavy mahogany guitar, so the tone and sustain will be different from your guitar.

Try it and let me know how it works and we can go from there. I drove this thread OT - PM me at AudioMinds if you want.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Threads are there to get OT'd, but let's get back on track. :)
Something else I would like is a bpm indicator that's always visible in the top of the screen.
ravenmusic

Post by ravenmusic »

One of those nifty automated pan tools for audio, where its possible to easily draw envelopes across the whole stereo field.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Actually you can automate pans in MultitrackStudio Pro Plus.

You right click on a pan knob to accesss it's automation curve. Then I think you hold down the shift key while clicking to add dots to the curve. If you hold down the control key while dragging you draw you panning curve.

http://www.multitrackstudio.com/automation.php
http://www.multitrackstudio.com/autofader.php

After you draw the curve you can copy and paste it to other sections too.
ravenmusic

Post by ravenmusic »

MrHope, Yep that is just the tool I like to use sometimes.

Cheers
evon

Post by evon »

Hi Guys, been sometime. Since we're on the topic, which free plugs would you recommend for getting a reggae type rythm? Anybody?
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Do you mean basses or synths or do you mean echo effects? I'm sorry that I don't really have any ideas for basses or synths specific to reggae. However there is a freeware VST effect called Deelay that is good for a certain kind of reggae filtered feedback delay. I forget which one it is. Online there are actually two different plugins called Deelay. I think the one I'm thinking of is KarmaFX Deelay but I can't remember for sure.
evon

Post by evon »

I am sorry, should have said "rythm guitar". I am fine with the bass and rest but am yet to find a suitable array of synths for reggae rythm guitars. I use Reason 4 a lot for various synths sounds.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

How about a "track freeze" function to take some load off the cpu. :)
NystagmusE

CPU usage and freezing.

Post by NystagmusE »

There is at least a track freeze for VST instruments and the Sampler.

Right-Click on the MIDI track filename and choose "Save As..." Rename the last 3 file letters from .MID to .WAV (or select WAV format from the dropdown menu). Choose 32 bit float format so you can normalize the audio down to 0 dBfs if it is clipping--right after you do this, before editing (edits are done at 32 bit integer resolution I think). The VST instrument (or Sampler) will be rendered to a .WAV file and reloaded with all of it's effect plugins still on it. If you need to revert back to the MIDI file, select it by clicking on the button underneath the MIDI filename.

Perhaps the track freeze function could be extended for audio tracks with CPU-hungry effects on them.

What I do instead, is solo and mix each of them down to a new .WAV track and then reload it. It takes a little bit more effort than track freeze, but it achieves the mostly same results. I just make note of my master bus settings before I do it, so that I can change them and then change them back.

For saving CPU, it also helps to use effects in aux sends instead of in inserts--so that you can use the effect on multiple channels without as much CPU burden as multiple instances of inserts. But I imagine that you already knew that one.

Another thing you could do is use the edit button on an audio track, and apply an effect directly onto the audio via the 3 plugin slots in the edit window. I use this occasionally for reverb/delay tails or BPM-synced filters. It takes a little bit of trial and error, but can be effective. The thing I use this most for, is applying the Classic Master Limiter to audio tracks to fatten them up without clipping them.

Other stuff to reduce CPU load in VST instruments is to turn off/bypass their built-in effects if you're not using them. I'm not absolutely sure if this works all the time, but it's worth a try.

On last trick to reduce CPU use in the Sampler is to reduce the polyphony of the instrument you are using. I set the Click track polyphony all the way down to 1, and other Sampler tracks typically use no more than 4-14.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I unintentionally OT'd the colour thread, sorry, here's my wish again :)

How about an edit undo function that only undoes the last step and not all of em?

plus another one - A little track or master track analyser that tells you where the track is clipping without having to listen all the way through.