Problems hearing myself while recording

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Mick

Problems hearing myself while recording

Post by Mick »

Hi,
I?m new to this Forum and also to this Software, so excuse me for the following really dumb question:

Situation:

I try to record a few Guitar riffs. My Soundcard is a Soundblaster Audigy with its native ASIO drivers (not kx). I?m evaluationg the lite version of MT, but when I solved the problems I want to upgrade to the Pro version.

Problem:

I can record these riffs, but while recording (and only then...) I cannot hear myself playing.
I know where to select the Output in Multitrackstudio, but it dosen?t seem to have much effect. In other words: Does anyone know the correct output for this task?

Greetings,
Mick
Mac

Post by Mac »

Monitoring is set up in the soundcard's software mixer.

Likely you need to select the same input as you have selected in the Recording Properties mixer on the Playback Mixer in order to do this with the Audigy.

If you are using the Line Input in Recording Props, then select the Line Input also in the Playback Mixer and use its fader to adjust the level.

When also wishing to monitor pre-recorded tracks so you can overdub along with them, you have to also make sure that the Wave input in the Playback mixer is selected and adjusted too, so you can hear the pre-recorded tracks.

ASIO may add complications to that with the Audigy card, too, because of the way ASIO presents all those inputs to the host software -- if you don't have an ADAT or other digital input to the card, there are likely only two analog inputs available even though you may see a half zillion listed inside the host when using ASIO drivers. There may be a few more analog inputs depending upon the model of the Audigy card, those with the docking adaptors can have more analog inputs available.

--Mac
Mick

Post by Mick »

mmh, I noticed that every time Iset a track in recording mode it (MT)mutes the particular output, but records its input. ie if I want to record line1 and set the track in recording mode it mutes the line1 output. if I unset the recording mode MT unmutes the output. why? Or is this behaviour only in the evaluation version?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Mick wrote:mmh, I noticed that every time Iset a track in recording mode it (MT)mutes the particular output, but records its input. ie if I want to record line1 and set the track in recording mode it mutes the line1 output. if I unset the recording mode MT unmutes the output. why? Or is this behaviour only in the evaluation version?
Did you also download the MTS manual?

The behavior you cite tells me that the problem is one of understanding how to set up your stuff to monitor while recording.

There is also the same information online as in the manual: http://www.multitrackstudio.com/feature.php

The above is handy for being able to look down a list and hit a button of interest and address a specific problem sometimes, but is not more or less info or ease of use than the .pdf MTS manual using the search function.

The .pdf manual is downloaded here: http://www.multitrackstudio.com/download.php

From what you describe, I'd almost be willing to bet the problem is one having to do with you understanding the Audigy software, specifically the PLAYBACK mixer applet versus the RECORDING mixer applet.

If you have the guitar patched into the LINE input of the card, say, you will be able to hear it when you play it if the PLAYBACK mixer has an activated Line Input with fader up, but as soon as you hit record you can't hear it because the RECORD input mixer is likely set to something else. That is typically one lonely little slider at one side or the other of the Creative Playback Mixer and there is where you select the RECORD input, usually by clicking on a tiny little red arrow above that fader to see all the input options.

--Mac
Mick

Post by Mick »

thanks for your reply, mac.

I?ve already read the manual. I chose the correct input. the problem is that when i hit the record button,
- the corresponding output gets muted
- I can manually unmute this output in creative playback mixer while recording.

When I switch off and on (the track recording button) the output is muted again.
When I stop recording or simply switch off the recording button of the track the specific output gets unmuted.

As you say it?s a problem with understanding that stuff. I don?t understand, which aplication is responsible for muting that output. I?m not quite sure, but I don?t the that the mixer does that, ?cause this behaviour only occurs when MT uses the asio drivers. When I record with winsound I do not have that kind of problems.

thanks for your patience
Mac

Post by Mac »

Mick wrote:this behaviour only occurs when MT uses the asio drivers. When I record with winsound I do not have that kind of problems.
http://audiominds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3099

Check out the above post on my home forum. It may get you headed in the right direction. Even though it refers to the use of another recording software, it points to a problem some have found with Creative ASIO drivers and describes one man's solution.

That forum should now let guests lurk and view but not post. If it doesn't, let me know. Yet another software to be figured out... (grin)

--Mac
Mick

Post by Mick »

Hi Mac,

thanks again!
After I read this, the post in the other Forum and after testing a while, I decided to use the kx-project drivers.
After having trouble uninstalling the creative stuff, especially the asio driver components (registry editing did the trick), and installing the kx drivers all recordig and monitoring goes fine.

Thanks again for your help and your patience for a noob :wink:
Mac

Post by Mac »

I don't think you lost anything by installing the KX drivers, mick, matter of fact I think you have just upgraded the soundcard. Literally.

A bit more headroom and a better signal to noise ratio happened when I tried the KX drivers on an old Live card.

They were built for multitrack recording and music making by music makers.

While I did not have any trouble recording or monitoring or doing anything else I wanted to do with the original Creative software, it was kind of startling to find that merely changing drivers and associated control software made such a difference in the way the hardware worked -- and sounded better.

You done good,

--Mac